The Student Room Group

What's the gcse music course like?

I'd like to know what I will be required to do for the GCSE music course. What grade instrument should I be? I have just started the piano in January and I am in year 9 . I have almost completed grade 1 and I will be starting grade 2 around September .. Will I be able to cope with the course by the time I reach year 11? My piano teacher has been helping a boy who started around the same time that I did and he is now in year 10 playing grade 3/4 pieces but she thinks I will be able to get further than him. I practise at least half an hour a day and i also practise with a friend once a week who is grade 3/4.I will be grateful to receive a response. Thank you.
moved to creative and performance arts forum:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
moved to creative and performance arts forum:smile:

Thank you
I was on grade 4 piano when I began the GCSE music course. For my music course one part of it was to carry out a performance (where I played one of my piano pieces) and playing piano was also useful as I could read music (notes, treble clefs etc). Apart from this though there's a lot more to the music course than just the instrument you are playing. Some people in my class couldn't play an instrument, only sing, and still did well so you should be able to cope.
I believe for the Performance aspect (30% of the GCSE) it's two pieces- ensemble and solo. You can gain full marks playing a Grade 3 piece impeccably, or you could go for a higher grade piece with a couple of tiny errors and still get full marks. You should be perfectly fine with that level of commitment. Piano is a great instrument for doing theory work, since it's the default textbook instrument.
Reply 5
What exam board would you be doing? Unless it's changed with the new specification, the minimum standard required for Edexcel (the most common exam board for GCSE and A level music) is grade 3, which you should be able to reach without a problem if you keep up your current progress. Bear in mind, though, that you don't have to do every grade. If you're willing to put the practice in, once you've finished grade 1, you could move straight on to the grade 3 syllabus, and potentially be starting a higher grade by the time you get to year 11. The difference between the difficulty of each grade is smaller in the early grades (1-5) than the later ones, so if your ability to read sheet music is strong then you could potentially fast-track your progress a bit by strategically skipping one or two.
Reply 6
Original post by Pralina123
I was on grade 4 piano when I began the GCSE music course. For my music course one part of it was to carry out a performance (where I played one of my piano pieces) and playing piano was also useful as I could read music (notes, treble clefs etc). Apart from this though there's a lot more to the music course than just the instrument you are playing. Some people in my class couldn't play an instrument, only sing, and still did well so you should be able to cope.

Thank You!
Reply 7
Original post by Beth_H
What exam board would you be doing? Unless it's changed with the new specification, the minimum standard required for Edexcel (the most common exam board for GCSE and A level music) is grade 3, which you should be able to reach without a problem if you keep up your current progress. Bear in mind, though, that you don't have to do every grade. If you're willing to put the practice in, once you've finished grade 1, you could move straight on to the grade 3 syllabus, and potentially be starting a higher grade by the time you get to year 11. The difference between the difficulty of each grade is smaller in the early grades (1-5) than the later ones, so if your ability to read sheet music is strong then you could potentially fast-track your progress a bit by strategically skipping one or two.

I think the exam baord is either AQA or Edexcel. I can read music well and I am grade 3 theory.. Thank You for your response.
Reply 8
Original post by TheGame314
I believe for the Performance aspect (30% of the GCSE) it's two pieces- ensemble and solo. You can gain full marks playing a Grade 3 piece impeccably, or you could go for a higher grade piece with a couple of tiny errors and still get full marks. You should be perfectly fine with that level of commitment. Piano is a great instrument for doing theory work, since it's the default textbook instrument.

Oh right! Thanks for your help!
Reply 9
Original post by Tigergirl
I think the exam baord is either AQA or Edexcel. I can read music well and I am grade 3 theory.. Thank You for your response.

I doubt the requirements will vary much between boards, but you can always download the specifications from the exam board websites and have a look. Edexcel also has a useful document called the Difficulty Levels Booklet, which is basically a massive list of pieces for various instruments with the ABRSM grade that the exam board considers them equivalent to.
Reply 10
Original post by Beth_H
I doubt the requirements will vary much between boards, but you can always download the specifications from the exam board websites and have a look. Edexcel also has a useful document called the Difficulty Levels Booklet, which is basically a massive list of pieces for various instruments with the ABRSM grade that the exam board considers them equivalent to.

Thank You, I'll take a look at that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending