The Student Room Group

The hardest topic in maths?

In your opinion, what is the hardest topic in A-level maths? I am starting it in September.
Which.... I mean A-level maths? GCSE maths? What exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by monkeyman0121
Which.... I mean A-level maths? GCSE maths? What exam board?

Well it says A-level and the exam board doesn't matter.
Original post by SamMed
Well it says A-level and the exam board doesn't matter.

Oh my mistake I just read the forum links rather than the actual description since the question is in the title. You should really post it in the A-level maths forum, might get you more responses.

Also exam boards can matter. I mean some topics are easier than others because of exam boards. I would say the hardest topics would be vectors, integration etc.
Reply 4
Original post by monkeyman0121
Oh my mistake I just read the forum links rather than the actual description since the question is in the title. You should really post it in the A-level maths forum, might get you more responses.

Also exam boards can matter. I mean some topics are easier than others because of exam boards. I would say the hardest topics would be vectors, integration etc.

Oh, well I clicked A-level maths and then ask question, that's a bit weird. Does the content vary quite a lot between exam boards then?
http://mrbartonmaths.com/students/a-level/past-papers/

See for yourself. Also this is an old specification. (I think.)

I think maths A-levels from this year are becoming linear or something like that. (Where you do all exams at the end and I think there are 3 or 4 instead of like 6.)
Don't listen to me about this do some research, I may be wrong.
Reply 6
I found vectors fairly difficult for pure maths

And I did the statistic modules and I can gladly say permutations and arrangements was a pain in the ARSE
the hardest topic in maths is Fourier analysis, may his soul rest in peace.
Original post by SamMed
In your opinion, what is the hardest topic in A-level maths? I am starting it in September.

I have been doing a level maths for a year now, it's not as bad as people made it out to be (at least for me). But yeah it's linear, as you may already know, and personally I'm finding the mostly mechanics and statistics harder than the core maths modules like calculus etc. But it all depends on whether you are more algebra/physics inclined. In my humble opinion
I would say the 'hardest' is A2 integration but that's (in my opinion) the most fun. Certainly the most annoying topic is statistics...
Reply 10
Original post by Professor Jay

That's certainly not A level
Original post by Professor Jay

Fourier analysis in A-Level?
That would be insane. Fourier doesn't even come up in A-Level further maths.
Reply 12
Original post by SamMed

For me personally, statistics. I hate statistics with a passion and only use it when absolutely necessary for example probabilities in quantum and for normal distributions (im a physics undergrad). Topic that most people find hardest is integration becasue there's alot of it. I really life integration because once you've learned the rules its upto you on how to piece together the solution to an integral. Don't think about whats hardest, just make sure you do lots of practice questions and you'll be fine
Original post by SamMed

I hate statistics & calculus...
Integration probably, but still a fair bit easier than further maths integration
Permutations and combinations, the only topic in all of maths and further maths I couldn't get my head around

Quick Reply

Latest