The Student Room Group

I donated my blood today AMA

I donated my blood for the first time ever-today :biggrin: I'll answer any questions about blood donation and/or my experience if anyone has any.

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for donating! I wish I could but my veins are too small :frown: how do you feel having helped save a life?
I've donated three times now! Well done for donating :smile: did they take a while to find a vein or were you in and out? :biggrin:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Thank you for donating! I wish I could but my veins are too small :frown: how do you feel having helped save a life?

I feel proud that I was of any help to someone :smile: They said my veins are small too-but they managed to stick the needle in somehow :biggrin:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
I donated my blood for the first time ever-today :biggrin: I'll answer any questions about blood donation and/or my experience if anyone has any.

I donated blood every 4 months from the age of 18 to 23. One day I went in and the nurse said (angrily), "oh we're too full! You'll have to come back!"

Since then I refuse to give blood (to be fair, I'm A Positive so mines really common).

What blood type are you?
Original post by Paracosm
I've donated three times now! Well done for donating :smile: did they take a while to find a vein or were you in and out? :biggrin:

They struggled a bit because they said my veins are small but they managed somehow :biggrin: It took them 6 minutes 48 seconds to collect all the blood they needed-it was all finished in a flash.The whole process was very quick and efficient.The staff were very nice and helpful too :biggrin: Do you donate regularly?
They struggled a bit because they said my veins are small but they managed somehow :biggrin: It took them 6 minutes 48 seconds to collect all the blood they needed-it was all finished in a flash.The whole process was very quick and efficient.The staff were very nice and helpful too :biggrin: Do you donate regularly?

Sounds good! What did you snack on afterwards? :yum:

I donate as regularly as I can, but living in Paris makes things a bit difficult. :frown:
Hooray. How do you feel now?

Thanks for donating :smile:
I just had a few questions: Does it hurt? Do you have a big scar from it?
Original post by Chickeen2Nite
I donated blood every 4 months from the age of 18 to 23. One day I went in and the nurse said (angrily), "oh we're too full! You'll have to come back!"

Since then I refuse to give blood (to be fair, I'm A Positive so mines really common).

What blood type are you?

Oh no :frown: The staff were really nice and helpful to me and I had a very positive experience.Have you thought about donating blood again but at a different centre.Im not 100% sure about my blood type but I think it's O+ but I might be wrong.They said they'll send me a donor card with my blood type by post,so I should know for sure soon, what my blood type is. :biggrin:
Original post by Paracosm
Sounds good! What did you snack on afterwards? :yum:

I donate as regularly as I can, but living in Paris makes things a bit difficult. :frown:

I had about 4 cups of squash.I had some bourbon biscuits,those penguin chocolate snacks and some crackers. :biggrin: There were oreos but someone took them before I had a chance to get them 😂.
Original post by Professional G
Hooray. How do you feel now?

After donating at first I felt a bit out of it and tired but then had some squash and snacks and felt absolutely fine.Im lying in bed now-just resting-an excuse to be a bit lazy 😂
Oh no :frown: The staff were really nice and helpful to me and I had a very positive experience.Have you thought about donating blood again but at a different centre.Im not 100% sure about my blood type but I think it's O+ but I might be wrong.They said they'll send me a donor card with my blood type by post,so I should know for sure soon, what my blood type is. :biggrin:

Did you get paid?

I keep getting these e-mails about giving blood for money I think up to £100. But giving blood for me is a last resort when I am dead broke and need to pay my bills.
After donating at first I felt a bit out of it and tired but then had some squash and snacks and felt absolutely fine.Im lying in bed now-just resting-an excuse to be a bit lazy 😂

Glad you enjoyed it lol. You must feel proud cause of it. Can’t imagine donating blood. 😉
Original post by Grade A
Thanks for donating :smile:
I just had a few questions: Does it hurt? Do you have a big scar from it?

To be honest,having your finger pricked to check iron levels hurt more than having the needle put into your arm.The finger pricking just felt like a little pinch and was over in a flash.So it didn't really hurt-I was worried about the pain but it didn't hurt much at all.I have a dressing on my arm so Im not sure if I'll have a scar or not-I'll take off the dressing tomorrow probably-I'll let you know then :biggrin:

Ah that's right you don't find out until you get your card. Yeah, I know it's pretty petulant, but you take the time out of your day to do it and you get a response like that!

I'm glad you had a great experience and that you shared it. I'll go down next weekend and give some blood :smile:
Original post by The Man Of God
Did you get paid?

I keep getting these e-mails about giving blood for money I think up to £100. But giving blood for me is a last resort when I am dead broke and need to pay my bills.

No I didn't get paid anything 😂I heard they pay in the US when you donate blood-but I could be wrong?
Original post by Chickeen2Nite
Ah that's right you don't find out until you get your card. Yeah, I know it's pretty petulant, but you take the time out of your day to do it and you get a response like that!

I'm glad you had a great experience and that you shared it. I'll go down next weekend and give some blood :smile:

Im sorry you had a bad experience-that was unacceptable.Good luck with your next donation,please let me know how it goes :biggrin:
Original post by Professional G
Glad you enjoyed it lol. You must feel proud cause of it. Can’t imagine donating blood. 😉

I do feel proud I was of use :biggrin: I hope this will help someone :biggrin: Maybe try it one day if you're able to donate.It's really easy to donate and quick!It's very easy to book the appointment and you'll be finished within an hour,if you're ever up for it-let me know :biggrin: Im not the biggest fan of needles too and thought it would hurt and be stressful but it was absolutely fine. 😊
I do feel proud I was of use :biggrin: I hope this will help someone :biggrin: Maybe try it one day if you're able to donate.It's really easy to donate and quick!It's very easy to book the appointment and you'll be finished within an hour,if you're ever up for it-let me know :biggrin: Im not the biggest fan of needles too and thought it would hurt and be stressful but it was absolutely fine. 😊

You did well today. Proud of you. 😁. Maybe i’ll try one day. Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest