This poll is closed

A name for a new kind of uni - vote for your favourite

EX10 16%
Agora 28%
Odyssey56%
Total votes: 556
:moon:

So imagine this....

An interdisciplinary university based in London created by leading academics and international businesses where students are given complex, real world social problems (on both a global and local scale) and then learn the practical knowledge and intellectual tools they will need in order to understand and solve them.

These are an example of the kind of problems students will be asked to unravel and offer solutions.

Global: We are headed for 10 billion on the planet by 2050. If this happens we'll need the equivalent of three planets to provide the natural resources for our current lifestyles - how can we tackle this?

Local: A small manufacturing plant in east London wants to build a concrete-making plant on site, but this will cause air pollution in an area where there are two schools nearby. If it doesn't open here it may move the whole plant abroad, removing high skill jobs from the local community which already has low employment - what solutions can we create?

So based on the proposition of this extraordinary university what name would you choose? Or is there a name you think fits better with this concept? Post it below :hat2:

EX10

Agora

Odyssey

Agora: a greek word, the literal meaning of the word is "gathering place" or "assembly". The agora was the center of the athletic, artistic, spiritual and political life of the city.

Odyssey: means an epic journey
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would like to know some of the back story behind these names and the rationales. Otherwise it's uni McUniface for me Jeff
what about the itsy bitsy teeny weeny university education machiney
Reply 3
I'd like to see more of a connection with the aims/objectives/motivations the institute and students should share. e.g.
- Sustain
- Thrive
- EcoLearn

Something emotive like that.

Best of luck with the research - hope you get lots of responses!

T
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Paulwyn
I would like to know some of the back story behind these names and the rationales. Otherwise it's uni McUniface for me Jeff

:Mcuniface:

Still makes me so happy :heart:

Reply 5
Uni McUniface
Original post by Thurnis Haley

Sold :judge:
Based in London?:rofl: hardly the role model for a green planet
All of the 3 names are awful and cringe :lol:
How about the humans are puny uni
Reply 8
I must say, i'm rather partial to the name "Odyssey".
Original post by CoolCavy
Based in London?:rofl: hardly the role model for a green planet
All of the 3 names are awful and cringe :lol:
How about the humans are puny uni

Is that London, the 5th greenest city in the world? That London? Or is it the other one which works in your narrative?
i like odyssey.
Let'sexplorethiscavelads University
Freedom University.
Original post by Paulwyn
Is that London, the 5th greenest city in the world? That London? Or is it the other one which works in your narrative?

Meow

It can be the greenest city in the world for all I care, it's still a city it's still polluted and dirty and crowded and nothing like a natural environment at all. A green city is an oxymoron. The healthiest cake out of a bunch still isn't good for you.
I think it should be called Symposium.
Original post by She-Ra
EX10

Sounds like the subtitle for a lackluster sci-fi series. That, or the model number for my toaster. Random letters and numbers stopped being cool in the 20th Century.

Original post by She-Ra
Odyssey

Also sounds like a sci-fi film and TV series. Kinda works from the whole 'education/life is a journey' angle, but it does nothing for me.

Original post by She-Ra
Agora

Definitely the best of the three. Anyone who disagrees is just being agoraphobic. :noway:
Original post by Telamonian Ajax
I think it should be called Symposium.

:gah::gah: I love that suggestion... that's exactly what it feels like.
I think it should have a more standard name than the ones suggested, it sounds a bit too pretentious otherwise. The Open University, for example, has an excellent name. The University of Skills, London - or, going on the Agora idea... something a little less pretentious would be 'The Forum', which basically means the same thing but is a much more widely-used word.... :hmmmm2:

Original post by CoolCavy
Meow

It can be the greenest city in the world for all I care, it's still a city it's still polluted and dirty and crowded and nothing like a natural environment at all. A green city is an oxymoron. The healthiest cake out of a bunch still isn't good for you.

Let's move off this, this thread isn't for bashing London - millions of people live there, so it can't be that bad. :yy: At any rate, that's enough please thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by Thurnis Haley

University McUniversityface
aka the most played-out joke in history

Nevermind, UWS beat me to it. That really hits the point home though
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Paracosm
I think it should have a more standard name than the ones suggested, it sounds a bit too pretentious otherwise. The Open University, for example, has an excellent name. The University of Skills, London - or, going on the Agora idea... something a little less pretentious would be 'The Forum', which basically means the same thing but is a much more widely-used word.... :hmmmm2:

Let's move off this, this thread isn't for bashing London - millions of people live there, so it can't be that bad. :yy: At any rate, that's enough please thanks!

I was responding to the person who unnecessarily quoted me.

Quick Reply

Latest