The Student Room Group

I now believe Lil Wayne is the greatest rapper to ever live

He has spatout punchlines better than most other rappers entire album disvovery.

Scroll to see replies

He’s a good rapper but...

No

Literally have no idea how anyone could come to this conclusion
Still Andre 3000 tbh
If his competition is Lil Xan and 6ix9ine, I'd agree.

However his competition is Snoop Dogg, NWA, Twista, Tech N9ne, Eminem, Dre, Tupac and Biggie - all of whom he hasn't come close to touching (at least post- Carter III)
Original post by esralled
If his competition is Lil Xan and 6ix9ine, I'd agree.

However his competition is Snoop Dogg, NWA, Twista, Tech N9ne, Eminem, Dre, Tupac and Biggie - all of whom he hasn't come close to touching (at least post- Carter III)

Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre? Really?

Wayne is better than most of those but that is a poor list.
Reply 5
Punchlines? Look at Big L, the punchline god.
Original post by Epitype
Punchlines? Look at Big L, the punchline god.

L :cool:

His debut is better than a lot of albums considered to be classics imo.
i prefer childish gambino:dontknow:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre? Really?

Wayne is better than most of those but that is a poor list.

Yup, definitely. If you want to call him the greatest rapper to ever live, he has to do more than rap. Snoop and Dre are both much more established in production and mastering than Lil Wayne is.
Reply 9
Original post by 6iX 9iNE
He has spatout punchlines better than most other rappers entire album disvovery.

I don't think you've listened to Rebirth yet.
Yup, definitely. If you want to call him the greatest rapper to ever live, he has to do more than rap. Snoop and Dre are both much more established in production and mastering than Lil Wayne is.

Why does he? We're talking about rapping. But they're both poor rappers anyway. Dre doesn't even write his own lyrics and Doggystyle aside which is only good because of Dre's beats, Snoop Dogg's output is appalling. Doggystyle and a few well produced Neptunes singles in the early 00s and that is it.
i personally think eminem and kanye west are one of the best rappers. dont like kanye but his voice is hella good. i like lil wayne too. i dont even listen to much rap. ive just heard 3/4 songs from kanye and 1/2 from eminem.
v debatable and biased topic in my opinion. every rapper has good and bad things about them and about their music which could make them controversial.
Why does he? We're talking about rapping...Dre doesn't even write his own lyrics

If I can't talk about producing, you can't talk about writing. Having ghostwriters is hardly anything new - look at the tracklist for All Eyez On Me. Not a single song was solely written by Tupac.
If I can't talk about producing, you can't talk about writing.

We are talking about rapping. Writing your own lyrics is part of a rapper's skill set.

Having ghostwriters is hardly anything new - look at the tracklist for All Eyez On Me. Not a single song was solely written by Tupac.

I'm not talking about ghostwriters or writing songs. I'm talking about having your lyrics written for you which is what Dre does. And they aren't ghostwriters if they've been credited.
We are talking about rapping. Writing your own lyrics is part of a rapper's skill set.

I fully agree with you. Mastering and producing is also a part of a rapper's skill set. That's why they're rappers and not performance poets.

If you want to base the greatest rapper of all time simply on the quality of the words they write and the way they say them, then I'd say Obama or Shakespeare should be in the rap hall of fame.
I fully agree with you. Mastering and producing is also a part of a rapper's skill set. That's why they're rappers and not performance poets.

No it isn't, that's producers and sound engineers. Rappers are vocalists. Rapping without music would be spoken word or poetry. Rapping to music is rapping.

If you want to base the greatest rapper of all time simply on the quality of the words they write and the way they say them, then I'd say Obama or Shakespeare should be in the rap hall of fame.

That's not rapping though.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh man I don't know how to make it any simpler than I already have.

If you're judging a rapper purely on the words they write and say, you're not judging them on their ability to be a rapper. You're judging them on their ability to be a poet.

It's like basing a soldier's ability in combat purely on how well he can not get shot.
Oh man I don't know how to make it any simpler than I already have.

If you're judging a rapper purely on the words they write and say, you're not judging them on their ability to be a rapper. You're judging them on their ability to be a poet.

It's like basing a soldier's ability in combat purely on how well he can not get shot.

That's an awful analogy lol.

& I don't think you know what rapping is. I've already explained the difference between rapping and spoken word poetry.

Quick Reply

Latest