brexit needs to be stopped Watch

anti brexit
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i hope brexit gets stopped completely I cried when the vote came in for us to leave is there any chance brexit could be stopped?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anti brexit)
i hope brexit gets stopped completely I cried when the vote came in for us to leave is there any chance brexit could be stopped?
No chance imo.

It would take a new government standing solely on a remain ticket and winning an election.
There is a good chance we will be fully out by next march.
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0lOtdvqyg
Qup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To stop brexit is to undermine democracy. If they can ignore the popular vote and choose to not go through with brexit, then surely they can ignore the votes that concern something else.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no it should not be stopped. Putin won the referendum fair and square so we will just have to brace ourselves for the inevitable disaster. muh will of the people.

999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
To stop brexit is to undermine democracy. If they can ignore the popular vote and choose to not go through with brexit, then surely they can ignore the votes that concern something else.
Not completely because referendums arent binding. Besides time there isnt anything to stop them having another referendum.
They have already voted in Parliament to leave in March though.
The government can do what it likes if it has the votes.
AB823
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I doubt it, but the remainers are so desperate to find a scandal in the leave campaign and voting system, they need some kind of scapegoat or scandal to lead to a second referendum imo lol
Qup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not completely because referendums arent binding. Besides time there isnt anything to stop them having another referendum.
They have already voted in Parliament to leave in March though.
The government can do what it likes if it has the votes.
Yeah, see, that is the thing though; there realistically shouldn't be a second referendum. The people have already made their vote to leave or not to leave and the vast majority decided that they wished to leave. To ignore that is to ignore the whole point of democracy, just for the sake of the big shots getting the chance to attempt to achieve exactly what it is that they want.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Yeah, see, that is the thing though; there realistically shouldn't be a second referendum. The people have already made their vote to leave or not to leave and the vast majority decided that they wished to leave. To ignore that is to ignore the whole point of democracy, just for the sake of the big shots getting the chance to attempt to achieve exactly what it is that they want.
Not really . If there were a general election and one of the parties stood on having a second referendum that would give them a mandate to do so.
People are allowed to change their minds.
Qup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not really . If there were a general election and one of the parties stood on having a second referendum that would give them a mandate to do so.

People are allowed to change their minds.
Of course people are allowed to change their minds, that is true. But then that sorts of creates a bit of a problem - if people voted for something to happen, that thing has yet to happen and then people later decided that it was best for that thing to not happen at all, then what was the point of them voting in the first place? Plus, during the original vote, there was a lot of time for people to gather the information required to make up their minds before they casted their original vote, which at the time, was considered to be the final and only time they could vote.

Sigh. It probably would have been better if there was never a referendum in the first place, but given the EU's behaviour at this point in time (they are beginning to become dictator-like), i would assume that a lot of people still just want to leave.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Of course people are allowed to change their minds, that is true. But then that sorts of creates a bit of a problem - if people voted for something to happen, that thing has yet to happen and then people later decided that it was best for that thing to not happen at all, then what was the point of them voting in the first place? Plus, during the original vote, there was a lot of time for people to gather the information required to make up their minds before they casted their original vote, which at the time, was considered to be the final and only time they could vote.

Sigh. It probably would have been better if there was never a referendum in the first place, but given the EU's behaviour at this point in time (they are beginning to become dictator-like), i would assume that a lot of people still just want to leave.
Thats the perogative of being able to change your mind.

The referendum was a disaster of organisation, because its one thing leaving, but nobody understood on what terms and they had different ideas.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Have you not followed politics for the last x hundred years?

Here are just some of the promises the Tories have broken in the 8 years they have been in power. All were manifesto pledges:

We will reduce the deficit to £0 by 2017 - Ha!!!
We will not increase VAT - VAT increased from 17.5% to 20%
We will ensure the NHS has enough staff to meet patients’ needs. - I believe the NHS is currently undergoing a staff crisis due to reduced funding and a clamp down on immigration
We will give you a strong and stable government...

To be fair though, I do look to the leaders of our country to do what is right in the interests of our country. Brexit is going to be a catastrophe and ironically it is going to hit the poorest in society hardest and they voted for Brexit. However, they wouldn't have voted for Brexit if they knew how badly it was going to effect them simply because it is so complex and any nay-sayers were lambasted as talking it down.
Qup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
To be fair though, I do look to the leaders of our country to do what is right in the interests of our country. Brexit is going to be a catastrophe and ironically it is going to hit the poorest in society hardest and they voted for Brexit. However, they wouldn't have voted for Brexit if they knew how badly it was going to effect them simply because it is so complex and any nay-sayers were lambasted as talking it down.
Assuming that this is to be the case, how will the poor be negatively affected by the form of mechanical work, known as brexit?

And why would staying in the EU be any better than staying out of the EU? Wasn't the main reason people primarily voted out because they didn't want to be regulated by EU policies, no?
PilgrimOfTruth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brexit is going to be a catastrophe and ironically it is going to hit the poorest in society hardest and they voted for Brexit. However, they wouldn't have voted for Brexit if they knew how badly it was going to effect them simply because it is so complex and any nay-sayers were lambasted as talking it down.
LOL

Eeeek still thrashing "Project Fear" for all it's worth . . . same old same old.

Sorry bud but we voted for BrExit and it better be delivered.

Those who aren't willing to live by a democratic decision and the democratic process should emigrate to some other country where democracy doesn't exist. There is no place for them here in the UK.

Democracy is NOT intended to always produce the best or most efficient solution. It is intended to ensure that the majority get what they vote for.

The people will learn and evolve over time and that may (or may not) influence the way they vote in future referendums. All part of the process.

Those who stupidly voted Labour a few years ago and who gave Tony BLiar his enormous majority have since learned that it was a huge mistake and that Labour simply lie through their teeth to get into power. He gave us wars, invasions predicated on BS intel, and good old Gordon Brown pretty much bankrupted the country through his arrogant uncontrolled spending and selling of our gold supplies for a pittance.

It was a huge mistake to vote Labour in but democracy rules and the majority voted for BLiar so the decision stands. We can not have a situation where the minority, however large, start protesting to have another vote because their political party didn't win. The concept is utterly ridiculous.

The savvy will note the huge concerted efforts being made by a group of media stooges on forums like this one to try and spread "project fear" in the hopes of generating pressure for a second referendum and/or to gain votes for Commie Corbyn.

Don't fall for it all.

BrExit must happen

We must see it through
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
LOL

Eeeek still thrashing "Project Fear" for all it's worth . . . same old same old.
When there are 50 mile queues of lorries on the M20 and food prices have gone up by 20%, we shall see if you are still talking about Project Fear. What you don't appreciate is that prices have so far remained stable because retailers have taken the hit although some have not weathered the storm. One more push and you are going to see a lot of impact. And for what? I mean seriously - for what? Some mystical feeling that we make our own decisions? That is never going to happen. You have voted for fairies and unicorns. We have never been in full control and never will, even after Brexit. You think we will be but we won't. We will still be bound by the decisions of others.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think if we had another referendum, the vote would be overwhelmingly in favour of "stay". I think people voted "leave" to try and be different and edgy, without realising how many others would do so.

But it makes a mockery of our whole system to do that - you can't just keep repeating votes until you get the result you were looking for. No matter how idiotic the decision made might seem.
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When there are 50 mile queues of lorries on the M20 and food prices have gone up by 20%
More BS fear mongering, you'll never give up trying to frighten people will you hoping they will vote against the Tories or push for a 2nd referendum.

Once BrExit is done and we're done with all this pathetic mucking about, companies, CEOs, politicians will simply get on with the job of sorting out all those kind of issues. And they WILL get sorted, no question.

What you don't appreciate is that prices have so far remained stable because retailers have taken the hit although some have not weathered the storm. One more push and you are going to see a lot of impact.
High prices result in less product being sold, simple supply and demand. The suppliers will adjust their business accordingly. They will either change their products or accept lower margins. If they don't lower their margins, a competitor will and uncut their prices. Again simple market economics. Bottom line is once BrExit is done, businesses WILL adapt.

And for what? I mean seriously - for what? Some mystical feeling that we make our own decisions?
No, for the ability to manage our own affairs without the interference and corrupt involvement of the EU megalomaniacs. For the ability to control our own justice system without the interference of the ECJ.

For the ability to restore our British Constitution which has been trampled on by fraudulent politicians for the past 30+ years.

For the ability to make needed changes in our own country without having to go through the ridiculous EU Qualified Majority Voting system which requires us to get support from the other 27 member states who should have no say whatsoever what happens in the UK.

and so on

Your "Project Fearmongering" is lame at best and an utterly desperate attempt to sow discord into the hearts and minds of vulnerable weak-minded people.

I reject it wholeheartedly and completely.

The British people WILL adapt, WILL weather the storms which they know will come post BrExit and they WILL make the best of it. As a result, in years to come, the UK will be in a far far better place than it is now.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I think if we had another referendum, the vote would be overwhelmingly in favour of "stay". I think people voted "leave" to try and be different and edgy, without realising how many others would do so.

But it makes a mockery of our whole system to do that - you can't just keep repeating votes until you get the result you were looking for. No matter how idiotic the decision made might seem.
Any future vote isn't going to be on "stay" or leave".

A deal struck by May or a decision to leave without a deal will have failed to get through the Commons. That is the only way you will get a majority for a new Referendum Bill.

In a single question referendum May's deal or a no deal Brexit (whichever is proposed) will probably be voted down. May will have to resign. I don't see how there is an alternative. Her replacement is, I think, going to have to have a third referendum on "stay" or "go". That is why any second referendum will. I think be a two question referendum, with the second question being what to do if the deal/no deal proposed is voted down.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not gonna happen.
PilgrimOfTruth
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I think if we had another referendum, the vote would be overwhelmingly in favour of "stay". I think people voted "leave" to try and be different and edgy, without realising how many others would do so..
No, people voted Leave because they recognise that what started out as the simple Common Market 40 years ago has now corrupted and turned into an emerging totalitarian state.

They can see the wider agenda being waged to make British people a minority in their own country and they have seen the increasing nonsense that is the justice system which fails consistently to properly punish those members of society who are causing grief to everyone else.

They also see how the British political system has become a sham, a mockery, a pretend 2-party political system in which both major parties (and most of the others) are really just puppets of the EU.
Whichever you vote for the EU agenda is furthered regardless.

The people want change. The people need change. The cesspit and corruption has to stop.

BrExit is the first stage.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (4)
7.14%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (31)
55.36%
No (21)
37.5%

Watched Threads