The Student Room Group

why are remainers clinging to the hope of brexit not happening

get over it you left wing snowflakes brexit is happening and it is for the good of this country

Scroll to see replies

Original post by voted out
get over it you left wing snowflakes brexit is happening and it is for the good of this country

Because maybe they dont believe it is good for the country and is a big mistake?

Is the purpose of your thread just to insult remainers? Very edgy.
I'm a remainer, but I didn't get a choice (not that I advocate for lowering the voting age to 13, by the way).

I honestly think we will be worse off and it is a big mistake for this country (particularly with Theresa May's recent agreements). I'm not going to pretend it isn't going to happen, but that doesn't mean I agree with it.

Remainers rely heavily on immigrants to prop up the remain vote.
I've accepted Brexit is going to happen. It was always my intention to migrate abroad in the next few years, so it's not a huge concern of mine.

I'm just watching with amusement at the slow car crash that is Brexit and Brexit supporters floundering around looking for people to blame. Anyone but themselves of course.

Original post by torpedo321

Given the rules on voting eligibility in the UK, this absolute bunkem.
Original post by torpedo321

Dont think that gets you anywhere, unless you just want to show yourself as anti immigrant. They were UK residents with the right to vote..

Which immigrants do you object to?

EU citizens?
Black ones?
Brown ones?
All non white ones?
The Irish?
They cannot accept they lost, and believe they still have a right to have it overturned. Sulky babies, the lot of them, they should move out of the UK and join the immigrants in Germany.
Original post by Sulfolobus
I've accepted Brexit is going to happen. It was always my intention to migrate abroad in the next few years, so it's not a huge concern of mine.

I'm just watching with amusement at the slow car crash that is Brexit and Brexit supporters floundering around looking for people to blame. Anyone but themselves of course.

Given the rules on voting eligibility in the UK, this absolute bunkem.

The no brexit plan seems to be ticking along decently tho thanks to Dominic Raab... The EU isn't going to accept Theresa May's chequers plan and the conservatives need to make a brexit happen or they'll be embarrassed for years to come.

Blaming voters for exercising their democratic right to vote in a referendum, lol. You're better off blaming the people who didn't vote and hence cost the loss by a small margin.

5 years residence to get citizenship, isn't it? So yeah immigrants are propping up the remain vote, lol. Not saying that in a bad way as my own parents are immigrants but more in a factual way.
Original post by pereira325

Blaming voters for exercising their democratic right to vote in a referendum, lol.

That is not something I said. You may wish to work on your reading skills.

I'm not blaming them for exercising their democratic rights. However I'm certainly blaming them for failing to define what Brexit meant and planning how we will extricate ourselves from the EU. The clownery of the last 18 months could have been avoided.
why are remainers clinging to the hope of brexit not happening

Because they don't support democracy. They want to turn the country into one of civil unrest. They can't get what they want so they are devoting all their efforts towards social media influencing, sowing the seeds of "Project Fear" wherever they can, making weak-minded people believe it's all doom and gloom. A great deal of these duplicitous people are simply Momentum/Corbyn supporters sowing discord to try and make people think that it's all Teresa May's fault so that they can get old Jezbollah into power.

It's never going to happen though.

The majority of right minded UK citizens are never going to vote for this militant hard left Marxist party who would abolish democracy.
Equally the majority of right-minded UK citizens are always going to vote to get out of the EU and to get out of the clutches of the EU megalomaniacs, no matter how many times they are asked.

Anyone pushing for another BrExit referendum and sowing such discord should not be in this country. They are anti-democratic plain and simple and this is a democratic country. Let them go live in a Communist country.
Brexit meant and planning how we will extricate ourselves from the EU. The clownery of the last 18 months could have been avoided.

No question there. With this sham 2-party political system, owned and run by the EU imho, this was always inevitable. Lots of delaying tactics, lots of nonsense, little real effort being put into the things that desperately need sorting like border controls, admin/lawyers for new legislation and so on.

All part of the plan.

The EU clearly wants to make a huge example of the UK to deter the other member states from leaving (which many of them want to imho).

We must weather the storm from the EU teenage tantrums and dirty tactics. See BrExit through, make it work and thereby show the other member states what can be achieved.

We've wasted much of the past 2 years but that's purely down to the fact that our politicians and really EU politicians. They have no vested interest in making BrExit work and they will do as their masters commend.

That's one of the reasons BrExit is so important for the future of this country.
Remainers want to remain for many reasons, and the leave campaign is looking more and more sketchy as information is revealed about it. Morons fell for the NHS money bus and the idea it'll stop immigrants and lower immigration - it won't. We RELY on immigrants because the average British citizen is unwilling to do the lower paid jobs or do to the higher ones for a cheaper price. Thus, remain still fights.

I can see why people said the vote shouldn't have happened - it shouldn't have been left to the ill-informed people who had nearly NO CLUE what the whole vote was about.

If you’re trying to expound the view that we should definitely leave the EU after the 2016 referendum result, name-calling is not a constructive way to do it. It’s ‘arguments’ like these that give remainers the excuse to believe that people who voted to leave are stupid. Just saying.
That is not something I said. You may wish to work on your reading skills.

I'm not blaming them for exercising their democratic rights. However I'm certainly blaming them for failing to define what Brexit meant and planning how we will extricate ourselves from the EU. The clownery of the last 18 months could have been avoided.

You said "Brexit supporters floundering around looking for people to blame. Anyone but themselves of course."
Which implies they are at fault because they voted to leave the EU.

The vote was literally should the UK stay a member of the EU or not. The majority of those who voted had chosen the latter option.

It is up to the politicians to decide brexit. The people have said they want a brexit. In what form... those in power decide.

If you were expecting normal voters to have a detailed plan of what brexit would entail, your expectations were too high.

It literally just means we will leave the EU, which is happening in 2019. What happens after, again, that's up to the politicians to use their knowledge and civil servants to help them decide.
Original post by pereira325
The vote was literally should the UK stay a member of the EU or not. The majority of those who voted had chosen the latter option.

It is up to the politicians to decide brexit. The people have said they want a brexit. In what form... those in power decide.

You're just playing with language here. BrExit was never mentioned in the referendum vote. It's a media term being used nothing more.

As you said initially the vote was whether or not to stay in the EU.

We voted to Leave the EU.

That's it.

There's no "type" of leaving the EU. Leaving means leaving.

End result is that we are no longer in the EU in any shape or form. Period.

What we have at present is a media circus and massive lobbying by feckless Remainers to try and somehow redefine that vote as something else by calling it BrExit and then defining different types of BrExit, soft, hard etc. It's all Billy BS.

The vote was whether to leave the EU or stay. The result was Leave.

So Leave we must. End of.
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
You're just playing with language here. BrExit was never mentioned in the referendum vote. It's a media term being used nothing more.

That's it.

What we have at present is a media circus and massive lobbying by feckless Remainers to try and somehow redefine that vote as something else by calling it BrExit and then defining different types of BrExit, soft, hard etc. It's all Billy BS.

You still fighting with whinging undemocratic babies?
Reply 16

That's it.

Very true.

Sadly that means we the people have not had chance to vote on the EEA and ECJ.
Anyone suggesting that using your democratic right to exercise your democratic voice is being ‘undemocratic’ just doesn’t understand democracy.

If you win or lose you have a right to fight for any side you wish to. That is democratic.

What is undemocratic is a) telling people that they’re undemocratic for not accepting the result, as they (again) have the right to fight to change it

And b) not understanding that in a representative democracy you cannot ignore 48% of the population, irrespective of any referendum result.

That’s just not how a representative democracy works. You have to consider and include all sides.
(edited 5 years ago)

That's it.

Mate, brexit means leaving the EU. I don't dispute that.

Brexit literally means Britain-Exit. People have their own definition but to me brexit=leaving EU. I think the conservatives agree with that which is why in 2019 we will formally be leaving the EU.

However, leaving the EU doesn't mean we can't be in the single market (EEC) for instance. Or abide by ECJ rules. Or blah blah.
It just means we will not be a member of the EU.
Original post by PhilUK83
What is undemocratic is a) telling people that they’re undemocratic for not accepting the result, as they (again) have the right to fight to change it

No you don't have that right. Democracy means you MUST abide by the result of a vote. You have a democratic right AFTER the vote result has been carried out to campaign to change things.

Thus if you vote for Labour in a GE and the Tories win, you have NO DEMOCRATIC RIGHT to try and subvert or change that result. The Tories gain power and walk into No 10. You have the democratic right to express your wishes at the next GE and to campaign for your political beliefs.

What we have at present is a bunch of Remoaners trying to subvert the democratic referendum result. Trying to change the result before we have even carried out the result. That IS undemocratic.

The democratic process is clear

We voted to Leave the EU
We WILL Leave the EU
You may then campaign all you like to change things, to go back into the EU etc etc

Original post by PhilUK83

And b) not understanding that in a representative democracy you cannot ignore 48% of the population, irrespective of any referendum result.

Again this is fairies and unicorn fantasy. There are no rules that state a vote must be won by a certain amount to be formally accepted. The majority wins end of. Even of that's a majority reached by just 1 person.

Leave won, therefore we Leave the EU. Remainers must suck it up and get over themselves.

If you don't like the democratic system, then follow due process to try and get it changed (good luck with that!) or go live in a country that has the kind of pseudo democracy that you yearn for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending