The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Tommy Robinson racist?

I'm in the process of creating a video on Tommy Robinson. In the past my views on Tommy Robinson was that he was part of the EDL and was a racist. I had no evidence to support it but from media outlets and it being the norm in my peer groups. Few years later, He's no longer part of the EDL and has continuously said he was disgusted on their behavior.

The more i look into what he is talking about the more confused i am on why he is this Nazi/ fascist/ racist? His view points are extreme i admit that however i wouldn't brand him as a Nazi nor Fascist, nor racist, it can be argued about discrimination . However whenever opposing an ideology or religion its going to be a sensitive subject

What actual evidence do people have that make him a racist, fascist, nazi etc? Because from what i'm looking into i don't see this out cry people are screaming about?

Scroll to see replies

yes and no

the guy scares me though (as a muslim)
He’s a nationalist. Nationalism can sometimes be cause racism but I wouldn’t call him racist.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
yes and no

the guy scares me though (as a muslim)

So what actual evidence though ? He has said he's not against Muslims but against Islam
Original post by Professional G
He’s a nationalist. Nationalism can sometimes be cause racism but I wouldn’t call him racist.

100% its a tricky situation especially in 2018. If you say you're patriotic now a days some random radical feminist is going to scream Nazi at you.
Original post by fireballxray
So what actual evidence though ? He has said he's not against Muslims but against Islam

pretty sure there was a video of him threatening all muslims in the country or something like that

What’s the difference? Of course if you attack the ideology, you are also attacking the followers.
He's been part of the BNP, co founded the EDL and has a track record of picking causes that target ethnic minorities.

However, whether anyone is racist or not is ultimately a subjective label.

Do I think he's a nice guy or a freedom fighter or anything other than an authentic populist - nope.

Do I think the vast, vast majority of British Muslims are nicer people and better citizens than he is he is: yup.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Is it racist to tell black people to go home if they complain of colonialism?
Original post by Nasir.
Is it racist to tell black people to go home if they complain of colonialism?

Of course it is, because this is also their home.
pretty sure there was a video of him threatening all muslims in the country or something like that

He said if another 7/7 happened they would feel the force of the British people
Original post by JTfoxlove
He's been part of the BNP, co founded the EDL and has a track record of picking causes that target ethnic minorities.

However, whether anyone is racist or not is ultimately a subjective label.

Do I think he's a nice guy or a freedom fighter or anything other than an authentic populist - nope.

Do I think the vast, vast majority of British Muslims are nicer people and better citizens than he is he is: yup.

dont forget football hooligan
He was 20 years old and didn't realize what the party was actually about, hes come out and said hes disgusted in what the EDL has become. Give me quotes, this is the generic broad answer everyone gives, i'm looking for direct messages from Tommy Robinson not wide sweeping points
Original post by Professional G

I would be careful conjoining nationalism and racism... the British national identity has evolved from an individualist mentality to that of acceptance of multiculturalism. With many British nationalists being Muslim or foreign speaking, they too are capable of being nationalists under the British wing, yet they are unlikely to be racist. Conservative of old tradition and thinking is more how I would describe Robinson, not nationalist; that would imply his views are widely shared and are supported by the general British national Identity. They are not
Tommy robinson is not racist. Racism implies a race. Islam is an ideology not a race. The only thing tommy fights for is radical Islam due to the fact that it is based on violence. Islam needs to go through what every other reglion has went through to become a modern ideology. Tommy is not against Muslim people that arent radical.
Obviously due to people not understanding this people hate him and its sad that we are not a free country. Tommy is fighting violence fueled and justified by this currently flawed ideology
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Of course it is, because this is also their home.

Then according to you Stephen Yaxley Lennon is a racist.
He said if another 7/7 happened they would feel the force of the British people

yeh but why threaten every single muslim in britian , should of been more specific
Hes not racist. Give me one specific example where he was racist.
He did, you haven't watched the video. He was talking about innocent British civilians dying at the hands of Islam on British soil

yeh but why threaten every single muslim in britian , should of been more specific
Original post by Boss987
Hes not racist. Give me one specific example where he was racist.

I've been looking and all I can find is extreme views, which is a no brainier, but no cause of silencing him completely and branding him anywhere near the leagues of a "Nazi". All i can put it down is that yes most people in the EDL were unintelligent and racist but that was the reason why he left