The Student Room Group

Best type of bag for sixth form?

I'm starting sixth form in September and I will be taking Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I have been looking around for (faux) leather tote bags that will be large enough to carry folders and books; I am unsure if backpacks would be better though.
A big one
Reply 2
If you can get a large tote bag you'll be fine. I actually prefer them over backpacks because it is easier to get your stuff in and out of them quickly.
I'd suggest a backpack, almost everyone in my sixth form wears them. You probably think totes are more stylish but all your books and folders would hurt your shoulder after a while.
Original post by Mystelle
I'd suggest a backpack, almost everyone in my sixth form wears them. You probably think totes are more stylish but all your books and folders would hurt your shoulder after a while.

I was considering getting a hype backpack since they're way cheaper than totes but I don't know how much stuff can fit in it.
Why on Earth would you want to carry a heavy handbag around, which probably won't fit all your stuff in anyway? Literally nobody took a handbag to my college, everyone took a backpack instead.

You're better off just getting a backpack; they're practical, have enough room for everything, and you can comfortably carry things around.

Seriously, don't prioritise style at college - it's what's in the bag that counts, not what the bag looks like.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kian Stevens
Why on Earth would you want to carry a heavy handbag around, which probably won't fit all your stuff in anyway? Literally nobody took a backpack to my college, everyone took a backpack instead.

You're better off just getting a backpack; they're practical, have enough room for everything, and you can easily and comfortably carry things around.

Seriously, don't prioritise style - it's what's in the bag that counts, not what the bag looks like.

please correct this post i thought i was having a stroke reading it
Original post by yolkie
please correct this post i thought i was having a stroke reading it

Sorry, I was quickly typing it.
Original post by StaleCereal
I was considering getting a hype backpack since they're way cheaper than totes but I don't know how much stuff can fit in it.

That's the one I used when I was at sixth form. It's light, durable and the size is perfect. You'll be able to fit plenty in. :smile:
the most important thing is to get something durable. you'll have folders for bio and chem, and they can get pretty heavy in my experience.

a backpack is also much better for you physically, as it'll give you an even weight distribution over both shoulders. remember - you'll be carrying this heavy bag on you 5 days a week for 2 years, so it will take its toll. getting a handbag/totebag has the risk of your posture becoming lopsided, which is pretty hard and expensive to fix later on in life.

anyway. something well-made and preferably a back pack, and LARGE. if it can't carry a slightly-larger-than-a4 sized folder in it, then it'll be useless and you'll end up carrying around a bag AND extra folders. saying this from experience.
Backpack!

Quick Reply

Latest