The Student Room Group

Where Students who turn down Cambridge University end up

For 2017 entry, 96 applicants who received an offer from Cambridge turned own their place in favour of other universities in the UK.

The 5 most popular universities were:

Imperial College London (5 of which were for Imperial's Engineering courses)

University of Warwick (7 of which were for Warwick's Physical Sciences courses - most likely Maths)

University of Edinburgh (6 of which were for Edinburgh's Biological Sciences courses)

University of Bath (4 of which were for Bath's Biological Sciences courses)

Durham University (3 of which were for Durham's Arts & Humanities courses)

Source of data is here including breakdown of information on departments.

You can see similar data for the following universities by clicking on their links: LSE, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter with more universities (incl. Oxford) releasing their data later - will update this post accordingly when it arrives.

Surprised by any of the data?

Scroll to see replies

How is university of Oxford one, as you can’t apply to both in the same round?

Or is this data for Post grad as well where the rules may be different?
Why would anyone turn down Cambridge to go to Keele?
Original post by FloralHybrid

The 2 who turned down Cambridge in favour of Oxford did so under courses in their Clinical Medical School.

I imagine that the applicants may have been transfer applicants/mature students/2nd undergrad degree applicants or something else.
Reply 4
Really interesting data!
Reply 5

For Graduate Entry Medicine, you can apply for both Oxford and Cambridge.
Original post by akbar0123

maybe a US-style "full-board" scholarship from Keele?
perhaps they wanted to be nearer home or go to the same yoony as their partner ?

:dontknow:
Reply 8

Possibly an organ scholar.

Original post by NHSFan
For Graduate Entry Medicine, you can apply for both Oxford and Cambridge.

Ah ha! (But the above is true too.)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by C_Richards99
For 2017 entry, 96 applicants who received an offer from Cambridge turned own their place in favour of other universities in the UK.

The 5 most popular universities were:

Imperial College London (5 of which were for Imperial's Engineering courses)

University of Warwick (7 of which were for Warwick's Physical Sciences courses - most likely Maths)

University of Edinburgh (6 of which were for Edinburgh's Biological Sciences courses)

University of Bath (4 of which were for Bath's Biological Sciences courses)

Durham University (3 of which were for Durham's Arts & Humanities courses)

Source of data is here including breakdown of information on departments.

You can see similar data for the following universities by clicking on their links: LSE, St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh and Exeter with more universities (incl. Oxford) releasing their data later - will update this post accordingly when it arrives.

Nice data!

In context, there were 3,328 home applicants who had an Offer in 2017 - so 2.9% rejected Cambridge for a different UK university.
Hiya :wavey:

That was me actually. :colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya :wavey:

That was me actually. :colondollar:

so from a bit of stalking it appears you Rejected Cambridge for Durham with Keele as your insurance... didn't make the terms of your firm so you ended up at Keele :O
For the common institutions being preferred over Cambridge (in the context of this data and nothing else), most of their departments lie either in the sciences (biological, technology, physical), OR in the arts, humanities, social science bracket. Only University of Manchester from what I can see spans both.
As an interesting aside, I firmed my Cambridge offer for this year. My insurance is St Andrews. Except I genuinely prefer St A’s in terms of course and city.... 🤔

But I’d be very happy to go to either, so 😊
Original post by CollectiveSoul
so from a bit of stalking it appears you Rejected Cambridge for Durham with Keele as your insurance... didn't make the terms of your firm so you ended up at Keele :O
Excellent stalking work.:yy: And given my circumstances on results day, I'm very glad I didn't accept Cambridge's offer.:smile:

My signature has a link to the thread I made about me rejecting Cambridge. Ultimately the (single honours) course I applied for was different to the (joint honours) one I wanted to study. Which Cambridge had offered until 2017 entry.:frown:
Reply 15
Original post by C_Richards99

Initially surprised at the number of Warwick ones, but makes sense in retrospect: I suppose STEP makes for quite an intimidating offer. It's a pity we lose people that early.
Reply 16
Original post by 04MR17
Only University of Manchester from what I can see spans both.

Edinburgh?

Although I expect a fair number of those choosing Scottish universities may be Scottish and looking at the fees.
Original post by Doonesbury
Edinburgh?

Although I expect a fair number of those choosing Scottish universities may be Scottish and looking at the fees.
1 Edinburgh from the Arts and Humanities block, and 0 from the Hum&Social Science.

Edinburgh are spread across the science categories quite well but I'm looking at this as a more 50/50 arts/science than the 6ish and a half categories that make up Cambridge's School system.

And yes, I would imagine that'd be why Strathclyde features, amongst others.
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
1 Edinburgh from the Arts and Humanities block, and 0 from the Hum&Social Science.

Edinburgh are spread across the science categories quite well but I'm looking at this as a more 50/50 arts/science than the 6ish and a half categories that make up Cambridge's School system.

And yes, I would imagine that'd be why Strathclyde features, amongst others.

Ah I see! My mistake, I hadn't looked at the breakdown. I thought you were commenting on the universities themselves not the courses being "rejected". Doh!

:getmecoat:
Original post by sureofit
As an interesting aside, I firmed my Cambridge offer for this year. My insurance is St Andrews. Except I genuinely prefer St A’s in terms of course and city.... 🤔

But I’d be very happy to go to either, so 😊
Out of interest are the offer grades much different for you?:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending