The Student Room Group

My hatred for other football fans who DO NOT support their local club...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marshmello's Dad

Teams like PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid all have special seats for tourists who just want to have their phones out etc. Does United not have that? If the season tickets are sold out, surely the amount of 'plastic fans' should be minimal. A mere 2000 or so compared to the 74000 genuine fans...

Plus what wrong with people from other cities coming to games anyways, that's more effort they've had to put in than you probably catching a bus for 15 minutes.

Currently United sell 62,000 season tickets and 10,000 between official members and one off hospitality packages, with an away section of 3,100. The issue is a decent chunk of those season tickets that are renewed every year are being kept on by people who used to go regularly but now sell those seats on above face value on a game by game basis to fans from all over the world through social media.

There isn’t a tourist section, the club did come up with the awful idea of a “singing section” in 2014 which as expected only drew attention to the fact that the rest of the ground wasn’t singing, and became a tourist attraction in itself with one-off visitors looking to buy season ticket cards for the game in that particular season so they could “enjoy the atmosphere”.

Regardless of fans, it’s funny how the atmosphere was much better when United played fast paced attacking football at home and we had a lot of foreign supporters then too. People always miss that aspect ... fans rarely sound excited when they’re watching something that doesn’t give them any reason to be excited?
Original post by Wilfred Little
What?

Supporting a non-local team and supporting a local team is not an either or. You can support both and you can also support no-one.

Thus, the logic doesn't follow that people shouldn't support non-local teams because their local teams suffer.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
Supporting a non-local team and supporting a local team is not an either or. You can support both and you can also support no-one.

Thus, the logic doesn't follow that people shouldn't support non-local teams because their local teams suffer.

Except pretty much nobody supports multiple club teams.

You're right, definitely agree here. However, I think we were more referring to finding supporting two big league teams at the same time silly. For example, Manchester United and City, Barcelona and Madrid or Tottenham and Arsenal like.
Reply 44
I should support Sidac and my mates should support Whiston Juniors or Prescot Cables.

Except it is an either or situation given most games in all leagues kick off at the same time. I could want my local non league side to do well but when they're kicking off same time as Leicester, I've got to pick one or t'other. Soft spots for multiple teams yes, but that's not the same as supporting.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Except it is an either or situation given most games in all leagues kick off at the same time. I could want my local non league side to do well but when they're kicking off same time as Leicester, I've got to pick one or t'other. Soft spots for multiple teams yes, but that's not the same as supporting.

That's a good point as well.
Except pretty much nobody supports multiple club teams.

Source or your claim is meaningless.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

There's no obligation for people to be able to support only teams within the same country or even the same continent. A lot of people in Hong Kong support both an English team and a local team.
Source or your claim is meaningless.

Its not really possible to be in two places at once.
Its not really possible to be in two places at once.

Every single football team in the world plays every single game always at the exact same time?

Learning new things every day.
Every single football team in the world plays every single game always at the exact same time?

Learning new things every day.

They clash enough to make supporting two club teams full time impractical.
How local is local enough to you?

The nearest club to me doesnt even own a pitch.
Original post by mojojojo101
How local is local enough to you?

The nearest club to me doesnt even own a pitch.

Just don’t support PSG then...
Original post by BusinessExpert
Just don’t support PSG then...

Then I will pick The Strongest.

First team to win the Bolivian Championship without conceding a goal don't ya know.
Reply 55
Villa's going up! Going up! Villa's going up! *Lalalalalalalala*
Original post by IanDangerously
Currently United sell 62,000 season tickets and 10,000 between official members and one off hospitality packages, with an away section of 3,100. The issue is a decent chunk of those season tickets that are renewed every year are being kept on by people who used to go regularly but now sell those seats on above face value on a game by game basis to fans from all over the world through social media.

Problem with demand heavily outstripping supply is that when you finally get a Season Ticket, you aren't going to give it up easily. As a result they're often kept in the family or sold on to tourists when the actual holder can't attend (although the club are heavily cracking down on the latter). Liverpool have a massive problem with it too and as a result their waiting list is over 20yrs long.
It didn’t come home though
Original post by sr90
Problem with demand heavily outstripping supply is that when you finally get a Season Ticket, you aren't going to give it up easily. As a result they're often kept in the family or sold on to tourists when the actual holder can't attend (although the club are heavily cracking down on the latter). Liverpool have a massive problem with it too and as a result their waiting list is over 20yrs long.

Is there even a waiting list at MU? I find that hard to believe.
Reply 59
Original post by BusinessExpert
My local team is Manchester United.

Genuinely?

The closest league/non league club to where you were born happens to be Manchester United?

What's your second nearest?

Quick Reply

Latest