The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhaegar459
no lmao, apprenticeships arent even FO otherwise everyone and their nan would apply

I’m placed in FO, and have the chance to deal when it comes to it. Yeah, it’s rare, not a lot and basically ALL are not FO, but by the time you guys finish university you’ll see people in the FO who’v came from an apprenticeship. Take my word for it
Like i said, i'm going to get a msc at a better uni in comp sci on top of my chem eng bachelors at a far better uni.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by exam freak
Conceptually I find it incredibly interesting. I enjoy learning about them. First derivative I got interested in were commodities such as oil, being a chemical engineering grad and going to a BP IST trading day. I also find things like CDS's interesting as well as CDO's. I've spent hours and hours just reading about it. My current job is in Credit derivatives rather then FX, commodities or equities.
Wouldn't you be more interested in derivatives structuring as opposed to trading then? Derivatives trading doesn't really involve much of a conceptual knowledge of the product.
People on the apprenticeship dont work on M&A though lmfao

You’re missing my point - I said apprentices don’t work in M&A lol. Everyone knows that. Grads from oxbridge struggle to find M&A roles, let alone apprentices.
Original post by tomallen98
I’m placed in FO, and have the chance to deal when it comes to it. Yeah, it’s rare, not a lot and basically ALL are not FO, but by the time you guys finish university you’ll see people in the FO who’v came from an apprenticeship. Take my word for it

Nope you're not. Stop lying. LOOOL

No one from the apprenticeship will go on to FO, you get a CISI qualification (which is a more niche version of the CFA) and if youre lucky theyll give you a place in middle office. Programmes arent even 3 years long.

I did lots of research on the apprenticeships and theyre only good if youre not bothered with FO.
You’re missing my point - I said apprentices don’t work in M&A lol. Everyone knows that. Grads from oxbridge struggle to find M&A roles, let alone apprentices.

What i mean is you never will
Actually no the apprenticeships arent even good, no guarantee of job at all. Seems like they launch a shabby apprenticeship for a tax break, or to fill up spaces in their non London offices
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Wouldn't you be more interested in derivatives structuring as opposed to trading then? Derivatives trading doesn't really involve much of a conceptual knowledge of the product.

Ye thats not a bad idea. I mean I do like following markets and current affairs which is applicable to trading. But yes that might be a good way to go instead for me.
Nope you're not. Stop lying. LOOOL

No one from the apprenticeship will go on to FO, you get a CISI qualification (which is a more niche version of the CFA) and if youre lucky theyll give you a place in middle office. Programmes arent even 3 years long.

I did lots of research on the apprenticeships and theyre only good if youre not bothered with FO.

Right okay, if you’re talking about pure revenue generating then of course not - but they work as an assistant. Again, requiring networking with FO people and may eventually deal.

I don’t think you researched enough - and it depends on the firm. I’m happy where I am, a foot in the door is what counts
Actually no the apprenticeships arent even good, no guarantee of job at all. Seems like they launch a shabby apprenticeship for a tax break, or to fill up spaces in their non London offices

There’s no guarantee of a job if you do a summer intern at a firm, or even an analyst programme lol.

Same principles, same process. If you smash it out hard, chances are you’ll get a FT offer and grow within the firm.

A friend of mine at UBS is now a junior client advisor in FO, he was an apprentice.
Right okay, if you’re talking about pure revenue generating then of course not - but they work as an assistant. Again, requiring networking with FO people and may eventually deal.

I don’t think you researched enough - and it depends on the firm. I’m happy where I am, a foot in the door is what counts

No you're not an assistant, there's no such thing. You work in a completely role in middle office with 0 guarantee of a job at the end of the apprenticeship. You'd be lucky to even get a full time job. To then think you can network into FO is pure delusion, youre not even in London
No you're not an assistant, there's no such thing. You work in a completely role in middle office with 0 guarantee of a job at the end of the apprenticeship. You'd be lucky to even get a full time job. To then think you can network into FO is pure delusion, youre not even in London

Oh my word - you’re a troll. So there is no such thing as a trading assistant? Lol - that’s the best way to network with traders to land on a junior trading desk.
There’s no guarantee of a job if you do a summer intern at a firm, or even an analyst programme lol.

Same principles, same process. If you smash it out hard, chances are you’ll get a FT offer and grow within the firm.

A friend of mine at UBS is now a junior client advisor in FO, he was an apprentice.

Your friend is not in FO. No one can get into FO from their apprenticeship.

at least the big 4 offer a 6yr apprenticeship with job guarantee and promotion, you've deluded yourself into going to an apprenticeship at a bank purely for the name
Oh my word - you’re a troll. So there is no such thing as a trading assistant? Lol - that’s the best way to network with traders to land on a junior trading desk.

No, you're a troll. Troll for thinking you can somehow get into FO through an apprenticeship thats not even in London.
Your friend is not in FO. No one can get into FO from their apprenticeship.

at least the big 4 offer a 6yr apprenticeship with job guarantee and promotion, you've deluded yourself into going to an apprenticeship at a bank purely for the name

He’s a junior client advisor in the FO you halfwit. Another works on equity derivatives in FO as an assistant for 3 traders at JPM.
He’s a junior client advisor in the FO you halfwit. Another works on equity derivatives in FO as an assistant for 3 traders at JPM.

If you're an ASSISTANT you're not GENERATING REVENUE therefore its not FO.

I'd rather work in middle office actually doing something for the firm than be an assistant licking a traders a$$ all day with some delusional dream of replacing them, what is this American Gangster?
No, you're a troll. Troll for thinking you can somehow get into FO through an apprenticeship thats not even in London.

oh my word. Theyre both based in London. Seriously, if you geographically incline then you would know.
oh my word. Theyre both based in London. Seriously, if you geographically incline then you would know.

Lol mate idc, point is you cant get into FO through an apprenticeship, dont even think you can get a respectable middle office place. Probably just some back office slave like "assistant".
If you're an ASSISTANT you're not GENERATING REVENUE therefore its not FO.

I'd rather work in middle office actually doing something for the firm than be an assistant licking a traders a$$ all day with some delusional dream of replacing them, what is this American Gangster?

You May think you’re being a realist, but you’re very narrow minded. Yeah, the traditional way is degree and FO.

Apprentices don’t get placed into FO as a revenue generator, they get placed in FO with revenue generators to gain the experience of the products, the role, then if they’re great at it then revenue generating may be for them - you’re telling me they could be amazing at the job but lack a degree, and not get a chance? Highly unlikely.
Lol mate idc, point is you cant get into FO through an apprenticeship, dont even think you can get a respectable middle office place. Probably just some back office slave like "assistant".

I ain’t your mate 🏌🏼*♂️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending