The Student Room Group

foundation year at kingston for pharmacy

hi, I am going to be studying the foundation year at kingston for pharmacy as i did a btec and even though i got a D*DD i still need an a level. i want to progress onto pharmacy after this. if anyone has done it can you please tell me how it went.
Original post by G_I129
hi, I am going to be studying the foundation year at kingston for pharmacy as i did a btec and even though i got a D*DD i still need an a level. i want to progress onto pharmacy after this. if anyone has done it can you please tell me how it went.

Hiya :smile:

The foundation should give you the grounding you need to progress onto the three year course.

If no one replies to you here, you could contact the uni and see if it's possible for them to connect you with someone that has done this route too?
Original post by She-Ra

The foundation should give you the grounding you need to progress onto the three year course.

If no one replies to you here, you could contact the uni and see if it's possible for them to connect you with someone that has done this route too?

pharmacy is an undergrad masters (so 4 years). Essentially the way foundation pharm works in most schools is that the 1st year of the standard MPharm course is split into 2 years with half the modules being taught per year, in addition to students essentially redoing A level bio, chem, physics and maths & doing work experience. The essentially doing A levels is because it isnt actually a levels but A level equivalents.

But yes, after completing the foundation portion, people get a degree in foundation science and then progress to the 2nd year of the MPharm programme with knowledge which would have been obtained in the 1st year of the standard degree
Original post by G_I129

Hi there, I didnt study foundation pharm (standard pharm) but have a few friends who went the foundation route at different unis. Essentially the 1st 2 years of foundation pharmacy is the 1st year of the standard MPharm split into 2 years with foundation modules being taught alongside it. These foundation modules are essentially A level bio, chem, physics and maths. After you complete the 2 foundation years (some unis have a 60-70% pass mark...which is acheivable), you are awarded a foundation degree in science and can enrol straight onto the 2nd year of the MPharm course. regarding the need for additional A levels, like @She-Ra mentioned, you would need to enquire with your uni admissions people.

In any case, best of luck (just because you have a foundation degree, doesnt mean you cant prosper, more people in my year who did foundation got first/distinction than those who did standard MPharm - i reckon doing foundation acts as an extra motivation to prove yourself)
Original post by quasa
Hi there, I didnt study foundation pharm (standard pharm) but have a few friends who went the foundation route at different unis. Essentially the 1st 2 years of foundation pharmacy is the 1st year of the standard MPharm split into 2 years with foundation modules being taught alongside it. These foundation modules are essentially A level bio, chem, physics and maths. After you complete the 2 foundation years (some unis have a 60-70% pass mark...which is acheivable), you are awarded a foundation degree in science and can enrol straight onto the 2nd year of the MPharm course. regarding the need for additional A levels, like @She-Ra mentioned, you would need to enquire with your uni admissions people.

In any case, best of luck (just because you have a foundation degree, doesnt mean you cant prosper, more people in my year who did foundation got first/distinction than those who did standard MPharm - i reckon doing foundation acts as an extra motivation to prove yourself)

Thank you :hat2:
Original post by She-Ra
Thank you :hat2:

hakuna matata.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by She-Ra

ok thank you very much
Reply 7
ated g
Original post by quasa

ok, thank you, but i am not doing the foundation year for two years this one is only one year and then I think if i get the 70% then i can progress onto the first year of pharmacy. yea i think by doing this year will make me more motivated as i haven't done any exam based work for two years, but i am very scared and nervous for uni life. did your friends all progress onto the second year of the MPharm course?

are you currently studying pharmacy to ?
Original post by G_I129
ated g

ok, thank you, but i am not doing the foundation year for two years this one is only one year and then I think if i get the 70% then i can progress onto the first year of pharmacy. yea i think by doing this year will make me more motivated as i haven't done any exam based work for two years, but i am very scared and nervous for uni life. did your friends all progress onto the second year of the MPharm course?

are you currently studying pharmacy to ?

I graduated 5 years ago :lol: and all but 1 of my foundation friends graduated (although the one who didnt, he dropped out as he had a drinking problem and did some drunken vandalism and got kicked off the course). regarding uni based life, dont be scared. Freshers week is a bit scary but is designed to make you be more comfortable as well. in the age we live in, we can video chat with out loved ones and have regular contact with people we left behind for uni so it isnt too bad.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by quasa
I graduated 5 years ago :lol: and all but 1 of my foundation friends graduated (although the one who didnt, he dropped out as he had a drinking problem and did some drunken vandalism and got kicked off the course). regarding uni based life, dont be scared. Freshers week is a bit scary but is designed to make you be more comfortable as well. in the age we live in, we can video chat with out loved ones and have regular contact with people we left behind for uni so it isnt too bad.

ok lool, thank you hopefully it will go smoothly. but i just have one last question, even though you did not do the foundation year did your friends also need to take maths exams as well as the biology, chemistry and physics?

are you now doing community pharmacy
Original post by G_I129
ok lool, thank you hopefully it will go smoothly. but i just have one last question, even though you did not do the foundation year did your friends also need to take maths exams as well as the biology, chemistry and physics?

are you now doing community pharmacy

yup and sadly yes (am locumming in community)
Reply 11
Original post by quasa
yup and sadly yes (am locumming in community)

ok, do you not enjoy the community pharmacy lol
Hi,Do you know what universities accept Applied science for pharmacy with a foundation year, please?
Reply 13
Hi! Are u in MPharm now at Kingston university? I’m currently there I have some questions for 2/3/4th year students
Search up on Kingston search bar "Chat"
You can chat with the people who is taking Mpharm from there!
I wanted to ask what the timetable is like from before and after, and how it has an impact on them.

They were very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending