The Student Room Group

Why do cinemas ask ID

So I went to the cinema a while back to see a 15 movie. I was 14 at the time. They asked me for ID FFS. I already had my ticket this was at the ticket check. They let a group of girls before me who looked way younger than me with no ID to the same movie. They wouldn’t let me in and so I had to leave. But the last time I went to that cinema they didn’t ask me for ID when they charged me for a adult and not a teen. I don’t look 5 I look older than my age. Does anyone have a reason the cinema did this
That one group of younger girls was probably led by someone with proof that she's at least 15. But then again I thought age ratings were supposed to bar all goers under that age?
Original post by hello_shawn
That one group of younger girls was probably led by someone with proof that she's at least 15. But then again I thought age ratings were supposed to bar all goers under that age?

I saw them all buy their tickets and none of them looked 15 nor did any of them show ID. If it changes anything I went after school and they were from a different school and I’ve had people suggest the guy at the ticket check used to go to their school and so he let them pass and not me
Reply 3
I think a lot of places do random ID checks to deter people from trying to get into films they're too young for. It's not like they were wrong to check you, since you were under the age of 15. Film age ratings exist for a reason, and the company that owns the cinema can find themselves in a lot of trouble if they're caught letting in people younger than the minimum age.
Reply 4
It depends on how old you look and the content of the film you’re seeing. If it’s got strong graphic violence, gore, strong sexual references etc then cinema staff tend to be more cautious about who they let in to watch that film. I was 17 and asked for ID to watch Annabelle, a 15 film 😂 I didn’t have a lot of makeup plus I look young for my age anyway. Looking younger has its advantages, when you’re 25 you’ll be looking 18 and at 40 you’ll be looking 30! Appreciate it and embrace it. So many people rush to grow up and end up looking older before their time and want to look young again when they’re old. Appreciate your young years ❤️
Original post by kiki213
It depends on how old you look and the content of the film you’re seeing. If it’s got strong graphic violence, gore, strong sexual references etc then cinema staff tend to be more cautious about who they let in to watch that film. I was 17 and asked for ID to watch Annabelle, a 15 film 😂 I didn’t have a lot of makeup plus I look young for my age anyway. Looking younger has its advantages, when you’re 25 you’ll be looking 18 and at 40 you’ll be looking 30! Appreciate it and embrace it. So many people rush to grow up and end up looking older before their time and want to look young again when they’re old. Appreciate your young years ❤️

I was going to see the 2017 IT if that changes things
Original post by Beth_H
I think a lot of places do random ID checks to deter people from trying to get into films they're too young for. It's not like they were wrong to check you, since you were under the age of 15. Film age ratings exist for a reason, and the company that owns the cinema can find themselves in a lot of trouble if they're caught letting in people younger than the minimum age.

This wasn’t random there was other people in my class at the movie and they were asked for ID as well. There was 20 of us all looked older than those girls and yet everyone of us was asked ID
You werent old enough. You were unlucky.
Reply 8
Original post by Studentboy783
This wasn’t random there was other people in my class at the movie and they were asked for ID as well. There was 20 of us all looked older than those girls and yet everyone of us was asked ID

Obviously they're going to check the whole group, because if one person is too young, then it's likely the rest are as well. You don't exactly have any right to be annoyed at the cinema staff for checking the ID of someone they *correctly* suspected to be under 15.
Original post by Beth_H
Obviously they're going to check the whole group, because if one person is too young, then it's likely the rest are as well. You don't exactly have any right to be annoyed at the cinema staff for checking the ID of someone they *correctly* suspected to be under 15.

It’s not that they checked me it’s that the girls weren’t checked. Honestly there was a few older ones who were obviously old enough to get in who were ID’d. The guy just seemed to be a d**k. The rest of the staff was fine it was this one guy at the ticket check who was being a *******
Although I understand why they'd want to check if you're under age, the thing I'm most concerned about is what type of ID a 15 year old is supposed to carrying around with them in the first place? Barely any 16 or 17 year old's do either so the system is pretty dumb and flawed
Original post by doodlegg
Although I understand why they'd want to check if you're under age, the thing I'm most concerned about is what type of ID a 15 year old is supposed to carrying around with them in the first place? Barely any 16 or 17 year old's do either so the system is pretty dumb and flawed

The only Thing remotely close was a bus pass and a debit card none of which have my face on them.
Reply 12
It’s not that they checked me it’s that the girls weren’t checked. Honestly there was a few older ones who were obviously old enough to get in who were ID’d. The guy just seemed to be a d**k. The rest of the staff was fine it was this one guy at the ticket check who was being a *******

There are plenty of possible reasons why they might not have been checked. For all you know, they were frequent filmgoers and were already known to the staff there. At any rate, whether the guy was right or wrong not to ID them is neither here nor there, as it doesn't change anything for you.
Original post by Beth_H
There are plenty of possible reasons why they might not have been checked. For all you know, they were frequent filmgoers and were already known to the staff there. At any rate, whether the guy was right or wrong not to ID them is neither here nor there, as it doesn't change anything for you.

Does the fact that I contacted the cinema and asked if ID was required and they said no change anything. I’ve gotten into a concert that was supposed to ask everyone ID without ID before and a stadium is more dangerous than a cinema. Also it annoys me that they didn’t ID me when it benefited them not to AKA when I was overcharged
Reply 14
Does the fact that I contacted the cinema and asked if ID was required and they said no change anything. I’ve gotten into a concert that was supposed to ask everyone ID without ID before and a stadium is more dangerous than a cinema. Also it annoys me that they didn’t ID me when it benefited them not to AKA when I was overcharged

Change anything about what? The fact that you were asked for ID several months ago? Obviously not. The fact that you tried to get into a 15 film when you weren't 15 and got caught? Also no. If this was a scenario in which you'd contacted the cinema before going to ask whether you'd need to bring ID (for a film you were actually old enough to see), they'd said no, and then you'd been asked for it anyway, then there might be grounds to complain, but right now you're just getting pointlessly worked up about a past situation which you could have avoided in the first place.
Because you probably look younger than you are.

Not to mention that even if you look 15, they might have a policy where the ID anyone who looks under 18 to avoid any doubt, or it was a random check, they might be asked to stop every nth person that comes through. Ultimately you were trying to see something that was older than it’s aimed at, so don’t be salty they didn’t let you in.
Original post by Beth_H
Change anything about what? The fact that you were asked for ID several months ago? Obviously not. The fact that you tried to get into a 15 film when you weren't 15 and got caught? Also no. If this was a scenario in which you'd contacted the cinema before going to ask whether you'd need to bring ID (for a film you were actually old enough to see), they'd said no, and then you'd been asked for it anyway, then there might be grounds to complain, but right now you're just getting pointlessly worked up about a past situation which you could have avoided in the first place.

I would try to go on and complain back but I’m not I can’t be bothered wasting any more time on this post. Anyone know how to make it so you never have to see a post again
So I went to the cinema a while back to see a 15 movie. I was 14 at the time. They asked me for ID FFS. I already had my ticket this was at the ticket check. They let a group of girls before me who looked way younger than me with no ID to the same movie. They wouldn’t let me in and so I had to leave. But the last time I went to that cinema they didn’t ask me for ID when they charged me for a adult and not a teen. I don’t look 5 I look older than my age. Does anyone have a reason the cinema did this

You just answered your own question

Quick Reply

Latest