The Student Room Group

Good laptop for college work?

Hey there, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could suggest suitable laptops for college work. With an understandable price of course.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChevaIier
Hey there, I'd really appreciate it if anyone could suggest suitable laptops for college work. With an understandable price of course.

Thread moved to Laptops, netbooks and tablets; consider using our Laptop recommendation thread template to allow people to make recommendations more suited to your needs/budget. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,

I have used a laptop since year 8 and I am currently using a surface pro.
I got it for £800 with the keyboard in a Christmas deal. It has 128GB of ssd storage, 4GB of RAM with a current gen i5 processor.
Very useful for college work and will hold its value should you sell it.
a laptop that works close thread
you have a really pessimistic view of the common sense of others

Dell Latitude D620
I would recommend a thinkpad since they're cheap and decent, but we need to know what exactly you'll be doing
Recompiling the linux kernel on a daily basis? Or using google docs?
Reply 7
My budget is £300-500, I mean I do know a bit about laptops but the thing is that there isn't a lot of quality laptops around that budget.. Windows is more efficient in my opinion as most people use it so Windows. Lightweight so it's easier to carry around, I just need decent storage, so not too low or too high.
My budget is £300-500, I mean I do know a bit about laptops but the thing is that there isn't a lot of quality laptops around that budget.. Windows is more efficient in my opinion as most people use it so Windows. Lightweight so it's easier to carry around, I just need decent storage, so not too low or too high.

Stretch to another £15 and get this. Quad core i5 and 8GB of RAM will deliver excellent performance, nice display, backlit keyboard, lightweight for a 15" at a hair over 2kg, and a nicely sized SSD.

https://www.ebuyer.com/818882-lenovo-v330-15ikb-laptop-81ax00cbuk?affid=78888&affname=Skimlinks&awc=2690_1533295808_e6f8c84d4d7bbfde23bb1ffcfc70c1bb&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Sub+Networks&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_content=0&utm_term=78888
I have an Acer chromebook which is perfect for what I need a laptop to do and is very cheap but I understand they're not suitable for most people. If you only need to use a laptop for surfing the internet and writing documents (for this I use Google Docs as I find it better than Microsoft but you can download word and stuff) then I'd recommend a chromebook
Looks terrible
I picked up my iPad 9.7 £319 brand new and with discount from Apple store/John Lewis store and ordered a cheap cover and keyboard for a tenner on amazon and it’s done the trick. As I can’t really type due fibromyalgia I use Siri and it does all everything I want it to do.
You could also pick up Pages, numbers keynote free with it on the App Store. Or simply ask ask College your school/college if you have access to their office 365 subscription and use that if you prefer.
Apple are offering excellent discounts for students thus coming year

I was gonna recommend a MacBook till I saw ur budget. Tbh just make sure u get an i5 processor, don't get an amd processor at this price point it would be trash
Original post by Luke5125
Looks terrible

In what sense?
false

Hate Lenovo
Original post by Luke5125
false

Hate Lenovo

You hating a brand doesn't stop it being a great product.
I also take my iPad 9.7 out with my keyboard or my cheap laptop but I don’t take my Mac out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending