The Student Room Group
BPP University
BPP University

BPP not allowing the LLM top-up

I was a LPC student at BPP Leeds, I had to resit an elective and since passed the LPC, however i have been given the grade of "complete", not been awarded the post graduate diploma, and been told i am no longer allowed to top-up to receive the masters degree. The BPP handbook clearly states i will receive the PG diploma on completion of the LPC and i feel mislead by BPP that they will not abide by their own guidelines as the course fees included a "free masters degree". This means i will now have to go to a different university to complete the LLM top-up.
Original post by thecodfarther07
I was a LPC student at BPP Leeds, I had to resit an elective and since passed the LPC, however i have been given the grade of "complete", not been awarded the post graduate diploma, and been told i am no longer allowed to top-up to receive the masters degree. The BPP handbook clearly states i will receive the PG diploma on completion of the LPC and i feel mislead by BPP that they will not abide by their own guidelines as the course fees included a "free masters degree". This means i will now have to go to a different university to complete the LLM top-up.

If you believe your interpretation is correct then you can make an official complaint. Alternatively you can try suing them. It is important you do your research or get the exact basis on which they are denying you the top up. I am not sure anyone else will do the LLM top up as i thought it was just an extended essay?
BPP University
BPP University
I have taken my complaint to the office of the independent adjudicator (OIA) who have agreed my grade should be a pass, but will not force the university to allow me to top up as they will not interfere with academic judgement. The university reason was as i failed a stage 2 elective 3 times i failed the course, however the LPC handbook stated if i fail a stage 2 elective i could enrol onto another module. BPP have since updated their handbook, but when i enrolled it stated upon completing the LPC i could top-up.
Hard for me to comment:

I would have thought a pass is a pass, although it might say pass at first attempt. You have the handbook and you know the situation.
If the OIA wont do anything and you have exhausted the complaints procedure by default then you will have to decide whether you will sue them .

I cant see how it is academic judgement it is a question of fact? If the SRA accept you have passed then that should be enough. You need to prss them on their reasoning as to why you are denied and where they base that from?
BPP have argued that i have passed the LPC, but not the post graduate diploma, therefore not eligible to top up to a masters degree. The newer guidelines state if you fail an exam 3 times you fail the course overall, but when i enrolled this wasn't the case. My grade of "complete" will still allow me to obtain a training contract, but would not be taken as serious as someone who has a post graduate diploma.
(edited 5 years ago)
BPP have argued that i have passed the LPC, but not the post graduate diploma, therefore not eligible to top up to a masters degree. The newer guidelines state if you fail an exam 3 times you fail the course overall, but when i enrolled this wasn't the case. My grade of "complete" will still allow me to obtain a training contract, but would not be taken as serious as someone who has a post graduate diploma.

May I ask which module was it that you have a complete?
Original post by mariasanchez1234
May I ask which module was it that you have a complete?

The overall LPC grade is a "complete". I have passed all the exams as required by the university.
The overall LPC grade is a "complete". I have passed all the exams as required by the university.

Yes, I understood that. I just wanted to know which module was it that you had to resit.
Original post by mariasanchez1234
Yes, I understood that. I just wanted to know which module was it that you had to resit.

I failed the private acquisitions module on a third attempt, so in accordance with the university guidelines i took the employment law module instead and passed on the first attempt.
I would have thought they couldn't change the terms like that in that case and you have a good case. However read every word of your original terms as it might
say they can impose new terms from time to take as they choose - however even if they say so that might be an unreasonable term to hide in a consumer contract most people will not read so may be void.
Hi guys,This top up LLM is so tricky. DO NOT DO IT.I stupidly opted for this LLM(Solicitor). I passed all LPC modules and the final dissertation in the first sitting. However they gave me resit for BMS. The hand book says I am entitled to edit and resubmit the essay .But no one knows when the second attempt result will be released. VLE only talks about April 2019 (8 months later) as a deadline. Programme leader, personal tutor and examination team are silent and I assume they do not have information . Imagine how bloody disorganized is this university. Given that I have already started another course based on a confirmation letter. and waiting for my new visa. just please do not do it. There is no superviser and proper teacher for these top up degree, and they keep saying that it is integrated not top up.!!!!
Hi guys,This top up LLM is so tricky. DO NOT DO IT.I stupidly opted for this LLM(Solicitor). I passed all LPC modules and the final dissertation in the first sitting. However they gave me resit for BMS. The hand book says I am entitled to edit and resubmit the essay .But no one knows when the second attempt result will be released. VLE only talks about April 2019 (8 months later) as a deadline. Programme leader, personal tutor and examination team are silent and I assume they do not have information . Imagine how bloody disorganized is this university. Given that I have already started another course based on a confirmation letter. and waiting for my new visa. just please do not do it. There is no superviser and proper teacher for these top up degree, and they keep saying that it is integrated not top up.!!!!
Sorry, I may be in a similar situation. I am aware that you added your post years ago, however I would be so grateful if you could answer a few of questions. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending