The Student Room Group

How to find cheap moped/scooter insurance? 50cc 16 year old road legal help.

being a 16 year old with a UK provisional moped, I can ride a 50cc road legal bike, having passed my CBT etc and checked insurance on numerous 50cc vehicles (aprilia rs50/ motorhispania rx50/ yamaha tzr 50) I am still getting quotes of about 800£ per year on a little 50cc bike????

Last year my brother had a 50cc moped and insured it for about 300£. Any tips and good cheap moped/scooter insurances?
(edited 5 years ago)
Loads of members have been saying this place has saved them a ton for moped and scooter insurance.

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

One guy (discussion here) said his quote went down from £720 to £435!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Only real advice would be to shop around, as I recall my first moped insurance was £250 third party only which wasn't too bad. Also the choice of bike would make a big difference, go for something different such as a plain Honda and not something that all the "Chavs" would go for.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 5 years ago)
What insurance are you looking at? Have you compared third party, third party fire and theft, and fully comp?
Have you included it being stored in a garage/disk lock/alarm?
Have you tried putting your brother on as a named rider?
What mileage have you tried? the average biker does 3500miles a year.
What excess have you put down? Try putting £250 or 500 down rather than 0. Or try changing it to 0, it might not make a difference.
Also ring them, and try to argue that its ridiculous, do they have any schemes to lower insurance.

What age bike are you insuring? Just as a comparison, i can insure my 650 for £60 tpft, which was made in 2000, my cbr600 costs twice that and it's a 2002 bike, with a slightly higher insurance group. Might be worth looking at a insurance groups and the age of bikes
(edited 5 years ago)
I have a full car licence which ive held since 93 can i add my husband as a named rider with a provisinal licence and a cbt on my scooter insurance
Original post by Professor Oak
Loads of members have been saying this place has saved them a ton for moped and scooter insurance.

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/

One guy (discussion here) said his quote went down from £720 to £435!

Original post by Yvonnewalsh1
I have a full car licence which ive held since 93 can i add my husband as a named rider with a provisinal licence and a cbt on my scooter insurance

You know this thread is from 2013? :laugh:

@Yvonnewalsh1 you'll need to speak to your insurer directly with that enquiry I'm afraid.

Latest