The Student Room Group

Anti vaxxers - why

Serious question. Why is anyone anti vaccine?
Ignorance
Reply 2
Original post by X_exceed
Ignorance

I mean I figured but I was wondering why specifically. My cousin just had a kid and she's posted on fb saying she won't get him vaccinated and I tired to ask her why and she blocked me, so I was wondering why people might not want their kids vaccinated?
I say let them not get themselves vaccinated, it's natural selection. It's just shocking when they don't vaccinate their children and then they suffer.
Original post by Anonymous
I mean I figured but I was wondering why specifically. My cousin just had a kid and she's posted on fb saying she won't get him vaccinated and I tired to ask her why and she blocked me, so I was wondering why people might not want their kids vaccinated?

It might be because she believes they cause autism? I know that's a major reason for this kind of anti vaccine belief.
Original post by CTLeafez
I say let them not get themselves vaccinated, it's natural selection. It's just shocking when they don't vaccinate their children and then they suffer.

It's not the child's fault that the parents didn't get them vaccinated, I say we should make it illegal for a child to not be vaccinated.
Reply 6

I mean yeah but like won't that get vaccinated people hurt, too? Herd immunity and all that...

It might be because she believes they cause autism? I know that's a major reason for this kind of anti vaccine belief.

Ugh that's so dumb. Didn't that guy have his license taken away or something?

Except that everyone else's children are then at risk too.

Some people are just ignorant. They read a paper on how autism causes vaccines and they believe it as fact. Then they don't believe anything they read afterwards that says the opposite of their views. The original study gets debunked and the "doctor" stripped of his title, but they still believe it. Chemophobia (the fear of "chemicals") is probably also a factor.

Worst of the worst if you ask me. Could potentially kill the child, and others who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons and therefore have to rely entirely on herd immunity.
It's not the child's fault that the parents didn't get them vaccinated, I say we should make it illegal for a child to not be vaccinated.

I completely agree. It's unfair for a child to suffer due to the ignorance and/or stupidity of their parents.

I'd even consider social services getting involved if they consistently avoid vaccinating them. It's essentially child neglect.
apparently it causes sudden death or some diseases. but I bet these are all very small cases.

some believe it causes autism because of a study in 2000 or something but was proven invalid because the first signs of autism are shown around the same age kids get their vaccinations so you can't really prove vaccines causes autism.
Cause for some unknown reason people would prefer their child to be dead or fall extremely ill than be autistic. And some people are incapable of understanding that he was proved a fake and there is no link between vaccines and autism.

Of course some people don’t have vaccines for medical reasons so are even more affected by the anti vax people as they rely on herd immunity

Serious question. Why is anyone anti vaccine?
Ugh that's so dumb. Didn't that guy have his license taken away or something?

Yeah, but by the time that happened, it was too late. And then he went to America, where Donald Trump is a big fan of him and although he can't get his licence back, he is still operating and advising in the US, especially in areas of high levels of Trump supporters.
Thing is they aren’t just putting their own children at risk, they’re putting younger kids who aren’t old enough for the vaccines and people who couldn’t get them due to allergies at risk too. People have died because of that. Ridiculous, do they even know what a vaccine is?
They lack the ability to critically analyse their information sources and how they form their opinions.

Many of them are also highly emotional due to illness such as autism in their family, so they try to look for anything to blame. It's a lot easier to blame a vaccine and believe you can prevent it in the future, than it is to admit sometimes things just happen and there it nothing you can do to stop it.

What a lucky lucky child. She shouldn't have been allowed to breed
It is mass hysteria fuelled by some of the alternative factions in life. And pure stupidity. I met a guy last week who got polio as a child. Ruined his life.
Choosing not to vaccinate is still a parents choice in this country. Although in my personal opinion it’s an idiotic choice.
There are small risks with every medical procedures or medication but in the case of vaccines the benefits far outweigh them.
measles can lead to serious and potentially life-threatening complications in some people. These include infections of the lungs (pneumonia) and brain (encephalitis).
Mumps can lead to meningitis if it affects the lining of the brain, can also lead to permanent deafness.
If polio affects the spine and/or brain it can lead to paralysis. If it affects the lungs it can cause breathing problems leading to death.
Tetanus requires treatment in an ICU
Diphtheria can cause serious breathing problems and heart problems
Hepatitis B can remain undiagnosed for years, causing severe liver damage
Problems from catching Hib can include:
meningitis infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord
septicaemia blood poisoning
pneumonia infection of the lungs
pericarditis infection of the lining surrounding the heart
epiglottitis infection of the epiglottis, the flap that covers the entrance to your windpipe
septic arthritis infection of the joints
cellulitis infection of the skin and underlying tissues
osteomyelitis infection of the bones

Whooping cough is particularly nasty for small children.
Making breathing difficult and leading to cyanosis

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae and can lead to pneumonia, septicaemia (a kind of blood poisoning) and meningitis. At their worst, they can cause permanent brain damage, or even kill.
Rotavirus causes severe stomach ache and diarrhoea in young children causing problems with dehydration
And there’s no need to explain the complications from not having any of the meningitis jabs available

Perhaps your friend needs to have a serious conversation with a medical professional about her concerns.
As I said, it’s her choice but she really needs to be aware of the massive risks to her child if she refuses
Original post by Sammylou40
Choosing not to vaccinate is still a parents choice in this country. Although in my personal opinion it’s an idiotic choice.
There are small risks with every medical procedures or medication but in the case of vaccines the benefits far outweigh them.
measles can lead to serious and potentially life-threatening complications in some people. These include infections of the lungs (pneumonia) and brain (encephalitis).
Mumps can lead to meningitis if it affects the lining of the brain, can also lead to permanent deafness.
If polio affects the spine and/or brain it can lead to paralysis. If it affects the lungs it can cause breathing problems leading to death.
Tetanus requires treatment in an ICU
Diphtheria can cause serious breathing problems and heart problems
Hepatitis B can remain undiagnosed for years, causing severe liver damage
Problems from catching Hib can include:
meningitis infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord
septicaemia blood poisoning
pneumonia infection of the lungs
pericarditis infection of the lining surrounding the heart
epiglottitis infection of the epiglottis, the flap that covers the entrance to your windpipe
septic arthritis infection of the joints
cellulitis infection of the skin and underlying tissues
osteomyelitis infection of the bones

Whooping cough is particularly nasty for small children.
Making breathing difficult and leading to cyanosis

Pneumococcal infections are caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae and can lead to pneumonia, septicaemia (a kind of blood poisoning) and meningitis. At their worst, they can cause permanent brain damage, or even kill.
Rotavirus causes severe stomach ache and diarrhoea in young children causing problems with dehydration
And there’s no need to explain the complications from not having any of the meningitis jabs available

Perhaps your friend needs to have a serious conversation with a medical professional about her concerns.
As I said, it’s her choice but she really needs to be aware of the massive risks to her child if she refuses

I don't think she cares about facts or reason, which is why she blocked her cousin for asking a simple question.

Honestly, I don't know why she felt the need to post about it. I suppose it made her feel superior and that she is privy to esoteric knowledge that mere plebs aren't. It's sickening that she cares more about showing off than her child's health. What a stupid woman and a terrible parent.

Quick Reply

Latest