The Student Room Group

Airport Alone!

Hey guys!

So next week I'm travelling to Cyprus to stay with family who live there. I'll be flying alone, any tips for airports/ flights on my own?

I've flown at least a hundred times before and I feel pretty confident with it, but this is the first time I'll be by myself. I'm 17 by the way.
Reply 1
Lol it's not that deep :biggrin:

You just need to know where to go and what to do. The people working there will help you if you need any.
Original post by I'm God
Lol it's not that deep :biggrin:

You just need to know where to go and what to do. The people working there will help you if you need any.

Any tips on things to take with me? :smile: For the airport the flight
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Evelynlikestea
Any tips on things to take with me? :smile:

Passport,
Reply 4
Any tips on things to take with me? :smile:

What do you need to take?

I usually only take clothes and a bit of food tbh, along with a passport and essentials
Original post by Andrew97
Passport,

Helpful 😂 thanks
Helpful 😂 thanks

Only joking, something to do on the plane.

Maybe a book too read?
Download a movie onto an iPad,

A puzzle book
A newspaper.
Hey guys!

So next week I'm travelling to Cyprus to stay with family who live there. I'll be flying alone, any tips for airports/ flights on my own?

I've flown at least a hundred times before and I feel pretty confident with it, but this is the first time I'll be by myself. I'm 17 by the way.
Some things to take in your bag:
Chewing gum, snacks, hand sanatiser, deodorant, wet wipes, hand cream, lip balm, face mask (optional), hair ties, some makeup/ makeup remover, sleeping mask (plane might provide), water (also provided on plane but take some anyway) iPad to watch movies/ tv shows on and play games or a laptop, bring a book (optional), toothbrush and toothpaste, paracetamol/ other medication, perfume (sample sized), pore strips (again optional.)
Just do exactly the same thing as if you were with someone. it's not that deep
Original post by gabriellakhan
Some things to take in your bag:
Chewing gum, snacks, hand sanatiser, deodorant, wet wipes, hand cream, lip balm, face mask (optional), hair ties, some makeup/ makeup remover, sleeping mask (plane might provide), water (also provided on plane but take some anyway) iPad to watch movies/ tv shows on and play games or a laptop, bring a book (optional), toothbrush and toothpaste, paracetamol/ other medication, perfume (sample sized), pore strips (again optional.)

They are going to Cyprus, not to the moon. 😂😂
Dear the rays of sunshine saying "it's not that deep",
I'm asking for suggestions of things to take on the plane and to the airport with me and how to make sure I get around okay on my own since I'll probably get super anxious about it. If you find it easy, good for you! I'm just asking in case someone mentions something little that I might forget since it's been covered for me in the past 😊
Download the local map of where you're going on Google maps. Make sure you've got the address of the hotel written somewhere offline. That way if for some reason your SIM decides not to work abroad, you've still got the info.

Take a book or something to entertain yourself in the airport/on the plane. It's kind of boring without people to chat to.

Think about your luggage. You need to be able to carry it all yourself (obviously) and be able to take your handluggage everywhere with you in the airport, including into toilet cubicals and whatever.
Hey guys!

I've flown to and from America by myself a few times. Just make sure you get to the airport on time. Follow the signs to security etc. Everywhere is signposted and there's loads of staff to help you.

While waiting for my flight I find a seat in the waiting area and read a book, play on my phone etc. I eat food if it's around a meal time.

As soon as the gate shows on the board I make my way there. Again it's all signposted.

Just keep your belongings close to you and you'll be fine.
Hey guys!

I had never been on a plane on my own until I did it for work, now I'm used to it.

Thing I have on my checklist when I'm travelling alone through airports:
-Keep your passport/wallet/phone safe.
-Take a portable charger. You're on your own, and have no chat. You *will* use your phone for music/internet/social media etc. You'll probably need to charge it.
-Buy a magazine at the airport. They're a good way of wasting a fair bit of time. I normally buy something like Top Gear magazine, something I wouldn't normally buy but that interests me.
-Most airports have deals if you buy a bottle of water you get a free newspaper. Make use of it. They use up time.
-Wander round the shops. It's incredibly boring sitting alone.
-If you have the ability to do the handsfree check on, use it (I usually fly BA or Easyjet with work, and they offer the handsfree thing where they take your cabin luggage. It's so much better when you're on your own to not have to lug a cabin bag around behind you. It's usually like an extra £10 but worth the money)
-Sleep on the plane, get some chilled music on and snooze. You'll have already had to fight through security on your own, wait on your own. You'll be bored - snoozing passes the time of the flight quicker.
Any tips on things to take with me? :smile: For the airport the flight

Parachute
They are going to Cyprus, not to the moon. 😂😂

And most of these items would be confiscated from your hand luggage, lol.
Only joking, something to do on the plane.

Maybe a book too read?
Download a movie onto an iPad,

A puzzle book
A newspaper.

A Bible
Original post by KittyN
Download the local map of where you're going on Google maps. Make sure you've got the address of the hotel written somewhere offline. That way if for some reason your SIM decides not to work abroad, you've still got the info.

Take a book or something to entertain yourself in the airport/on the plane. It's kind of boring without people to chat to.

Think about your luggage. You need to be able to carry it all yourself (obviously) and be able to take your handluggage everywhere with you in the airport, including into toilet cubicals and whatever.

That's fine I'm staying with family so they're picking me up from the airport when I get there. I'll probably just take a backpack so hand luggage won't be a problem.

Looks like a book and downloading some Netflix shows is the way to go!

Quick Reply

Latest