The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

'Ask a Student' University of Leeds

Hey there!!

This is part of the 'Ask a Student' series set up by @04MR17

I'm Elvendork, and for the past 4 years I've been at Chemistry student at the University of Leeds, and in September I'll be carrying on my PhD here!
During my 4 years, I've been an Ambassador for my course, worked on open days and been a committee member of a society, I've also visited (nearly) all the accommodations with the exception of CitySide and Liberty Dock

If you have any questions, post them here and I'll try to answer them!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What’s your opinion on central village? People say it’s antisocial but it looks really nice
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by madeljackson
What’s your opinion on central village? People say it’s antisocial but it looks really nice

It is really nice, lots of fridge and freezer space, but not many cupboards in the newer block- but the ensuites are pretty good

It does seem very quiet, I wouldn't say it massively anti-social, it's just the nature of the building, there's 4 blocks and in the giant block (which everyone seems to live in!) there's about 4 flats on a floor with nearly 25 floors, so lots of people but it's difficult to find everyone

Is there a specific reason you want central village?
Well I’ve applied for CV but I think it’s v competitive so I don’t know whether I’ll get in. Thanks for your description! Are the flats locked off from each other or? Also are visitors really not allowed?
Reply 4
Well I’ve applied for CV but I think it’s v competitive so I don’t know whether I’ll get in. Thanks for your description! Are the flats locked off from each other or? Also are visitors really not allowed?

Ah, well good luck! It's massively oversubscribed - you'll be offered either Oxley (if ensuite was most important) or Montague Burton (If distance was most important)

Flats all have a locked front door, then each bedroom has it's own key, so when you go to lectures you can lock your room

There's a security guard on the desk, but honestly they don't care about visitors, unless you look really shady and over the age of a normal student, they won't bother
I didn't live there, but visited my friends a lot - we were never questioned or asked to sign in
Ah cool, where did you live then? What’s oxley like?
Reply 6
Ah cool, where did you live then? What’s oxley like?

I stayed at IQ in my first year (It was very unknown back then!) then I moved into Hyde Park for my subsequent years

Oxley is pretty, and the flats are good, as long as you don't get assigned the main house. If you can cope with the bus journey to get to campus/city centre it's worth it. There's literally a bus every few minutes, so you aren't waiting long, plus it's right next to Headingley, so you don't even need the city centre to go to a pub or bar

From my experience (4 years ago), Oxley was more social than Central Village, maybe because it's a cheaper accommodation, maybe it's because it's far from campus so people talk to each other more, who knows?
do you have any experience with any of the societies at leeds?
is freshers week all that it's made up to be?
where did you make the majority of your friends at uni?
whats montague burton like?
Reply 8
Original post by cutestalpha
do you have any experience with any of the societies at leeds?
is freshers week all that it's made up to be?
where did you make the majority of your friends at uni?
whats montague burton like?

1. I was a committee member of the Chemistry Society in my third year, plus I've been part of a few general interest and volunteer societies. I know Leeds is a bit different to other unis as our union is literally the heart of the university, there's always something going off.
We have over 300 societies in every sport, interest, ethnic group, all the departments have a society. They'll all well run, and they put on such good events!!

2. Freshers week kills me every year. The union has something on every single night, and if you don't feel like going there, there will be at least two other 'student' club nights in town. In my past 4 freshers years, I've seen S Club, done a headphone disco, saw Joe Lycett, I literally can't remember it all, I've done so much!

3. Most of my friends came from my course, as I spend 10 hours a week in lectures and 9 hours a week in labs, you get really close. I made a couple of friends through my societies but they weren't close friends, they were just the same people I'd see every week

4. Monty B was decent when my friend stayed there, but I think it's all been refurbished now? It's very close to uni, and I remember it being very social - cheaper accommodations tend to be more social
Hi, Im starting my first year of MBiol medical biochemistry in October.

Do you know if I will be able to use the libraries before the start of term?
How are the rooms in the tannery?
Is there a space to practice guitar so I don't annoy my neighbors?

Original post by Grant9933
Hi, Im starting my first year of MBiol medical biochemistry in October.

Do you know if I will be able to use the libraries before the start of term?
How are the rooms in the tannery?
Is there a space to practice guitar so I don't annoy my neighbors?

Hi!
1.You can use the library as soon as you get your student card in freshers week, you may be able to get in before that if you go see reception and tell them your student ID number

2. From what I remember, the Tannery wasn't too bad - decent sized rooms and a nice big kitchen. I never really went much as it was so out of the way of everywhere else

3. I know there's practice rooms in the School of Music (but these may only be available to music students), and the union can let you book rooms for practice and things. Joining a music society may be the best option, as they'll know more than I do!
I have been allocated Montague Burton; can you please tell me what it is like as a place.
Thank you!
Original post by Smile0506
I have been allocated Montague Burton; can you please tell me what it is like as a place.
Thank you!

Hi!
Montague Burton is pretty nice, it's been refurbed recently although that now means you can be in flats of either 4 or 9 people (there's no way of knowing until you get there)
Very close to uni, and quite sociable
Reply 13
Hi, do you know what the Lyddon Hall annex houses are like, particularly the ones in Clarendon Place?
Hi, do you know where I can get my laptop fixed? I googled but there seems to be so many of them and I don't know which one is the best. Could you recommend a place or is there somewhere in the uni where I can get help? Thanks
Original post by iElvendork
Hey there!!

I'm Elvendork, and for the past 4 years I've been at Chemistry student at the University of Leeds, and in September I'll be carrying on my PhD here!
During my 4 years, I've been an Ambassador for my course, worked on open days and been a committee member of a society, I've also visited (nearly) all the accommodations with the exception of CitySide and Liberty Dock

Hi!! Just how much fridge/freezer space do you get at central village??
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!! Just how much fridge/freezer space do you get at central village??

Five people in a flat, two big fridge freezers!
Original post by iElvendork
Hey there!!

Hi! What would you say is the most sociable accommodation/best for freshers?
Hi.Can you tell me the policy for having fridges in the rooms at Montagu Burton please?Many thanks.
Hi.Can you tell me the policy for having fridges in the rooms at Montagu Burton please?Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest