The Student Room Group

Do Hellenists believe in heaven?

Im doing a presentation about utopias and heaven is a utopia. The word utopia originates from greece I know hades is the god of the underworld and wealth but Is there an equivalent for heaven or can only gods enter heaven in hellenism
Hades leaves in the underworld, which is basically hell, and the 12 gods live in mountain Olympus, which is the tallest mountain in Greece. But yeah mortal people can't go there
(edited 5 years ago)
Utopia literally translates to "not a place"
Reply 3
Original post by iamElectro
Hades leaves in the underworld, which is basically hell, and the 12 gods live in mountain Olympus, which is the tallest mountain in Greece. But yeah mortal people can't go there

Thanks for the answer
Original post by YukioLukio
Thanks for the answer

np
Reply 5
Utopia literally translates to "not a place"

Actually theres two words as you said ou-topos means not a place but eu-topos which is almost identical means good place. Mortals can't live with the gods in olympus so therefore that makes you think if a perfect world even exists
Actually theres two words as you said ou-topos means not a place but eu-topos which is almost identical means good place. Mortals can't live with the gods in olympus so therefore that makes you think if a perfect world even exists

Um no, eu-topos is not a word. Yes eu- means good, but you can't just make words up. Please don't present false facts if you don't know.
I don’t know that you can equate Catholic heaven to Greek realms.

Olympus isn’t heaven - it’s a place where Immortals live and mortals aren’t allowed. Whether they can’t actually enter or not I don’t know - Bellerophon was stopped from entering by Zeus zapping his horse, but Heracles seemed to only be able to enter after he died- both being demigods.

The underworld is where all the mortal souls go- and according to Homer it just sucks. Everyone is really boring and irritating and doesn’t know jack about what is going on in the mortal realm.

Given that people go to the underworld exactly as they died and also lose their humour/wit, there would be loads of people just walking about dressed as soldiers or whatever. It sounds like spending the rest of eternity trapped in a comic convention.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Um no, eu-topos is not a word. Yes eu- means good, but you can't just make words up. Please don't present false facts if you don't know.

http://www.bl.uk/learning/histcitizen/21cc/utopia/utopia.html is the british library wrong then?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
I don’t know that you can equate Catholic heaven to Greek realms.

Olympus isn’t heaven - it’s a place where Immortals live and mortals aren’t allowed. Whether they can’t actually enter or not I don’t know - Bellerophon was stopped from entering by Zeus zapping his horse, but Heracles seemed to only be able to enter after he died- both being demigods.

The underworld is where all the mortal souls go- and according to Homer it just sucks. Everyone is really boring and irritating and doesn’t know jack about what is going on in the mortal realm.

Given that people go to the underworld exactly as they died and also lose their humour/wit, there would be loads of people just milking about dresses as soldiers or whatever. It sounds like spending the rest of eternity trapped in a comic convention.

LOOOL I asked the same thing on quora and they told be about this place called elysium and elysian fields
Reply 10

They are not. The two words are in English homophonous, though, which might explain the usual conflation.

I had to read some of More's Utopia for a philosophy module as part of my undergrad. A difficult book in some ways, but cleverly done.
LOOOL I asked the same thing on quora and they told be about this place called elysium and elysian fields

Elysium was a much later thing, and I reckon made up by Homer. Also, it wasn't for normal people - it was more like Valhalla - you only got to go if you died heroically in battle or something.
Original post by gjd800
They are not. The two words are in English homophonous, though, which might explain the usual conflation.

I had to read some of More's Utopia for a philosophy module as part of my undergrad. A difficult book in some ways, but cleverly done.

That explains thanks :smile:))))))))
Original post by Trinculo
Elysium was a much later thing, and I reckon made up by Homer. Also, it wasn't for normal people - it was more like Valhalla - you only got to go if you died heroically in battle or something.

So does that mean there are lots of places and you are ranked depending on what you did?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending