The Student Room Group

Starting a Course of Antibiotics for Acne

Hi,
I'm about to start a course of 100mg of Doxycycline (dispensable tablets) a day along with epiduo topical gel before bed. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the use of any of these? When is the best time to take the doxycycline and is there a purge period when using epiduo? If so, how long have people's purges lasted? How long have people seen their skin stay clear after stopping the antibiotics and continuing the topical treatment? Just wanted to get an idea of different people's experiences.
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

After a meal, antibiotics do.not work for me, because they did not combat the source.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I'm about to start a course of 100mg of Doxycycline (dispensable tablets) a day along with epiduo topical gel before bed. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the use of any of these? When is the best time to take the doxycycline and is there a purge period when using epiduo? If so, how long have people's purges lasted? How long have people seen their skin stay clear after stopping the antibiotics and continuing the topical treatment? Just wanted to get an idea of different people's experiences.
Thanks.

i am more experienced with both acne and acne treatment than probably anyone else in England and i can tell you you are wasting your time. throw away all of your antibiotics and creams and either a) go lassaiz-faire (works surprisingly well) b) the nuclear option: roaccutane
Reply 3
Which antibiotics did you try? Antibiotics like doxycycline are supposed to combat the source, they kill the bacteria that's clogging the pores (as well as the good bacteria). I may have misunderstood you though, what do you mean by not combatting the source? Have you found a solution for your acne yet?
Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
After a meal, antibiotics do.not work for me, because they did not combat the source.

Which antibiotics did you try? Antibiotics like doxycycline are supposed to combat the source, they kill the bacteria that's clogging the pores (as well as the good bacteria). I may have misunderstood you though, what do you mean by not combatting the source? Have you found a solution for your acne yet?
inb4 antibiotic-resistant monster acne bacteria have mutated and given people even worse teenage years.

The majority of the time it is excessive sebum (oil) that causes bacteria buildup. And only one drug fixes that, isotretinoin, you may not have an sebum issue, in which case I wish you luck.
Reply 7
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i am more experienced with both acne and acne treatment than probably anyone else in England and i can tell you you are wasting your time. throw away all of your antibiotics and creams and either a) go lassaiz-faire (works surprisingly well) b) the nuclear option: roaccutane

Experienced as in you've tried all the meds?? Lasseiz-fair isn't an option for me. Acne is literally dictating my life and I need it gone. My GP was going to refer me a derm so that I could get put on Accutane but I'm studying abroad for a year so was given these antibiotics as a short-term solution. I don't think it's fair to say throw the antibiotics and creams away as they've worked for a lot of people (even though they mostly only keep your skin clear for the duration you're on them).
Reply 8
The majority of the time it is excessive sebum (oil) that causes bacteria buildup. And only one drug fixes that, isotretinoin, you may not have an sebum issue, in which case I wish you luck.

Thanks, I'm only looking for a short term solution for now. My GP is going to refer me to a derm for Accutane once I'm back from my year-long study abroad. I might try taking doxy on an empty stomach as apparently it absorbs better. Have you ever tried antibiotics w/out food?
Thanks, I'm only looking for a short term solution for now. My GP is going to refer me to a derm for Accutane once I'm back from my year-long study abroad. I might try taking doxy on an empty stomach as apparently it absorbs better. Have you ever tried antibiotics w/out food?

With and without, no difference for me.
With and without, no difference for me.

Ahh okay, have you tried Accutane yourself then and you cleared your acne yet??
Ahh okay, have you tried Accutane yourself then and you cleared your acne yet??

Yes, clear and dry baby. Don't let them force 40mg down your throat though.
I’ve not got pills but i’ve used epiduo and it was literally the worst experience :frown: although it did clear up my spots (not fully ) my face burned like hell every time I put it on and in the sun it was even worse. It also made my skin so dry and I couldn’t put any makeup or anything on my face besides moisturiser in which it still burned to put that on. I had prom so came off it so my skin wasn’t dry for my makeup but it’s been like a month and I still haven’t gone back on because my skin isn’t that bad now and I can’t face the pain again!! Could be different for you though depending on your skin type - good luck I hope it works!!
Yes, clear and dry baby. Don't let them force 40mg down your throat though.

i think i told you this but i went with 60mg (body weight 60kg, so thats like an 80mg dose for most people!)

it was very tough but worth it in the end

antibiotics DO NOT WORK. tell you doctor he is is an idiot who is just contributing to the impending apocalypse of antibiotic resistance

you will find your acne 30-40% clears up _temporarily_ with antibiotics. a couple of weeks later you relapse as the bacteria become immune.
i think i told you this but i went with 60mg (body weight 60kg, so thats like an 80mg dose for most people!)

it was very tough but worth it in the end

Too much research has suggested 10mg does the same job, you are just on it longer, I was and bypassed the risks of side effects. But a lot of dermatologists will not listen and likely stick you on 40mg for starting, my dermatologist allowed my request and couldn't be happier.

100% agree with this. everything else does nothing.
Experienced as in you've tried all the meds?? Lasseiz-fair isn't an option for me. Acne is literally dictating my life and I need it gone. My GP was going to refer me a derm so that I could get put on Accutane but I'm studying abroad for a year so was given these antibiotics as a short-term solution. I don't think it's fair to say throw the antibiotics and creams away as they've worked for a lot of people (even though they mostly only keep your skin clear for the duration you're on them).

i had literally tried every.single.antibiotic. it was like my doctor was betting with his colleagues to see how many different antibiotics he could prescribe. trust me just try TRY going completely medication, cream and facewash free. before roaccutane i hadn't washed my face (except the occasional splash with water) for months on end and i actually didnt have such bad acne by hthen
Too much research has suggested 10mg does the same job, you are just on it longer, I was and bypassed the risks of side effects. But a lot of dermatologists will not listen and likely stick you on 40mg for starting, my dermatologist allowed my request and couldn't be happier.

10mg my have done the same job but personality-wise i couldn't accept that. sort of like the 'horrible grandma's medicine' myth, if i was going to go for roaccutane it had to be the full on experience!
10mg my have done the same job but personality-wise i couldn't accept that. sort of like the 'horrible grandma's medicine' myth, if i was going to go for roaccutane it had to be the full on experience!

That makes no sense, but whatever makes you happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending