The Student Room Group

Advice on piano exams/lessons

I am going into year 11 this year and have been playing the piano for 7 years. My piano teacher was against grades and exams so I only started to do them this year. I did grade 2 in the summer and passed with distinction. I’d like to do A Level Music so I need to have my grade 5. I’m doing grade 4 in the Autumn and 5 in the Spring. I hope to do music at university so will I need Grade 8? I’m unsure how qualified I need to be to do it at University and I don’t want exams to take over my life during GCSEs and A Levels but from what I know it looks that way. Has anyone any advice on what to do? I am currently looking for a new teacher as there have been some issues with the one I’ve had for the last 6 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by cathy765
I am going into year 11 this year and have been playing the piano for 7 years. My piano teacher was against grades and exams so I only started to do them this year. I did grade 2 in the summer and passed with distinction. I’d like to do A Level Music so I need to have my grade 5. I’m doing grade 4 in the Autumn and 5 in the Spring. I hope to do music at university so will I need Grade 8? I’m unsure how qualified I need to be to do it at University and I don’t want exams to take over my life during GCSEs and A Levels but from what I know it looks that way. Has anyone any advice on what to do? I am currently looking for a new teacher as there have been some issues with the one I’ve had for the last 6 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

You don’t need grade 8 piano to read music at university. Some Oxford and Cambridge musicians aren’t even pianists (I know this because I’ve met them), although at both there are compulsory keyboard modules in first year (defo at Ox, not entirely sure about Cam), which is a challenge for non-pianists, but a doddle for pianists. So, it’s a really good asset to have keyboard skills for a university music degree, and the more skilled you are at it the better, but you don’t need to be really good - in the prospectus, Oxford only recommends grade 5 ability. Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Rachmaninov
You don’t need grade 8 piano to read music at university. Some Oxford and Cambridge musicians aren’t even pianists (I know this because I’ve met them), although at both there are compulsory keyboard modules in first year (defo at Ox, not entirely sure about Cam), which is a challenge for non-pianists, but a doddle for pianists. So, it’s a really good asset to have keyboard skills for a university music degree, and the more skilled you are at it the better, but you don’t need to be really good - in the prospectus, Oxford only recommends grade 5 ability. Hope this helps.

Yeah, thanks. Is there anything you’d recommend to know or be able to do before then. I’m working towards grade 5 theory, GCSE and hopefully A level, but aside from that, is there anything?
Original post by cathy765
Yeah, thanks. Is there anything you’d recommend to know or be able to do before then. I’m working towards grade 5 theory, GCSE and hopefully A level, but aside from that, is there anything?

If you can get that far before you get to uni, perhaps try some higher grades of music theory? It’s completely different from grade 5, and really good fun.
Reply 4
Original post by Rachmaninov
If you can get that far before you get to uni, perhaps try some higher grades of music theory? It’s completely different from grade 5, and really good fun.

Ahh thanks, will do if I can. Thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply