The Student Room Group

Allergies and Intolerances

Hi everyone 😀👋
I was wondering if anyone on here has any food intolerances and if so what you had to do to get diagnosed? I'm suspicious I have a milk intolerance and other than making a food diary I don't really know what to do about it. Is there a specific test for this? I'm going lactose free for a couple of weeks to see if that makes any difference (I get uncomfortable bloated stomach, migraines and year round hay fever symptoms). Would appreciate any advice from any fellow intolerance sufferers!
Reply 1
Original post by SarahW93
Hi everyone 😀👋
I was wondering if anyone on here has any food intolerances and if so what you had to do to get diagnosed? I'm suspicious I have a milk intolerance and other than making a food diary I don't really know what to do about it. Is there a specific test for this? I'm going lactose free for a couple of weeks to see if that makes any difference (I get uncomfortable bloated stomach, migraines and year round hay fever symptoms). Would appreciate any advice from any fellow intolerance sufferers!

See your GP. They can advise you based on your symptoms and may even refer you to an allergy clinic
Reply 2
i have an intolerance for citrus fruits.

i went to my gp, explained my symptoms when i ate the fruits, and they told me to not eat them for a month, and then they would be able to verify whether it was the citrus fruits or something else. after a month, i had another appointment with them. they asked if my symptoms had gone away- they had, and i got a little doctor's note saying i am unable to eat citrus fruits.

usually, unless you need to for work (my need was due to meal prep [and need to taste test items] at work), they won't give you a doctor's note, and avoidance of the food you expect you have an intolerance for will be the advice they give.
Look online for Test My Intolerance.

Basically you send off a sample of your hair and they test it against 600 food and non food items.

They then give you list of items that you show a high level of intolerance for.

It costs about £40 but you can get special offers as well to reduce this cost.

This is not offered on the NHS but it is easier to do than an elimination diet.

My daughter suffered from a mystery illness that turned out to be an intolerance of corn and this is how I found out.

There are more sophisticated versions which are more costly see York Laboratories.
Hi everyone 😀👋

I'M LACTOSE INTOLERANT!! yay join the club ahah - joking.... its not fun :frown:( The way i found out is i went to GP and they told me to do a food diary. I did two weeks without Dairy, two weeks without Gluten and two weeks without both Gluten and Dairy. Thats the only way they could diagnose... Just a helpful hint if you are, there are these tablets called superlactase from Holland and Barret that can give you extra dairy enzymes. They arent amazing (so dont go chugging a whole pint of milk) but they work for little things, like a chocolate bar for example (if you end up missing it too much ahaha) xx Any questions i would love to answer lol
Original post by annabonner
I'M LACTOSE INTOLERANT!! yay join the club ahah - joking.... its not fun :frown:( The way i found out is i went to GP and they told me to do a food diary. I did two weeks without Dairy, two weeks without Gluten and two weeks without both Gluten and Dairy. Thats the only way they could diagnose... Just a helpful hint if you are, there are these tablets called superlactase from Holland and Barret that can give you extra dairy enzymes. They arent amazing (so dont go chugging a whole pint of milk) but they work for little things, like a chocolate bar for example (if you end up missing it too much ahaha) xx Any questions i would love to answer lol

Dairy and lactose aren't the same thing.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Dairy and lactose aren't the same thing.

umm lactose is the thing found IN dairy... so no they arent the same thing but when your lactose intolerant you can eat everything but dairy
Original post by annabonner
umm lactose is the thing found IN dairy... so no they arent the same thing but when your lactose intolerant you can eat everything but dairy

Not right. When you're lactose intolerant, it's only cows milk you can't have. You can have other animals milk. People who are dairy intolerant can't have any animal milk.
Reply 8
Original post by Tiger Rag
Not right. When you're lactose intolerant, it's only cows milk you can't have. You can have other animals milk. People who are dairy intolerant can't have any animal milk.

Actually there is lactose free cows milk which is what I'm trying out. Couple of weeks lactose free to see if it makes any difference but I might still go to my GP to see if he'll do any tests because that would save me a lot of time and effort. Thanks for everyone's advice!
Reply 9
Hi everyone 😀👋

See your GP. there are tests available for most allergies. I am allergic to wool (skin contact, I don't eat it) but years in jumpers and sweaters were a nightmare. For years, they thought I had fleas!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending