The Student Room Group

Repeat year 12 or not?

Okay so I’m in a situation and I need some advice!!!

So I am currently going into year 13, studying biology, psychology, portyguse and applied science

I am miserably failing all my subjects apart from portuguse since I am fluent. I get bullied at school and I absolutely hate it there. So I have 2 options, I can either carry on year 13 at the school I’m at for a few more months and see if I can achieve okay ish grades since I only need 2 C’s to get into uni as I’m guaranteed an A* in portuguse. Or I can move schools to the one I originally wanted to go to and I can repeat year 12 and hopefully have more time to get better grades. I just really don’t want to redo year 12 as I hate school as it is and the thought of having to do it all over again makes me feel ill
Original post by nicolegrace1207
Okay so I’m in a situation and I need some advice!!!

So I am currently going into year 13, studying biology, psychology, portyguse and applied science

I am miserably failing all my subjects apart from portuguse since I am fluent. I get bullied at school and I absolutely hate it there. So I have 2 options, I can either carry on year 13 at the school I’m at for a few more months and see if I can achieve okay ish grades since I only need 2 C’s to get into uni as I’m guaranteed an A* in portuguse. Or I can move schools to the one I originally wanted to go to and I can repeat year 12 and hopefully have more time to get better grades. I just really don’t want to redo year 12 as I hate school as it is and the thought of having to do it all over again makes me feel ill

I don't know if that's what you would like, but it seems that, cuz of your opinion about your current school, my advice would be to re-take the year, as long as the unis you want to go to don't mind the retakes! It's your life and your happiness matters the most!
I repeated year 12 at a different college and for me it was really worth it. It really depends on if you have learnt from your mistakes this year and are willing to study really hard to make up for it.
Original post by topbomlover1
I repeated year 12 at a different college and for me it was really worth it. It really depends on if you have learnt from your mistakes this year and are willing to study really hard to make up for it.

My mum said that it’s almost impossible to be accepted in a different school to retake year 12 as it costs the government money, is this true or did you find it quite easy to move schools to retake the year?
My mum said that it’s almost impossible to be accepted in a different school to retake year 12 as it costs the government money, is this true or did you find it quite easy to move schools to retake the year?

I didn't pay for anything and I'm pretty sure you have a right to 3 years of sixth form/college and only after that you begin paying. You should check just in case though.

Sorry I had a long day at work and only read the question properly now.

It was really easy for me to move schools although I did contact them in June before their college year had ended. However, when I went in for enrollment day during August, my college was still accepting applications all the way into the first day of college. They accepted me straight away only asking for my GCSE grades and reasons for retaking the year.

You should check the school that you want to move to and see if they accept people who wish to retake the year but I'm sure if it's a state school and you have the GCSE grades they will let you.

Quick Reply

Latest