The Student Room Group

“Not ALL men” argument

So when women argue with men about the storm of sexual assault and rape charges that are occurring in Hollywood and have done for decades as well as the millions of women who go through it like it’s the norm - and they reply saying “not ALL men rape. What about the women that rape men?”

Why do they say that? The conversation is about women, yes may I add male rape victims are completely valid and no one is ever saying they are not valid, but if the conversation is focused on women as 98% of rape cases are done by men and 2% by women - then why do men always think of themselves?

Scroll to see replies

Say it louder for the people at the back👏🏽👏🏽
it is when women say all men are evil because of a few rapists as the basis of their argument
How about feminists like you hold yourself to some standards and use facts and numbers instead? Isnt that an easier way for you to argue as you dont open yourself up to making fallacies such as generalising?

Im more than happy to discuss the very real issue of sexual harassment that women face, but the rhetoric feminists have set is using pejoratives and vilifying men. If you seriously want to raise awareness and take steps to improve the situation, stop attacking men all the time (as this post does) and start having productive conversations. Because by attacking men all the time, all it tells us is people like you just want to be victims.

Its the exact reason why most women arent feminists.
Aye. I don’t think anyone would deny that it’s a predominantly male crime, but some (again not all) men might feel as if they’re all being tarred with the same brush. Personally I don’t think many sane women believe this.
I don't actually understand what's being said..anyone care to explain?
Same reason people say ‘not all muslims’ whenever any policy attempts to combat terrorism by looking at the group most predisposed to it
Reply 7
because people lack empathy and because it's the easy argument. they think by saying 'there are exceptions' somehow lessens the problem. also, for some reason, everyone wants to argue that they have it worse, that they are the real victims. i don't know why it's a competition all the time.
Reply 8
It's a response to the "men are pigs" statements made.

If someone makes a blanket insult towards an entire demographic of which you are a part, would you not want to defend yourself? Would you go "yh I am a pig"?

Plus, as D3LLI5 said, it's the for the same reason that people say "not all muslims" after a muslim commits a terrorist act.
Original post by Joleee
because people lack empathy and because it's the easy argument. they think by saying 'there are exceptions' somehow lessens the problem. also, for some reason, everyone wants to argue that they have it worse, that they are the real victims. i don't know why it's a competition all the time.

I'm sorry you feel like a victim.
Reply 10
As a response to the "what about the women that rape men?", it's pretty callous to say that in response to hearing of another rape case.
If the "not all men" is simply a response to hearing of a rape case, then that is also callous. It would be acting defensive, as if attacked, when no statement was made towards you. "Not all men" is really only a valid statement if someone says "Men are pigs", or something similar.

Though it should be noted that "What about the women that rape men?" is a pretty important talking point on its own, because in the UK a woman cannot legally rape a man unless she penetrates him with something.
Because attributing qualities to people solely upon the gender they belong to can never be anything more than an insult. It is also an ethical bottleneck. The assertion that group(s) of people are inherently bad, due to immutable characteristics that are not capable of divining the value of an individual, is not thinking that can develop a solution. Why does this bad thing happen - "because some types of people are bad and they do it". This line of reason is really obviously stupid and circular.

The proper response to - "people like you do this, because you and people like you are bad in an essential manner" is "No u, and f*ck off".

It is an assertion that makes impossible the task of designing an ethical solution around, and distracts from the slow and difficult investigation that could produce an actionable plan. If you think that the answer to the "original sin" of the human condition is as easy as blaming a "bad" group of people, you're not being sensible.
Original post by pablo442
How about feminists like you hold yourself to some standards and use facts and numbers instead? Isnt that an easier way for you to argue as you dont open yourself up to making fallacies such as generalising?

Im more than happy to discuss the very real issue of sexual harassment that women face, but the rhetoric feminists have set is using pejoratives and vilifying men. If you seriously want to raise awareness and take steps to improve the situation, stop attacking men all the time (as this post does) and start having productive conversations. Because by attacking men all the time, all it tells us is people like you just want to be victims.

Its the exact reason why most women arent feminists.

Most women agree with feminist principles, there is just a misunderstanding behind what “feminism” means, so don’t talk such rubbish.

I agree that whenever one social issue (certainly regarding sexism) is discussed, you always hear the “what about X and Y” argument. It’s not a competition, people are allowed to care about more than one social issue.

What figures do you want backed up?
Original post by Joleee

Men who rape are the exception, though.
Original post by Hateocracy
it is when women say all men are evil because of a few rapists as the basis of their argument

Not even remotely true.

Anyway, the only men that cry "not all men" are the ones that know it's them that it is addressed at.
Original post by Waldorf67
Most women agree with feminist principles, there is just a misunderstanding behind what “feminism” means, so don’t talk such rubbish.

I agree that whenever one social issue (certainly regarding sexism) is discussed, you always hear the “what about X and Y” argument. It’s not a competition, people are allowed to care about more than one social issue.

What figures do you want backed up?

Most women aren't involved in the sort of self victimising feminism that constantly attacks men.

Im not sure what your point is here. You've really ignored my post.

Use some facts and figures about sexual assault and harassment. That way you can avoid making sweeping generalisations.
Reply 16
Original post by yudothis
Anyway, the only men that cry "not all men" are the ones that know it's them that it is addressed at.

That is, and this is the most direct way I can put this, *******s.

If a muslim commits a terrorist attack and another says "not all muslims do this", are you saying that the second muslim is a terrorist, merely for pointing out that not all muslims are evil?

Because in order to be logically consistent, that is what you are saying.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
Not even remotely true.

Also another common argument that's very dangerous. Accusing people of being rapists and abusers because theyre against generalisations is frankly disgusting.
Original post by pablo442
Most women aren't involved in the sort of self victimising feminism that constantly attacks men.

Im not sure what your point is here. You've really ignored my post.

Use some facts and figures about sexual assault and harassment. That way you can avoid making sweeping generalisations.

But have you considered the fact that most feminists don’t behave like that, only a vocal minority?

What generalisations have been made? Facts and figures to back up what statements?
I am just going to say where did you get the evidence of 98% by men and 2% by women. I am guessing it is of cases of rape and the gender who did it. In which case I am going to say that lots of people will totally brush off the fact that a man has been raped and won't even do anything about it, so therefore there are hardly any cases in which a female has raped a man. Also most would not even bother reporting it because they know that most of the time nothing happens and they will be ridiculed.

If your evidence is not of the cases made but of something else then just ignore this post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending