The Student Room Group

This university is unfair

I’m in foundation year at this university and they are trying to keep us there purpsosely fortheir own gain - which is unfair. Is this allowed?

For those that want to move but are resitting their grades are released in September when they start their chosen degree. Which is weird? Is this allowed? And are other universities condoning this?
Reply 1
Why would you resit to then get your grades when you begin your course?

Tell me l am wrong because this is definitely unfair.
Pretty standard across universities. Resits are traditionally held over the summer holidays so a September results day is standard, even on proper degrees.
Reply 3
Original post by super_kawaii
Pretty standard across universities. Resits are traditionally held over the summer holidays so a September results day is standard, even on proper degrees.

Oh, even all the students are complaining saying they’re keeping us here purposely because what if l want to resit but move at the same time?

They gave my friend provisional results for this and she moved.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Oh, even all the students are complaining saying they’re keeping us here purposely because what if l want to resit but move at the same time?

Especially since l have a place held. They should do something in a way to receive my grades by august because l know a few people that were granted this. But l don’t know whether it was provisional grades or whatnot
Reply 5
I’m in foundation year at this university and they are trying to keep us there purpsosely fortheir own gain - which is unfair. Is this allowed?

For those that want to move but are resitting their grades are released in September when they start their chosen degree. Which is weird? Is this allowed? And are other universities condoning this?

This is completely normal - I am taking some exams during the resits at my university and I won't get the results back until the second week of September. This is because the exam board will be held at the end of August, so I think this is standard practice.
Normal imo. The problem is you are a resit student and people arent expected to resit.
Apply to the uni of your choice on predicted grades.
Take a gap and apply to the uni of choice.

If you jhave a uni place reserved, then just tell them the results arent out till X date.

It is normal and to be expected when you attend a university. One of my coursemates had to resit some exams and missed the first month of our year abroad, which contained essential registration and police check events
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Normal imo. The problem is you are a resit student and people arent expected to resit.
Apply to the uni of your choice on predicted grades.
Take a gap and apply to the uni of choice.

If you jhave a uni place reserved, then just tell them the results arent out till X date.

Yeah l was also granted extenuating circumstances too. AND there is a possibility that this one mark won’t make me get into that uni which l am worried about. But l’ll let the university know l just thought there was a way for the uni to receive my grades quicker (which there is because they said if l withdraw l can get my grades quicker).
Yeah l was also granted extenuating circumstances too. AND there is a possibility that this one mark won’t make me get into that uni which l am worried about. But l’ll let the university know l just thought there was a way for the uni to receive my grades quicker (which there is because they said if l withdraw l can get my grades quicker).

Just talk to them and tell them you can have the results on X day if you withdraw and a later date if you do not.
If you dont wish to stay at your uni, then dont.
Resits are normally in August. The usual turnaround on any marking is two weeks...at best. For exams, these then get sent to the "exam board" which is a few faculty members from the department and external examiners (or examiner) for moderation, so it will normally be a month turnaround, in the fastest case. Which more or less fits into the times indicated by you...

It's absolutely normal. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's how universities work. You are one of thousands of students, and marking those volumes of exams takes time. These aren't large, well funded exam boards like in GCSE and A-level, where there are thousands of examiners per subject and a very rigid exam and response format. These are individual lecturers, PhDs, and other faculty members, from individual departments which can range from small to large, at individual universities which can range widely in size and funding. As such, the process of marking, both assignments and exams, generally, in universities is an enormous undertaking, especially as even in e.g. STEM subjects questions are considerably more open ended than in school qualifications.

Expecting anything more than what they are doing is unreasonable. Mitigating/extenuating circumstances do not give an "express pass" to getting your work marked, they are noted to allow the university to take steps to ensure you have as good a chance as anyone else to get the marks you should be able to achieve in view of those, through the same marking process.

As indicated above, you need to inform the university you hold an offer for that you will not receive your results until later. They will then make whatever decision and take whatever action necessary following that. They may wait, or allow you to provisionally register on your course, or change your offer to e.g. a deferred entry offer (for the next academic year, giving you an unplanned "gap year", but with a place which will then be confirmed in September and plenty of notice to apply in that cycle if you miss the offer).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending