The Student Room Group

Liverpool vs Lancaster vs Southampton vs Sheffield

Poll

Liverpool vs Lancaster vs Southampton vs Sheffield

In terms of employability when it comes to Law?
I have secured places at Liverpool and Lancaster through Clearing, and I was told I could be given places at Southampton and Sheffield if I could provide an English qualification. I don't have one yet. Should I go to Liverpool or Lancaster or would it be better to actually take an English test and go to Sheffield or Southampton?
All I care about are career prospects, I could literally fit anywhere ^^

PS : I don't know why, I'm drawn to Lancaster, but despite its great performances in league tables, everyone's telling me to choose Liverpool or Southampton. Does that really make a difference?
Original post by SwanQueen
In terms of employability when it comes to Law?
I have secured places at Liverpool and Lancaster through Clearing, and I was told I could be given places at Southampton and Sheffield if I could provide an English qualification. I don't have one yet. Should I go to Liverpool or Lancaster or would it be better to actually take an English test and go to Sheffield or Southampton?
All I care about are career prospects, I could literally fit anywhere ^^

PS : I don't know why, I'm drawn to Lancaster, but despite its great performances in league tables, everyone's telling me to choose Liverpool or Southampton. Does that really make a difference?

Much of a muchness imo. Lancaster has its fans, normally students at lancaster. Go and contact the unis and find out where the students go.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Much of a muchness imo. Lancaster has its fans, normally students at lancaster. Go and contact the unis and find out where the students go.

Thanks. I'll go and check that out.
Thanks. I'll go and check that out.

Once you get outside Oxbridge and then the chasing elites you are left with a large number of good and respectable unis, Mostly RG.

I remember who you are now I think.

If you go a place at the Sorbonne, then I think I would have gone there and toughed it out. JSP might have more knowledge about he employability of French graduates. You could also check with the SRA about what extra would be required if you wanted to cross qualify ans use a French law degree. It might be problematic because of the different legal systems. It is one of the things I would have investigated though.

What you can also do is contact the respective student law societies and listen to a positive pitch about their uni.
The unis have quite different characteristics.
You also have the option if you didnt get what you wanted this year, then you could take a gap.and use UCAS next year.
You can also start this year, get great grades and try to transfer up, which is more difficult, but some manage it or just restart.
Reply 4
Once you get outside Oxbridge and then the chasing elites you are left with a large number of good and respectable unis, Mostly RG.

I remember who you are now I think.

If you go a place at the Sorbonne, then I think I would have gone there and toughed it out. JSP might have more knowledge about he employability of French graduates. You could also check with the SRA about what extra would be required if you wanted to cross qualify ans use a French law degree. It might be problematic because of the different legal systems. It is one of the things I would have investigated though.

What you can also do is contact the respective student law societies and listen to a positive pitch about their uni.
The unis have quite different characteristics.
You also have the option if you didnt get what you wanted this year, then you could take a gap.and use UCAS next year.
You can also start this year, get great grades and try to transfer up, which is more difficult, but some manage it or just restart.

I have no idea what JSP and SRA are...
I don't know why everyone here is trying to talk me into getting a double degree or a qualification in french law ^^
If I wanted to work in my country, I wouldn't have applied to universities in UK...I really don't want to practice in France. I thought about taking the place at la Sorbonne, though, because I thought I wouldn't be able to get a good position if I didn't get into a RG Uni...I don't really care anymore.
A friend of mine who has gotten a degree from Nottingham but has also studied in France has told me I could get a job anywhere if I did a LLB Law and then a LLM in International Law (which was my plan from the beginning) is that true?

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try and contact them!
I've thought about doing that too but I doubt I can pull this off, honestly...
I have no idea what JSP and SRA are...
I don't know why everyone here is trying to talk me into getting a double degree or a qualification in french law ^^
If I wanted to work in my country, I wouldn't have applied to universities in UK...I really don't want to practice in France. I thought about taking the place at la Sorbonne, though, because I thought I wouldn't be able to get a good position if I didn't get into a RG Uni...I don't really care anymore.
A friend of mine who has gotten a degree from Nottingham but has also studied in France has told me I could get a job anywhere if I did a LLB Law and then a LLM in International Law (which was my plan from the beginning) is that true?

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try and contact them!
I've thought about doing that too but I doubt I can pull this off, honestly...

JSP is a poster who happens to be a recruitment consultant

SRA is the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

It would have been about transferring across to the UK system with a French degree. Career being the most important for you.

You would have to ask them. Depends what degree and what he means by anywhere. LLMs are a bit of a mixed bag and many people bypass them just to get on with qualifying. It doesnt do you any harm, but it may not be the massive advantage some people think it is. I would consider the other 2 variations . Once you are at your chosen law school, then you can figure out whether you like it or not.and go from there.
Although you arent interested , the courses, location and culture might be quite different, so if you decide they are ion a par, then you might as well get best fit. being happy, having a more enjoyable course or having more money in your pocket would seem quite important to me if I got to choose. Your choice though.
Reply 6
JSP is a poster who happens to be a recruitment consultant

SRA is the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

It would have been about transferring across to the UK system with a French degree. Career being the most important for you.

You would have to ask them. Depends what degree and what he means by anywhere. LLMs are a bit of a mixed bag and many people bypass them just to get on with qualifying. It doesnt do you any harm, but it may not be the massive advantage some people think it is. I would consider the other 2 variations . Once you are at your chosen law school, then you can figure out whether you like it or not.and go from there.
Although you arent interested , the courses, location and culture might be quite different, so if you decide they are ion a par, then you might as well get best fit. being happy, having a more enjoyable course or having more money in your pocket would seem quite important to me if I got to choose. Your choice though.

That's a lot to process. I'll definitely contact the universities and the socities.
Wow, I thought LLMs were as important -if not more- as LLBs...I guess I'll just choose a uni and see how it goes.
+ I do take all these parameters in account, but it's not really a problem, luckily, my parents are a 100% with me on this, and I'm not a picky person, I can be at ease pretty much anywhere.
Anyway, thank you so much for your time and patience haha
That's a lot to process. I'll definitely contact the universities and the socities.
Wow, I thought LLMs were as important -if not more- as LLBs...I guess I'll just choose a uni and see how it goes.
+ I do take all these parameters in account, but it's not really a problem, luckily, my parents are a 100% with me on this, and I'm not a picky person, I can be at ease pretty much anywhere.
Anyway, thank you so much for your time and patience haha

You dont need to take my word for it see what the others say imo if rather go to the best uni possible.. It can help get extra knowledge and you cna add the name of a better uni, but more focus is on your first degree and then on the other exams and experience.
For the time you have a choice, then make it the best one for you. You will pick all this up when you start your degree. GL.
Reply 8
You dont need to take my word for it see what the others say imo if rather go to the best uni possible.. It can help get extra knowledge and you cna add the name of a better uni, but more focus is on your first degree and then on the other exams and experience.
For the time you have a choice, then make it the best one for you. You will pick all this up when you start your degree. GL.

Yep! I've started talking with students from some of the unis! Thanks a lot for answering!
Yep! I've started talking with students from some of the unis! Thanks a lot for answering!

Just beware to filter what they say. information about what its like as a student will be more reliable than career advice as they will play up their own uni.
You can also cool at youtube for videos of the uni and the city where it is. they are all different.
Reply 10
2017-06-28 08.44.46.png
Reply 11
2018-07-11 16.02.32.png

Too small. JSP made some interesting points about that survey.so take it with a pinch of salt and the conclusions you draw from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending