The Student Room Group

Government Legal Services Trainee Scheme (2018 applications)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryJ36
Was it nerves or was it particularly difficult?

I think mostly nerves. It was my first proper job interview and I panicked somewhat
Original post by CarteretWeb
Hey I am a current GLS legal trainee / pupil. Happy to answer any questions about the application or the scheme generally.

Hello, I was just wonder if you could shine some light on how the interviews are like?
Original post by hectorrector
Hello, I was just wonder if you could shine some light on how the interviews are like?

Sure

What they call an assessment day is actually a 1/2 day with two parts. The first part is a written exercise based on materials they provide you on the day. You get a laptop and all the information you need. The one I did was a theoretical act of parliament and you had to write a memo advise a minister if a proposal would cause issues with the act. It doesn't require any legal knowledge but is testing your communication skills and making decisions.

The advise you write is then printed off, you are given a copy and they give copies to the interview panel and give time to allow you to read through what you wrote.

Then the interview. There was a panel of 3 - two senior government lawyers and one independent HR person. The first part of the interview is they ask questions about your written advice and give you the chance to correct anything or expand on things. They also asked me general follow up questions about the theoretical provision.

Then the formal interview. It is very much a competency based civil service style interview. They didn't refer to my application form at all - I think they get a copy with various parts redacted. The interview lends itself well to extensive preparation - maybe more so that any interview I have done.

You need to answer in the well known STAR format:

Situation set the context for your story.

Task what was required of you.

Activity what you actually did. - Bet to focus on "I" rather than what the team did or what happened.

Result how well the situation played out.

I would suggest preparing some STAR based anecdotes of jobs you have done or situations you have been in to deal with every one of the competencies in the job description. Also be prepared they might ask you to give more than one example of each competency - I think I was asked about team work twice which slightly threw me off as I had already used my best teamwork example and had to think of another one on the fly.

Also keep the answers pithy and on point. You don't need to tell the whole back story to set the scene - just a sentence to explain what the background is. In the result part you can also reflect on what you could have done better etc.

They also ask you more focussed questions like why you want to be a government lawyer or why you want to work in public service– not just the generic “why do you want to be a lawyer”

I was also asked the usual questions about what cases have you read about recently.

Hope that is useful.
Reply 23
Original post by CarteretWeb
Sure

What they call an assessment day is actually a 1/2 day with two parts. The first part is a written exercise based on materials they provide you on the day. You get a laptop and all the information you need. The one I did was a theoretical act of parliament and you had to write a memo advise a minister if a proposal would cause issues with the act. It doesn't require any legal knowledge but is testing your communication skills and making decisions.

The advise you write is then printed off, you are given a copy and they give copies to the interview panel and give time to allow you to read through what you wrote.

Then the interview. There was a panel of 3 - two senior government lawyers and one independent HR person. The first part of the interview is they ask questions about your written advice and give you the chance to correct anything or expand on things. They also asked me general follow up questions about the theoretical provision.

Then the formal interview. It is very much a competency based civil service style interview. They didn't refer to my application form at all - I think they get a copy with various parts redacted. The interview lends itself well to extensive preparation - maybe more so that any interview I have done.

You need to answer in the well known STAR format:

Situation set the context for your story.

Task what was required of you.

Activity what you actually did. - Bet to focus on "I" rather than what the team did or what happened.

Result how well the situation played out.

I would suggest preparing some STAR based anecdotes of jobs you have done or situations you have been in to deal with every one of the competencies in the job description. Also be prepared they might ask you to give more than one example of each competency - I think I was asked about team work twice which slightly threw me off as I had already used my best teamwork example and had to think of another one on the fly.

Also keep the answers pithy and on point. You don't need to tell the whole back story to set the scene - just a sentence to explain what the background is. In the result part you can also reflect on what you could have done better etc.

They also ask you more focussed questions like why you want to be a government lawyer or why you want to work in public service– not just the generic “why do you want to be a lawyer”

I was also asked the usual questions about what cases have you read about recently.

Hope that is useful.

This is a particularly helpful post, much appreciated.
Anyone heard about the SJT yet?
Reply 25
Nope
Anyone heard anything yet?
Original post by cbridges18
Anyone heard anything yet?

Nope.

Last year I didn’t hear until about 6
Reply 28
Last year I’d been rejected by 11am 🤣
I'm sure there's plenty of time for rejection yet!
Nothing here yet either. Good luck, all!
still no
Reply 32
Crumbs this is a bit much hahaha
Just got an email saying I'm through, guys. Good luck and fingers crossed yours come through soon :smile:
Just got the email (passed)!
Reply 35
Well done guys!
Original post by HarryJ36
Well done guys!

Thanks, hopefully you'll hear soon! Good luck!
Reply 37
Original post by annacrrm
Thanks, hopefully you'll hear soon! Good luck!

If you don’t hear from me again it’s cos I haven’t and I’ve smashed my phone and laptop up hahahaha
I just got an email saying I passed too!
Reply 39
just got the email saying I passed too !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending