The Student Room Group

A level or B Tech

Which is best to take A Level or B tech?
I’m currently deciding between 2 different collages, 1 collage is b tech while the other is A level.

•B tech health and social care
•A level psychology and health and social care
(edited 5 years ago)
A-Level physiology?

Never heard of that.

Do you mean psychology considering that your spelling wasn't very good in the post or is this a weird A-Level I've never heard of?
Original post by ckfeister
Given your grammar, BTEC.

It was a waste of time comment and clearly judgemental on a small auto corrected grammar mistake.
Reply 3
BTEC's will not get you into a good uni. All unis ( there might be some really rare exceptions) want A Levels. Also there's the stigma attached to ppl who take BTECs i.e that they're not smart enough to do A Levels.
A levels.
Original post by Smithyroseemily
It was a waste of time comment and clearly judgemental on a small auto corrected grammar mistake.

What is best to take? A-Level Psychology, Health and Social Care or BTEC Health and Social Care? I'm currently deciding between 2 colleges, where one is BTEC and the other is A-Levels.

Do note, 2 A-Levels are not accepted in majority of good universities, therefore, you would need another A-Level, on top of that improve your writing skills.
Reply 6
Original post by Chrisx1
BTEC's will not get you into a good uni. All unis ( there might be some really rare exceptions) want A Levels. Also there's the stigma attached to ppl who take BTECs i.e that they're not smart enough to do A Levels.

Pretty much all universities accept BTEC (with the exception of Imperial). Of course you can get into a good one with a BTEC.

I did a Computing BTEC in college (with NO A levels) and I graduated from a top 20 (at the time) in Computer Science and am currently just finishing off my MSc, at a top 10 for Computer Science. Did better than most of my friends with A levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by yt7777
Pretty much all universities accept BTEC (with the exception of Imperial). Of course you can get into a good one with a BTEC.

I did a Computing BTEC in college (with NO A levels) and I graduated from a top 20 (at the time) in Computer Science and am currently just finishing off my MSc, at a top 10 for Computer Science.

Times have changed since you went to uni. Nowadays, most unis ( or should I say GOOD UNIS) won't accept BTECs. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Reply 8
Original post by Chrisx1
Times have changed since you went to uni. Nowadays, most unis ( or should I say GOOD UNIS) won't accept BTECs. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I graduated from my Bachelors only last year... and still studying for my MSc.

You're talking rubbish, of course they will just look up some entry requirements at what you consider a good uni. Off the top of my head: Oxford, UCL, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham all accept for certain courses and there are plenty more top unis which will too.

EDIT:
Some sources:

Oxford - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1
UCL (one example - there are many more courses that accept) - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/information-management-business-bsc/
Exeter (one example - most courses accept)- https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/law/law/
Notts - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/applying/access-btec-entryrequirements.aspx

Literally every uni with the exception of Imperial and some Scottish unis accept BTEC for at least some courses.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chrisx1

Not true! Some University courses require / accept BTEC’s in place of A-Level. Not every single course wants 3 straight A-Levels.

It entirely depends on what the OP would like to study.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chrisx1

The university you go to doesn't spell end of the world as long as it is average. Academic background is a small fraction of what employers look for, some won't even care.
Thank you all!
I did BTEC and I have got into Kent University.
BTEC is much less stressful than A level and unless you are aiming for Oxford or Cambridge it is the better option as it is mostly corse work and you will know your grade before the summer starts so you can relax
Which is best to take A Level or B tech?
I’m currently deciding between 2 different collages, 1 collage is b tech while the other is A level.

•B tech health and social care
•A level psychology and health and social care

Hey i took BTEC health and social care AND Alevel Psychology and Alevel Sociology :smile:
I got unconditional offers at three universities.
If you take the Alevel route you really need to do three of them.

There are good and bad points to each.
- Personally found btec very very easy! I was so glad I took it. It was easy to manage my time, and I love coursework.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by minivampire
Hey i took BTEC health and social care AND Alevel Psychology and Alevel Sociology :smile:
I got unconditional offers at three universities.
If you take the Alevel route you really need to do three of them.

There are good and bad points to each.
- Personally found btec very very easy! I was so glad I took it. It was easy to manage my time, and I love coursework.

Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!

No problem :smile:
And don't pay attention to the people commenting on your grammar, I'm shocking sometimes :biggrin:

But if you are planning on going to uni, I'd say look at the unis you plan on going to. Most of them will accept btecs (hence my unconditionals) but some will ask for an Alevel in a particular area (depending on the course you apply to) - that is if uni is what you are considering.
*I got into Staffs uni, Derby and keele with what I took*

Is it possible in the Alevel college to also takr a btec alongside it? Like what I did.
I'm only saying it because ALevels are a massive jump from.gcses! And for me doing two alevels and a btec made everything easier :smile:

But at the end of the day if you don't like the course, remember you can change and/or move college if you need to.
A girl in my college started college, didn't like it so went to another one - didn't like that one so came back to the first colllege. So nothing is set in stone.

If your plan is to go to a career instead. I applied to a care home not too long ago and they were pleased to see health and social care there.

There is a stigma attached to btecs that only stupid people takr it. That is not the case at all, I passed all my gcse's and I got 'A' in my Alevel mocks.
For one piece of coursework I wrote 100,000 evaluating psychological perspectives regarding real life casr studies, including psychological research from.journals to back my points.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chrisx1

Although I used to think the same thing a few years ago, this is incorrect - I know plenty of people who did 2 BTECs with 1 A-level and they've all achieved great results this year and gotten into really good universities such as UoB (RG), Cardiff (RG), Nottingham (RG), Aston etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending