The Student Room Group

I cannot afford to stay at uni

In September I should be starting my final year, but I don't think that I will be able to. I would be starting the year with a new born and the only income that we have coming into the house is 2 lots of student finance and we are already struggling to manage to buy everything in time for the baby as it is. Any advice?
Original post by riceisok12
In September I should be starting my final year, but I don't think that I will be able to. I would be starting the year with a new born and the only income that we have coming into the house is 2 lots of student finance and we are already struggling to manage to buy everything in time for the baby as it is. Any advice?

Have you applied (or looked at how much you would get) for the parental learning allowance from student finance and any benefits or tax credits you could be eligible for?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Have you applied (or looked at how much you would get) for the parental learning allowance from student finance and any benefits or tax credits you could be eligible for?

I cannot claim, maternity allowance or the surestart grant and you cannot apply for parental learning allowance until you have a birth certificate which then takes weeks to process. I need to be able to move before then as I need to move before September as we cannot have a child where we are at the moment. I am also already struggling with buying baby bits and pieces as I was quite big when I finished uni for the year and tried to get a job and was unsuccesful and I have applied for over 2000 jobs and I have has jobs every year previous. My partner has also not been able to work this summer due to a heart operation.
Original post by riceisok12
I cannot claim, maternity allowance or the surestart grant and you cannot apply for parental learning allowance until you have a birth certificate which then takes weeks to process. I need to be able to move before then as I need to move before September as we cannot have a child where we are at the moment. I am also already struggling with buying baby bits and pieces as I was quite big when I finished uni for the year and tried to get a job and was unsuccesful and I have applied for over 2000 jobs and I have has jobs every year previous. My partner has also not been able to work this summer due to a heart operation.

does your university have some emergency funding that you can access?
Would getting married help financially as you are entitled to the full maintenance loan etc not sure if there are any other benefits being married could bring..just a thought.
Reply 5
does your university have some emergency funding that you can access?

Our uni have said that we are not eligabile to apply for the hardship fund, they only give it out for stupid reasons are far as I can see. Our uni is useless it wouldnt even refer us for the food bank when it can.
Original post by melliottme
Would getting married help financially as you are entitled to the full maintenance loan etc not sure if there are any other benefits being married could bring..just a thought.

If you have a child it makes no difference with student finance and benefits unfortunately
If you have a child it makes no difference with student finance and benefits unfortunately

When you are married SFE (this year was my first time filling in forms) you had the maintenance loan based on what the couple earned. Therefore I thought they could have their finances based on the current financial year which possibly get them out of a situation and hopefully have a chance.

Anyone else read or have/had experience of this??
That's true but since they have a child together they are considered independent based on that anyway.
If it is difficult at the moment, can you not take a year out and come back next year? That will give you a bit more time to look for a job, get everything sorted out.
That's true but since they have a child together they are considered independent based on that anyway.

Does that mean if the baby is born before the course starts they are stuck for the academic year with poorer income?

It might be good to have a thread on this that is easier to search for future students if possible.
How old are you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending