The Student Room Group

My hatred for other football fans who DO NOT support their local club...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
What about the other point? It's not solely a geographical issue that people are making a point about. He isn't talking about people from London supporting Partick Thistle or Wrexham. He's talking about people supporting the same four or five teams. That has real effects for the local supporter/club. Let's at least acknowledge that.

Hang on, where exactly has he mentioned - at all - that people supporting "the same 4 or 5 teams" is a problem? That's not an issue that he's mentioned in any of his posts in this thread.

However..

So what are you proposing can be done about it? The only way that this isn't going to be an issue is if people are allocated teams at birth, and they have to support that team for life.

The bigger teams are always going to get more support, because they have more exposure, people get to know the players and the history of the club purely because there's more out there about those particular teams.

Being a supporter is a decision that make based on a few factors. Some might choose to support their local team because it's easier to get to matches, which is fine. Others might follow the sport and grow to like a certain team, which is also fine.

And even those people who only support a team when they're winning - so what? If you really enjoy a sport you might want to watch a team who wins, but that's up to you.

There's no way that you can tell people who to support. It's never going to happen, so it's pointless getting worked up about it.
(edited 5 years ago)
What about the other point? It's not solely a geographical issue that people are making a point about. He isn't talking about people from London supporting Partick Thistle or Wrexham. He's talking about people supporting the same four or five teams. That has real effects for the local supporter/club. Let's at least acknowledge that.

I couldn’t have said it better. You’ve hit the nail on the head for me!
Original post by BusinessExpert
People on here who say football is entertainment, that’s correct.

Possibly the first thing you've ever posted that I agree with. :yes: #EntertainmentExists
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Hang on, where exactly has he mentioned - at all - that people supporting "the same 4 or 5 teams" is a problem? That's not an issue that he's mentioned in any of his posts in this thread.

However..

So what are you proposing can be done about it? The only way that this isn't going to be an issue is if people are allocated teams at birth, and they have to support that team for life.

The bigger teams are always going to get more support, because they have more exposure, people get to know the players and the history of the club purely because there's more out there about those particular teams.

Being a supporter is a decision that make based on a few factors. Some might choose to support their local team because it's easier to get to matches, which is fine. Others might follow the sport and grow to like a certain team, which is also fine.

And even those people who only support a team when they're winning - so what? If you really enjoy a sport you might want to watch a team who wins, but that's up to you.

There's no way that you can tell people who to support. It's never going to happen, so it's pointless getting worked up about it.

Read his post and it's clear what he is talking about.
Mate, José Mourinho never really had an illustrious experiences as a player and yet has crafted one of the most illustrious managerial careers in the world by displaying superior knowledge of the game. Your logic of linking player talent with knowledge is pretty flawed my friend. Secondly, are you seriously proposing the notion of banning followers who aren't local to Manchester? Hands down one of the most insanely absurd things I've possibly ever read.

United would be nothing without establishing itself into the internationally renowned football/sports teams it is today. A previous comment is totally right in highlighting how pivotal gaining an overwhelming amount of Asian followers has been in allowing United to evolve into the club it is today.

Yes, Manchester United have followers who display seemingly minimal logic and knowledge on formulating prospective transfers, play-styles and formations etc. commonly through a lecture on social media comment section as if Mourinho is eagerly waiting for their expert advice. Yes, Manchester United are notorious along with other clubs such as City and Madrid for harboring supporters purely watching as underlying glory hunters. And yes, I personally agree having your phone out at a match can be frustrating, consequently tainting the atmosphere of the game. Just deal with it for christ sake!

Just to let you know I'm originally from Birmingham in the UK and yet grew up supporting United the entirety of my life just to trigger you a little more <3

At the end of the day, even though there are many of these individuals who follow football regardless of having either minimal knowledge, passion and talent or all three, who are you to disallow them from following the game? Football is for anyone and everyone. Watching the Russia World Cup displayed how amazing it is to watch countries come together to support their nations. It identically translates into club football, individuals from different backgrounds, ethnicity, countries etc. coming together and supporting their team.

The World Cup was a prime example of highlighting individuals discriminating against people for "Jumping on the World Cup bandwagon". Alright, so my Nan isn't usually an avid follower of club football and might frustrate the hell out of me asking who is who and what happened there when I'm watching my first ever England WC Semi-Final, but does it mean she can't follow the WORLD cup? No.

Stop living in the past and step into the future mate otherwise your hatred will continue to grow unfortunately because it's never going to change in the way you want.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by TheWrongProphet

The World Cup was a prime example of highlighting individuals discriminating against people for "Jumping on the World Cup bandwagon".

Rightly so as well most of the time.
I’m a Liverpool fan and yes, am incredibly excited when I finally manage to get hold of a ticket!
I’m more than happy to drive 2 hours to a game, wear my shirt and sing my head off!!! Can’t go every week. Getting tickets is nigh on impossible. And I have a family to support!
On the waiting list for season tickets, currently estimated at around 19 years!
My money and support is as valuable as anyone else’s thank you. And as someone with disabilities can’t kick a ball.
I drive a car. Should I qualify as a mechanic? Travel on planes but not a pilot.
Sew clothes but don’t weave fabric Eat meat but not a butcher. Could go on.
TBF your comments epitomise what the majority of fans think of Man U supporters anyway......,
Rightly so as well most of the time.

Yes, it's true in countless instances people jump on the bandwagon to purely post on social media etc. which in all fairness does likewise grind on me at times when they announce themselves as a massive supporter when in reality they've absolutely no clue if Rashford is a form of disease or a player. Nonetheless, the initial proposal of limiting people to locally supporting clubs is simply narrow-minded and contributes towards ruining the beautiful game.

Although irritating, just deal with it man. Grit your teeth and bare it because United are only going to become even more internationally recognized with time. Put it this way, either way, they inject mass enormous finance into clubs such as United, enabling the team to form such an incredible history and future. I can understand the dissatisfaction of supporters conveying fake passion, I really do, but the notions proposed are way too extreme and deluded in my opinion. Cheers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
You're only allowed to follow a sport if you can do it to a "decent level"?

:troll:

Similiarly, you are barred from buying any Whitney Houston songs if you can't sing like she did.
Yes, it's true in countless instances people jump on the bandwagon to purely post on social media etc. which in all fairness does likewise grind on me at times when they announce themselves as a massive supporter when in reality they've absolutely no clue if Rashford is a form of disease or a player. Nonetheless, the initial proposal of limiting people to locally supporting clubs is simply narrow-minded and contributes towards ruining the beautiful game.

Although irritating, just deal with it man. Grit your teeth and bare it because United are only going to become even more internationally recognized with time. Put it this way, either way, they inject mass enormous finance into clubs such as United, enabling the team to form such an incredible history and future. I can understand the dissatisfaction of supporters conveying fake passion, I really do, but the notions proposed are way too extreme and deluded in my opinion. Cheers.

Talking about people who talk shite during the World Cup. They are the ones who get highlighted. Say stupid shite get called stupid.

You can support more than one team. You're also assuming people who stop supporting the big teams always have to support a team somewhere.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
You can support more than one team. You're also assuming people who stop supporting the big teams always have to support a team somewhere.

What?
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!

Why do you assume that only those outside Manchester can be bad fans and only those inside can be good fans? I'm sure you get all sorts regardless of where they live.

I thought all the real Manchester fans supported Man City anyway.
Talking about people who talk shite during the World Cup. They are the ones who get highlighted. Say stupid shite get called stupid.

How exactly are they highlighted? Is it so hard to internally rage at their seemingly weaker footballing knowledge? Is it really worth adding fuel to the fire? I just don't believe it's worth it personally.
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!

Can't agree with all of this but you have some decent points. I'm a season ticket holder at Spurs and last year at Wembley with the day trippers was shite (god i miss old White Hart Lane).
I went to the FA Cup semi and United fans were quality (you were quieter when we battered you in the league though).

Anyway, part of the modern game and atleast it covers a couple of weeks of Sanchez or 85% of Pogba's goals.
How exactly are they highlighted? Is it so hard to internally rage at their seemingly weaker footballing knowledge? Is it really worth adding fuel to the fire? I just don't believe it's worth it personally.

There is nothing wrong with knowing little about football or only getting involved when the World Cup is on. Just don't barge in like an expert and expect not to get the piss taken out of you when you say something stupid.
What?

Personally, both club and country loyalty is a no-brainer and ridiculously important and although I massively disagree with supporting more than one team, I guess it's technically plausible although confusing and relatively pointless in my opinion.

Whatever floats their boat though, am I right? It's relatively easy to distinguish who's an avid follower and who isn't anyway. May as well leave them to it because nothing will change really.

People are entitled to support whoever they like, whenever they like, wherever they like.
There is nothing wrong with knowing little about football or only getting involved when the World Cup is on. Just don't barge in like an expert and expect not to get the piss taken out of you when you say something stupid.

Fair enough mate, completely agree with you there to be honest.
Personally, both club and country loyalty is a no-brainer and ridiculously important and although I massively disagree with supporting more than one team, I guess it's technically plausible although confusing and relatively pointless in my opinion.

Whatever floats their boat though, am I right? It's relatively easy to distinguish who's an avid follower and who isn't anyway. May as well leave them to it because nothing will change really.

People are entitled to support whoever they like, whenever they like, wherever they like.

Supporting two club teams is silly.
Supporting two club teams is silly.

Again, completely agree with you. Amazingly, some people do support both unfazed. The world in which we live XD

Quick Reply

Latest