The Student Room Group

What is university like for a stay-at-home student?

I am hoping to start university this year and, if I'm accepted into my first choice, I am likely to stay at home while going there. I would like to know what it would be like to stay at home while attending, seeing as in many other students will be coming from elsewhere.

Does anyone have a guess at the costs of staying at home which will, obviously, be a lot less than moving? I don't intend to spend a lot on eating outside of the house so the primary costs will be the university costs and commuting, where I intend to use the bus as the universities only around 8 miles away.

I know that the price is, of course, the biggest advantage but does anyone know what the others are? And what will the problems be with staying at home? I mean, it's always an option to move in the second year, but I'd still like to know what the first year will be like.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BurstChaos1
I am hoping to start university this year and, if I'm accepted into my first choice, I am likely to stay at home while going there. I would like to know what it would be like to stay at home while attending, seeing as in many other students will be coming from elsewhere.

Does anyone have a guess at the costs of staying at home which will, obviously, be a lot less than moving? I don't intend to spend a lot on eating outside of the house so the primary costs will be the university costs and commuting, where I intend to use the bus as the universities only around 8 miles away.

I know that the price is, of course, the biggest advantage but does anyone know what the others are? And what will the problems be with staying at home? I mean, it's always an option to move in the second year, but I'd still like to know what the first year will be like.

Hi, where you going to? I’m starting sheff hallam and I’m living at home too . I’m 28 and have a dog so can’t move away. !
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Hi, where you going to? I’m starting sheff hallam and I’m living at home too . I’m 28 and have a dog so can’t move away. !

I am hoping to go to UOB but I'll be living with my parents, so there's a difference there.
I'm planning on commuting to the University of Leeds from Lincolnshire as there is a direct route from my local town to the city, so it is nice to encounter a fellow stay-at-home student!

If anything, I believe that staying at home during your studies will be beneficial by preparing you for travelling when you enter full-time employment after finishing university and, as long as transport is available, you can easily meet up with your friends (or even stay over with them). :smile:
Reply 4
I'm a part-time MSc student and I commute from Lincoln to the University of Derby.

The commute is the worst thing for me. All of my lectures are until 8pm so by that point, I wish I lived local to the uni, especially since by the time I get back into Lincoln, all of my course mates have been home about three hours!

It's not all bad though. It hasn't affected my learning and I've still managed to make friends, build good rapport with my lecturers, go on nights out. etc.
Reply 5
I am hoping to go to UOB but I'll be living with my parents, so there's a difference there.

I'm a stay at home student going to the university of Bradford, I'm not a morning person at all (and my health is kind of dodgy) but I've managed okay with the commute by train (even with the stupidly early rush hour trains to get in for 9am lectures). I'm not into parties etc but I've made and kept friends okay - my tip is to find others who are commuting too as you'll all be on the same page :smile:
(If the UOB you're referring to is Bradford then there's a good proportion of commuting students so there'll probably be at least one other person on your course who's commuting as well).
I live at home and commute. My main cost is petrol and parking as I drive about half an hour /45 minutes to uni and have to park in the city centre. The traffic in the morning means I have to leave at about 7:30 for a 9am lecture but usually end up getting there early. It can sometimes be difficult to see friends as they all live so close so can see each other whenever but I’m not too far and it sounds like you’re quite close so that shouldn’t be too bad. You just have to make an effort to make good friends on your course or through societies since you won’t have the opportunities that halls provide.
Im at Bradford Uni and I stay at home. I would say as long as you try and stay involved with groups and make a few friends you should have no problem, there will be loads of people also living at home. Im not into parties or drinking or going out so i can't tell you whether staying at home would affect this, but i don't feel like i miss out on anything because i stay at home.

One problem you may have is that you can get into a habit of going home and losing the feeling of wanting to work or remembering what you were doing, especially if you have to travel a long distance. I would say try and stay at the uni as much as possible in the library or by booking a room for group study if you can, as i think students that live on campus stay in the library a lot more because it is easily accessible to them, whereas you may finish a lecture and go home, and not feel like making the journey again later on when you want peace and quiet to work. Obviously you can work at home if thats best for you, but i feel that theres something about being in a library full of people working that motivates me to get on with my own work.

Again, just try and stay involved with groups and events and stuff, you'll make friends from other courses and might even find someone who lives near you who you can travel with and see outside of uni. Good Luck!
Original post by Ayesha_Johnson
I live at home and commute. My main cost is petrol and parking as I drive about half an hour /45 minutes to uni and have to park in the city centre. The traffic in the morning means I have to leave at about 7:30 for a 9am lecture but usually end up getting there early.
Original post by Ayesha_Johnson

Do you park in the uni car park? I am worried about having to park there as i can never find any spaces and several times i have come and left after not being able to park, even sometimes missing appointments because of it. Im from the Law department on Emm lane but they are moving us the the main campus, and the only option i really have is to continue parking at emm lane and catch the uni bus, but sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to do the 15 minute drive just to emm lane
Is there just one car park? it seems as though it is very small for such a big uni haha
thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by GSedgley

Do you park in the uni car park? I am worried about having to park there as i can never find any spaces and several times i have come and left after not being able to park, even sometimes missing appointments because of it. Im from the Law department on Emm lane but they are moving us the the main campus, and the only option i really have is to continue parking at emm lane and catch the uni bus, but sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to do the 15 minute drive just to emm lane
Is there just one car park? it seems as though it is very small for such a big uni haha
thanks in advance :smile:

I'm on the main campus and there a few places to park but there's a lot of competition for parking spaces (i.e. there's not enough for everyone who wants to park at the uni) and I believe you need to buy a permit to park at the campus as well.
Hope this helps :smile:
(If you have any other questions about the main campus feel free to ask).
(edited 5 years ago)
The University I was referring to was University of Birmingham; I do apologise for not making that clear but, listening to all of you, makes me happy I won't be driving. The convenience would be really good but it might cause more problems for me.

Does anyone have an idea of the rough costs and what they spend it on?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fujoshi
I'm on the main campus and there a few places to park but there's a lot of competition for parking spaces (i.e. there's not enough for everyone who wants to park at the uni) and I believe you need to buy a permit to park at the campus as well.
Hope this helps :smile:
(If you have any other questions about the main campus feel free to ask).

Thank you
I have had permits the past two years and they are letting us have them without charge this year because they are moving us, but i dont know whether it is worth driving to main campus and risking being late because of the lack of parking or just leaving my car and getting the bus (which thankfully is free, or used to be anyway)
The only times i have been to main campus is to use the library occasionally or for exams, so i feel like im starting uni all over again in a new place! hopefully it will be worth it but i will miss our little campus haha
Thanks again :smile:
I'm just entering final year at Aston and I have to take 2 buses from home to uni (between 1.5 - 2 hours depending on traffic). It means getting up earlier and having to carry more around with you all day, laptop, books etc.
As for costs, as well as travel pass (about £400 per year) you need to consider food and drink. When I meet up with mates, many of whom commute, we tend to go for a coffee. Do this 2 times a day and that's £5, pick up breakfast on way in = £2-3, and whatever you need for lunch. I tend to take at least £10 a day to be safe.
No doubt there are cheaper coffee shops etc but that's up to you and your new uni mates to find one you prefer.
Im at Bradford Uni and I stay at home. I would say as long as you try and stay involved with groups and make a few friends you should have no problem, there will be loads of people also living at home. Im not into parties or drinking or going out so i can't tell you whether staying at home would affect this, but i don't feel like i miss out on anything because i stay at home.

One problem you may have is that you can get into a habit of going home and losing the feeling of wanting to work or remembering what you were doing, especially if you have to travel a long distance. I would say try and stay at the uni as much as possible in the library or by booking a room for group study if you can, as i think students that live on campus stay in the library a lot more because it is easily accessible to them, whereas you may finish a lecture and go home, and not feel like making the journey again later on when you want peace and quiet to work. Obviously you can work at home if thats best for you, but i feel that theres something about being in a library full of people working that motivates me to get on with my own work.

Again, just try and stay involved with groups and events and stuff, you'll make friends from other courses and might even find someone who lives near you who you can travel with and see outside of uni. Good Luck!

This is good advice, thanks. I’m travelling to sheff by car and train which is 45 mins on train and 15 in car . I am hoping to try and get some work done at uni when there is people around to help and hopefully meet friends to work together even tho I may get singled out a bit as they will probably have other plans to do their work. But I will try and sometimes stay / sometimes go home to do work.
The University I was referring to was University of Birmingham; I do apologise for not making that clear but, listening to all of you, makes me happy I won't be driving. The convenience would be really good but it might cause more problems for me.

Does anyone have an idea of the rough costs and what they spend it on?

I imagine that Birmingham will be similar to Bradford seeing as they're both city universities so yeah I'd say taking the bus will be less stressful than driving.

Where I live there's no big metropolitan areas to subsidise rail fares so I get the joy of having my train tickets pretty much double in price for being all of one stop outside of west Yorkshire so yeah most of my costs are paying for train tickets (I get monthly season tickets) but even then my travel costs for the year are about a grand.
My course doesn't really have required textbooks, I usually bring food from home and I don't go out drinking so I don't have many other costs to cover.
Although you can usually find required textbooks in the library if you need to read a really expensive one.

Thank you
I have had permits the past two years and they are letting us have them without charge this year because they are moving us, but i dont know whether it is worth driving to main campus and risking being late because of the lack of parking or just leaving my car and getting the bus (which thankfully is free, or used to be anyway)
The only times i have been to main campus is to use the library occasionally or for exams, so i feel like im starting uni all over again in a new place! hopefully it will be worth it but i will miss our little campus haha
Thanks again :smile:

I've only seem pictures of the em lane campus but it looks really pretty. Do you know which building you'll mostly be in when you move to the city campus?
Depends what you want from your social life some of us prefer having the option to disappear as a hermit elsewhere lol
Original post by Ridinghigh95
This is good advice, thanks. I’m travelling to sheff by car and train which is 45 mins on train and 15 in car . I am hoping to try and get some work done at uni when there is people around to help and hopefully meet friends to work together even tho I may get singled out a bit as they will probably have other plans to do their work. But I will try and sometimes stay / sometimes go home to do work.

Im sure you’ll find lots of people in the same situation as you, and you can try and make an arrangement to have group study sessions at a time when you are all free (eg an hour after a lesson) just to go through stuff and ask for help from each other, it really makes a difference to have another student explaining something to you rather than a teacher. I have one friend who explains everything in such a way that the most confusing and difficult lectures instantly seem much clearer, even though the teachers are very patient and willing to answer any questions we may have
You’ll probably have to do group work at some point which will help you as well

I felt as though I would be singled out for living at home too, but honestly I haven’t at all, if anything people have tried to include me in their activities more and invited me to go to their place to revise or even to sleep over at theirs before a really early exam so I didn’t have to travel as far or worry about the traffic

If you have any questions about uni I’d be happy to answer them the best I can :smile:
Original post by Fujoshi
I've only seem pictures of the em lane campus but it looks really pretty. Do you know which building you'll mostly be in when you move to the city campus?

Its beautiful, my friend joked that i got my hogwarts letter when was accepted. Its mostly all modern buildings though, just the front part is what you see in the photos.
I think we are sharing with social sciences, ashfield i think? i know where it is at least haha
I was so upset that we are moving, I dont do well with big crowds and panic easily so emm lane was perfect for me, however at least it was like a step from sixth form to a small uni, then to a large uni, instead of being thrown in at the deep end in a huge uni that i couldn't possibly find my way around. i am looking forward to spending more time in the big library!
Original post by Fujoshi
Depends what you want from your social life some of us prefer having the option to disappear as a hermit elsewhere lol

i agree, im really not into going out or parties or anything, so being at home is great for me. I know other people who live at home who have just as good of a social life at those that live on campus though
Im sure you’ll find lots of people in the same situation as you, and you can try and make an arrangement to have group study sessions at a time when you are all free (eg an hour after a lesson) just to go through stuff and ask for help from each other, it really makes a difference to have another student explaining something to you rather than a teacher. I have one friend who explains everything in such a way that the most confusing and difficult lectures instantly seem much clearer, even though the teachers are very patient and willing to answer any questions we may have
You’ll probably have to do group work at some point which will help you as well

I felt as though I would be singled out for living at home too, but honestly I haven’t at all, if anything people have tried to include me in their activities more and invited me to go to their place to revise or even to sleep over at theirs before a really early exam so I didn’t have to travel as far or worry about the traffic

If you have any questions about uni I’d be happy to answer them the best I can :smile:

Aww thanks, that’s great. I must admit I’m a bit worried about it as I don’t meet friends that well as it is but I don’t ever get the chance too. I’m hoping we can do some group study together and will invite me/ let me join in! But that makes me feel better that you found it all ok. I hope people are nice like that and try and include me in things, I’ll certainly try with everyone too :smile: I’m a bit older so I’m not into drinking loads but I would like a fun night out now and then and do things as I’ve missed out on all that over the years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending