The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely. That's why they ask for a minimum grade B for maths and english to do any a-level as they are the general skills to be used in any subject. Don't worry though, as long as you have atleast a B in maths or english at GCSE, you'd be allowed to do a-level psychology... unless they ask for a different subject though. But I'm not entirely sure because I don't do psychology
Reply 21
If I do photography at GCSE can I do art at A level
Original post by Use Err Name
Some sixth forms might not, i.e. I know a local sixth form who won't let you take Geography without doing it at a-level. But that's pretty rare anyway.

If I didn't do business studies for GCSE would I be able to do it for A-Level?
Original post by Guidus
If I do photography at GCSE can I do art at A level

It's entirely up to the 6th form you want to go to, so ask them.
Original post by Bronagh_d
If I didn't do business studies for GCSE would I be able to do it for A-Level?

Yes. Lots of people do this. My school doesn't even offer Business (or Economics or Psychology) at GCSE but does all of them at A level.
I didn't take computing for o level but took it for a level?
but i want to be a lawyer and you have to study a lot cuz thats job seems a bit too hard can u still do it in 6th form
Original post by A.Cunningham
I`m not doing History GCSE right now, but I have asked if it will be possible to take it as an A Level and my History teacher has said YES, but I agree with other previous comments that you should check with the college that you are going too, because (at the end of the day) they will give the most accurate answer

thank you I shall definitely check with the collage I will apply to.
Reply 28
am I allowed to do computing science even if I didn't do it at gcse
Reply 29
Original post by ibear

There are no exam board rules about what you have to have taken at GCSE before you can take an A level. Individual colleges may set entry requirements but I would be surprised if they required GCSE Computing to do A level Computer Science as GCSE Computing is not that common a GCSE (it was only reintroduced about 5 years ago) and many schools don't offer it. 6th forms may however, to require a certain grade at GCSE Maths as a entry requirement for the A level Computing course..
so if i didnt take gcse history can i still take it at sixth form for a levals? thanks
what about ICT?
I want to know about IT too.
Original post by staceyyyyyyy
what about ICT?

Some Sixth Forms I've been to have stated that experiance isn't needed as long as you have at least a B in Maths
But they have also said that using the website [https://www.codecademy.com] helps a lot.
Even so, You might want to ask someone who has taken the subject already

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:I AM STILL DOING GCSE'S:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I didn't take product design engineering for GCSE but do you think I could take it at A level ?
Reply 36
The person i sit next to in my AS Psychology class got an E in GCSE Psych and they still let her on to the course so I don't think GCSEs are relevant to doing non traditional subjects at A Level
I am currently studying level 3 Extended Diploma in health and social care and in my last year! However I have changed my mind and want to study computer science at university. Would it be possible to
Original post by brittanna
There are some subjects (e.g. french) where you would have to have done it at GCSE to do it at A Level.

I did A level French without having a GCSE in it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a course of action unless you spend a lot of time in the country with the target language. I enjoyed the challenge.

OP - Psychology is probably quite commonly done at A level without a GCSE foundation. But things like the physical/biological sciences very much build on what went before, and you'd obviously be in a much stronger position had you done triple science.
What about a subject like art?

Latest