The Student Room Group

UWC 2019 Entry

Hello! Started this thread because I can't seem to find anyone about UWC 2019 entry. I'm Nigerian, just finished year 10 (doing IGCSE) and hoping to get into UWC ISAK Japan. Currently in the application process. Kind of hard getting everything at this point in time because it's summer.
I was hoping I could meet anyone else applying. It would be cool to start to get to know you guys.

Scroll to see replies

hey filt,, my names asia and i applied to uwc last year (2018 entry) through the great british national committee and ended up getting into uwc pearson in canada- i start my first year this august!! can’t believe there’s already a new thread,, it’s making me veryyy nostalgic for our old one lol. anyways,, the student room and the ppl i met on it helped me a loT during the application process so if u or anyone else ever have any questions feel free to shoot them my way,, i’ll do my best to help out!! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi, my name is Jasmine, I'm a friend of Asia's and I also applied this year through the GB committee (second time) and am going to Atlantic. If you need any help or advice hit us up!
Hey, I’m Ria and I’m hoping to apply through the GB committee if I can persuade my parents it’s a good idea....
I’ve been reading all the threads from previous years and it’s making me very excited!
Reply 4
Thanks Asia and Jasmine I'll let you know if I have any questions!

I agree Ria past threads have been very encouraging I'm feeling very nervous and excited at the same time!
Reply 5
Original post by asia pesaro
hey filt,, my names asia and i applied to uwc last year (2018 entry) through the great british national committee and ended up getting into uwc pearson in canada- i start my first year this august!! can’t believe there’s already a new thread,, it’s making me veryyy nostalgic for our old one lol. anyways,, the student room and the ppl i met on it helped me a loT during the application process so if u or anyone else ever have any questions feel free to shoot them my way,, i’ll do my best to help out!! :smile:

oooh thats cool 😊 do you know if uwc gb give scholarships and to what extent. Also do you know when you apply and how. I'm from London and looking to apply but the website says they'll release more details in the summer (but it is the summer... or am I just impatient and nervous aha) !! Thanks, V.
Reply 6
Original post by RiaWombat
Hey, I’m Ria and I’m hoping to apply through the GB committee if I can persuade my parents it’s a good idea....
I’ve been reading all the threads from previous years and it’s making me very excited!

Heyy, I'm also hoping to apply to the gb committee this year (whilst juggling my gases aha) my parents are really sceptical about uwc and me applying but they are going to hopefully let me apply; the thing that worries me is if I get in either they won't let me go or they can't afford it !! I'm really confused about my life right now like what I wanna do and everything and also with what college I may or may not want to go to, but the fees are a huge stake. I'm really excited and nervous 😬
Reply 7
heyyy 😁 !

I can't seem to find any past threads, I don't know why?!? but would anyone be able to send me some links??
Reply 8
Also sorry for so many questions but could someone please explain how applying to colleges and choosing them and options and things work?

Thanks, V.
Original post by vn2410
Heyy, I'm also hoping to apply to the gb committee this year (whilst juggling my gases aha) my parents are really sceptical about uwc and me applying but they are going to hopefully let me apply; the thing that worries me is if I get in either they won't let me go or they can't afford it !! I'm really confused about my life right now like what I wanna do and everything and also with what college I may or may not want to go to, but the fees are a huge stake. I'm really excited and nervous 😬

My parents think it’s a bit of a scam and then there’s the money issue and the fact they don’t like the idea of me going abroad. Have you tried just searching UWC here? The 2015 one was particularly helpful and it was so cool to read to the end and see how far everyone had come.
Reply 10
My parents think it’s a bit of a scam and then there’s the money issue and the fact they don’t like the idea of me going abroad. Have you tried just searching UWC here? The 2015 one was particularly helpful and it was so cool to read to the end and see how far everyone had come.

My parents feel they don't have good academics, like the read that online but they won't tell me where. Yea my parents don't want me abroad and plus there is also the financial issue yeah, it is expensive. I'll go take a look. Do you know when the application is released? I don't have a clue which colleges I'm more interested in, do you?

Thanks. V
Reply 11
Hey Asia & Jasmine,

Could you tell me the types of things that came up in your applications? Also do they need to be handwritten?
Reply 12
Who here is also doing/did gcses/igcses?
Original post by vn2410
My parents feel they don't have good academics, like the read that online but they won't tell me where. Yea my parents don't want me abroad and plus there is also the financial issue yeah, it is expensive. I'll go take a look. Do you know when the application is released? I don't have a clue which colleges I'm more interested in, do you?

Thanks. V

I think Wednesday but I’m away with guides on Wednesday so I won’t be able to start until I get back. I live really close to Atlantic College and Llanwit Major beach is gorgeous. I also love the look of Robert Bosch because it’s the only one that offers germa and Adriatic because I’m part Italian and would love to live there. Even if my parents would let me go abroad I don’t think I’d want to leave Europe.
Original post by vn2410
Who here is also doing/did gcses/igcses?

I’m doing GCSEs with IGCSE maths
Reply 15
I think Wednesday but I’m away with guides on Wednesday so I won’t be able to start until I get back. I live really close to Atlantic College and Llanwit Major beach is gorgeous. I also love the look of Robert Bosch because it’s the only one that offers germa and Adriatic because I’m part Italian and would love to live there. Even if my parents would let me go abroad I don’t think I’d want to leave Europe.

Oooh enjoy 😊 The thing that worries me is Brexit may hinder or make it more expensive to go the a European UWC
Original post by vn2410
Oooh enjoy 😊 The thing that worries me is Brexit may hinder or make it more expensive to go the a European UWC

Brexit is going to make everything harder rip. Thankfully I’m eligible for Irish citizenship so I can get an Irish passport. The only problem would be visas and stuff. Maybe look in to whether you have European family and can get another passport?
Original post by vn2410
oooh thats cool 😊 do you know if uwc gb give scholarships and to what extent. Also do you know when you apply and how. I'm from London and looking to apply but the website says they'll release more details in the summer (but it is the summer... or am I just impatient and nervous aha) !! Thanks, V.

AYYYY IM FROM LONDON TOO!! whereabouts?? im south east. anyways last year the application opened mid/late august if i remember right. also,, last year the gb committee only gave scholarships to AC students bc they had v limited funds,, but some colleges themselves offer scholarships for abroad students eg- pearson (canada) has one for welsh ppl every 2 years and i think adriatic (italy) has 1 or 2 every year ?? (could be wrong about that 2nd one tho)
Original post by vn2410
heyyy 😁 !

I can't seem to find any past threads, I don't know why?!? but would anyone be able to send me some links??

if u search “uwc 2018 entry” the first one that comes up is the main one from last year that i was also in n found v helpful :smile:
Original post by vn2410
Also sorry for so many questions but could someone please explain how applying to colleges and choosing them and options and things work?

Thanks, V.

if u apply thru ur national committee (go on the uwc io website to find out what committees ur eligible for),, you uSUALLY write down which colleges youd be wiLLING TO ATTEND at the interviews (if u get through to that stage),, thats what the gb committee does too. some places let u list in order of preference, but gb does not. hOWEVER, at the interviews, they do informally ask you n take it into account so thats nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending