The Student Room Group

Low 2:2 second year, I'm determined to graduate with a FIRST... (Help Needed)

Update: Read the update and see what grade the OP got here >>

Hey guys,

So to cut to the point, I got 53.5 Aggregate in the second year of my course (I'm doing Business Studies)... I realize that I've put myself in an unfavorable position here. However, I know I can do better and I'm determined to work my ass off in the final year of my degree to push for higher marks. I'm about to finish my placement year where I did a self-employment (working on my business). This year has helped me a lot, to understand work ethic and what it takes to succeed in something when you put your mind and soul to it...

My degree is split into the following: the 2nd year is 25% of my final mark & the final year is 75%.

What do I need, to average in my final year modules to achieve a First or a 2:1 overall? I would also like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they handled it and what was the outcome ... I know you're probably thinking that I'm out of my mind... going from a low 2:2 to a First... but as they say 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.' *stars being a 2:1 :colondollar:*

I'm prepared for this challenge.

P.S My course hasn't got a dissertation, we have to do a research paper but it counts like a normal module would. We normally have 6 modules each having 20 credits attached to it.

Thank you to all who decide to take some time out of their day to help with this, it means much more to me than you think.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by journeytoa1st
What do I need, to average in my final year modules to achieve a First or a 2:1 overall?

You need GCSE maths. Then you'll be able to do this simple calculation yourself.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sulfolobus
You need GCSE maths. Then you'll be able to do this simply calculation yourself.

Hey, thanks for replying, that's one of the reasons why I posted, I don't know how to calculate it. Can you please help:smile:
Hey, thanks for replying, that's one of the reasons why I posted, I don't know how to calculate it. Can you please help:smile:

You need 75.67 across the 75% to graduate with a 1st.
You need 62.33 across the 75% to graduate with a 2:1
(edited 5 years ago)

I will calculate it for you.
Instead of being a **** like the other guy.
Use excel.
Also it is more difficult than it looks... marks.PNG
You need 76 in year 3 to get a first.

I'll add it's very possible to achieve 75.5 marks average and get a first but you must work your socks off from day 1!
That means revising from the start, doing your class/tutorial work, asking the class teacher/lecturer for help for anything and everything you get confused on, doing loads of questions, doing extra questions!
I don't know how hard you worked in year 2 to get 53 but you're going to need to do a lot more. A lot more.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BR260799
You need 75.67 across the 75% to graduate with a 1st.
You need 62.33 across the 75% to graduate with a 2:1

Thank you very much!!
Thank you very much!!

Np 😁
Original post by pereira325
I will calculate it for you.
Instead of being a **** like the other guy.
Use excel.
Also, it is more difficult than it looks... marks.PNG
You need 76 in year 3 to get a first.

Thank you!!! Is getting 76 in the Final year next to impossible? I'm doing Business Studies, so I don't know if that means anything. But I'm prepared to dedicate every minute to achieve a higher grade.
Thank you!!! Is getting 76 in the Final year next to impossible? I'm doing Business Studies, so I don't know if that means anything. But I'm prepared to dedicate every minute to achieve a higher grade.

Well no it's not impossible.
I don't know the statistics for what % of people get 70+ but it's atleast 25% I think.

I don't do business studies either but I mean get good grades throughout the year... don't slack on 1st or 2nd semester assessed coursework stuff for instance.

All I can say is goodluck really and you can do it.
Original post by pereira325
Well no it's not impossible.
I don't know the statistics for what % of people get 70+ but it's atleast 25% I think.

I don't do business studies either but I mean get good grades throughout the year... don't slack on 1st or 2nd semester assessed coursework stuff for instance.

All I can say is goodluck really and you can do it.

You're the GOAT thank you!
Hey guys,

So to cut to the point, I got 53.5 Aggregate in the second year of my course (I'm doing Business Studies)... I realize that I've put myself in an unfavorable position here. However, I know I can do better and I'm determined to work my ass off in the final year of my degree to push for higher marks. I'm about to finish my placement year where I did a self-employment (working on my business). This year has helped me a lot, to understand work ethic and what it takes to succeed in something when you put your mind and soul to it...

My degree is split into the following: the 2nd year is 25% of my final mark & the final year is 75%.

What do I need, to average in my final year modules to achieve a First or a 2:1 overall? I would also like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they handled it and what was the outcome ... I know you're probably thinking that I'm out of my mind... going from a low 2:2 to a First... but as they say 'Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.' *stars being a 2:1 :colondollar:*

I'm prepared for this challenge.

P.S My course hasn't got a dissertation, we have to do a research paper but it counts like a normal module would. We normally have 6 modules each having 20 credits attached to it.

Thank you to all who decide to take some time out of their day to help with this, it means much more to me than you think.

Hey - if you need any help with the research paper feel free to PM me, and I will be happy to help.

thanks
UPDATE!!!

So just got results for final year (still pending exam board approval).

I got 73.6 Aggregate in the final year.

So did I miss a 1st by 2 marks?
UPDATE!!!

According to unigradecalc.com, if you got 53.5 in second year which is worth 25% overall, and 73.6 in final year worth 75%, you would finish with an overall degree mark of 68%.

You'll have to investigate whether your university has a policy of rounding up a mark like this or not.
UPDATE!!!

Looks to me like a miss by 1.9.

Have you checked your degree regulations for alternative methods of classification other than simple numerical averages?
Original post by ageshallnot
Looks to me like a miss by 1.9.

Have you checked your degree regulations for alternative methods of classification other than simple numerical averages?

Yes, I will paste what they said below. Shame that I managed to finish last year with a First but might not be able to get it as as an overall grade (yeah, I know it's my fault for messing up the second year), anyway here is what they told us:

At the Examination Board, the profile of each individual student is considered to determine their final classification. This is calculated in two ways and the Examination Board will award you the higher of the two calculations. The calculations are:

1. Weighted Mean Method

Sandwich students: A weighted mean will be calculated with your Level 5 (year 2) results contributing 25% and your Level 6 (final year) results contributing 75%.

Full-time students: A weighted mean will be calculated with your Level 5 (year 2) results contributing 20% and your Level 6 (final year) results contributing 80%.

2. Majority Grade Method

The majority grade based on the highest classification you can attain from 140 credit points, namely 120 credit points at Level 6 and 20 credit points from Level 5 (calculated as the average of your Level 5 performance). For example, if you were to achieve a 2:1 in 80 credits or more at Level 6 or a 2:1 in 60 credits at Level 6 and your average Level 5 performance was also a 2:1, your degree classification, using the majority grade method, would be a 2:1.
Hey, thank you for replying!

I have replied to another user with how they grade us. I'm still unsure regarding the second method they use since the example they used is a bit too simple to compare to the situation I am in. But please do have a look at my reply above! :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
According to unigradecalc.com, if you got 53.5 in second year which is worth 25% overall, and 73.6 in final year worth 75%, you would finish with an overall degree mark of 68%.

You'll have to investigate whether your university has a policy of rounding up a mark like this or not.
Yes, I will paste what they said below. Shame that I managed to finish last year with a First but might not be able to get it as as an overall grade (yeah, I know it's my fault for messing up the second year), anyway here is what they told us:

At the Examination Board, the profile of each individual student is considered to determine their final classification. This is calculated in two ways and the Examination Board will award you the higher of the two calculations. The calculations are:

1. Weighted Mean Method

Sandwich students: A weighted mean will be calculated with your Level 5 (year 2) results contributing 25% and your Level 6 (final year) results contributing 75%.

Full-time students: A weighted mean will be calculated with your Level 5 (year 2) results contributing 20% and your Level 6 (final year) results contributing 80%.

2. Majority Grade Method

The majority grade based on the highest classification you can attain from 140 credit points, namely 120 credit points at Level 6 and 20 credit points from Level 5 (calculated as the average of your Level 5 performance). For example, if you were to achieve a 2:1 in 80 credits or more at Level 6 or a 2:1 in 60 credits at Level 6 and your average Level 5 performance was also a 2:1, your degree classification, using the majority grade method, would be a 2:1.

The majority grade method seems to indicate that you might well have a First though the examples are confusing. Which uni is this?
Yeah it's totally isn't helpful, especially the example they provided & it's Nottingham Trent Uni
Original post by ageshallnot
The majority grade method seems to indicate that you might well have a First though the examples are confusing. Which uni is this?
(edited 4 years ago)
From what I can understand, you need to figure out how many credits you have at a first and how many are at a 2.i. If the majority are at a 1st, then you might get a first?

At my university they did this, but the other caveat was you needed to have an overall mark of x8%+ (i.e. to go up to a first it needed to be 68%+ and also needed most of your credits in the class above).

Could email whoever deals with this at your university, can't remember who they're called...lol. Either way, you've done really well in your final year!
Out of 6 modules this year, all 20 credits each. I got 4 Firsts (High First, Mid First, Mid, Low First, Low First), High 2:1, Mid 2:2

And thank you I really tried!
Original post by Pathway
From what I can understand, you need to figure out how many credits you have at a first and how many are at a 2.i. If the majority are at a 1st, then you might get a first?

At my university they did this, but the other caveat was you needed to have an overall mark of x8%+ (i.e. to go up to a first it needed to be 68%+ and also needed most of your credits in the class above).

Could email whoever deals with this at your university, can't remember who they're called...lol. Either way, you've done really well in your final year!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending