The Student Room Group

What was harder, GCSEs or Access to Higher Education?

I've recently done my gcses and I'm going to do access to higher education programming/computingthis september, I was wondering which one was easier for people who have done this? GCSE's or AtHE?
Reply 1
computer science as a subject in a levels is hard im not sure its a BTEC Level 3 but if it is then it would be all coursework which is easier than A levels as no exams and then you can get into apprentship after which u will get paid and it can be easier than uni or you can forget A levels and BTEC and go straight to Apprentship and get paid to learn
Reply 2
bump
GCSE is a qualification for finishing school. The access course prepares you for university(just like alevels) so of course it’s going to be harder.

GCSEs = lvl 2

Alevels/access course = lvl 3

I’ve just finished my access course and I’m heading to university.

Was it hard? Yes.

Harder than alevels? No.

Harder than BTEC? Yes.
As it's preparing you for university, I'd assume it's one level up from GCSEs and is equivalent to A levels or a diploma, so yes, it will be harder each stage you move up.
Reply 5
Original post by TheJohnM
GCSE is a qualification for finishing school. The access course prepares you for university(just like alevels) so of course it’s going to be harder.

GCSEs = lvl 2

Was it hard? Yes.

Harder than alevels? No.

Harder than BTEC? Yes.

How hard would it be to get this with access, this is what is required for me to be on this university course I want to do:

80 UCAS points, including 56 points from two A levels or equivalent, or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.
Original post by Geduzo
How hard would it be to get this with access, this is what is required for me to be on this university course I want to do:

80 UCAS points, including 56 points from two A levels or equivalent, or an alternative qualification such as an Access course.

Easy!!!! 80 ucas points isn’t much at all. I have just done an access course. Of course it’s harder than gcse it’s a level stuff but different.
Reply 7
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Easy!!!! 80 ucas points isn’t much at all. I have just done an access course. Of course it’s harder than gcse it’s a level stuff but different.

In terms of grades 1 - 9, where would you rank 80 ucas points from an access course?
Original post by TheJohnM

GCSEs = lvl 2

Was it hard? Yes.

Harder than alevels? No.

Harder than BTEC? Yes.
Very subjective, Each access course is different and the learning style suits some more than others. On my access most agreed it was more difficult than a levels and when i had my uni interview i spoke to two people who said their 1st year was easier than their access course. Out of interest what where your final results?
Original post by Geduzo
In terms of grades 1 - 9, where would you rank 80 ucas points from an access course?

I don’t know because access isn’t graded like that. You get pass merit or distinction. I think your whittling a bit too much. If that’s all you need for your uni course, work hard on the access and you’ll do that easy. Without a doubt. You need to put the effort in how ever as it can get really tough at times. What is the uni degree your wanting to do? I’m doing biology which requires 96-112 ucas points for it. I got 128.but it asked in terms of distinctions which they required 15 I got 30. Some require less some more. But you should be able to achieve that. Have you looked on ucas to see what their requirements are at access ?? They may just ask for so many credits at level 3 , which may not require any distinctions at all.
Reply 10
bump
Reply 11
bump
Original post by Geduzo
bump

Why do you keep bumping it when you have the answers ? Have you actually looked into anything yourself as it seems not
Reply 13
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Why do you keep bumping it when you have the answers ? Have you actually looked into anything yourself as it seems not

Want more opinions and other peoples experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending