The Student Room Group

(Hopefully Not) A Cat-Astrophic A-level Journey: GYG 2018-19

Hi! I’m Kei and I’m here with my 2nd GYG! :hi: It’s a new school year, which means new goals, new GYG, etc. And again, I’m here to ‘beat procrastination’ and ‘motivate myself’ but y’all know the truth: I’m here to snoop around and see what everyone is up to :ninja: So here I am again!!

To those of you who kept up with my last GYG, a huge huge huge THANK YOU is in order! :grouphugs: I don’t think I could have gotten through Year 12 without the huge support you guys gave me. To those of you who don’t know who I am, HERE is my previous GYG if you like reading out-of-date blog posts or just have some free time handy. It was very up-and-down last year and I took quite a few breaks off TSR as well so the posts are a bit out of whack with no real consistency. This year will probably be even worse emotionally and mentally (and physically, now that I think about it) so here’s to Year 13!

Note: I’ve put all these in spoilers so it doesn’t look so long :tongue: but it does anyway :colondollar:

The All-Important Academic History

Spoiler

Half-Hearted Aspirations

Spoiler

All the Subject Details

Spoiler

So yeah, this is my last year of school and it’s the big year! I know the rest of my life will depend on this year so I want to do my best!! So here’s to as little procrastination as possible this year! :cheers:
Wow! This is a very long first post that will only continue to get longer so in a (somewhat futile) attempt to shorten it, I’ve moved all my UCAS stuff and the Index to Post 2, which is just below this post. Anyways, happy reading!

Love you all :lovehug:
Kei
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Note: I’ve moved all this from the OP so I’ll stop editing it that much. For reference, this is where I tagged in everyone from my last GYG.

UCAS Application
Predicted grades: A*A*A*A
It was originally A*A*A*A* but I had asked for my Physics prediction to be lowered because I didn’t want the pressure associated with the A* prediction in Physics and about a week later, I was told it was still an A*, so I thought that they just kinda ignored me and didn’t change it but when I sent it off, I found out they actually did change it, which was very relieving, actually. :tongue: I did have to put up with the Head of Year 12 calling me a freak (albeit jokingly) and my friends’ jabs at my liberty to actually ask for a predicted grade to be lowered.

Date applied: 10/10/18

Cambridge (Peterhouse), Natural Sciences
Applied: 10/10/18
Acknowledged (+SAQ): 11/10/18
College Acknowledged: 11/10/18
COPA + SAQ Submitted: 17/10/18
Invitation to Interview: 23/11/18
Interview Date: 14/12/18
Rejection from pool via e-mail: 14/01/19
Rejection from pool via Track: 16/01/19

Durham (St Chad's College), Natural Sciences
Acknowledged: 15/10/18
Offer: 20/12/18 (AAA/A*AB in Maths, FM and Chemistry - includes offer to study Chemistry)
College Allocation: 12/02/19 (Van Mildert College)

Nottingham, Natural Sciences
Acknowledged: 11/10/18
Offer: 24/10/18 (A*AA in Chemistry, Physics and either Maths or FM)

York, Natural Sciences
Acknowledged: 11/10/18
Offer: 25/10/18 (either A*AA in Chemistry, Physics and Maths or AAAA in all 4 subjects)

St Andrews, Chemistry
Acknowledged: 10/10/18
Offer: 07/03/19 (AAA with A in Chemistry)

Firm: Durham
Insurance: St Andrews

Index of Posts
Had this in my last GYG and I figured because there’s like 20-30 posts between updates, I can save you the trouble by putting these all into one place. :wink: I’ll update this roughly every month (hopefully) so the more recent updates might not be here.

The list of posts

(edited 4 years ago)
Tag me!
Reply 3
Original post by FuryBall
Tag me!

Okay :thumbsup:
How's your summer coming along?
Tag me!
How's your summer going?:biggrin:
Good luck, though I'm sure you're going to do amazing regardless! :h: (oh yeah, and tag pls :biggrin:)
(edited 5 years ago)
Good but pretty busy studying for SATs!

Btw how did you prepare for the math 2 topics that aren’t covered on the AS maths specification? Do you now understand them well enough at A2 level now? (E.g functions and some things about trigonometry like sec)
Long time no see!:hugs:
I’ll join the tag list pleaseeeeee:wink:
Watching, tag me please :smile:
We love to Taggy
We love to Taggy
Jitterbug Taggy!
High School Taggy
We love to Taggy,
On a Saturday night.
:party2:
hey city sister!! long time no talk - mostly due to the fact that i haven't been on here for months oooops my blog kinda died out :/
tag me please! i want to stay completely up to date this year!
keep me tagged! i’m so excited :biggrin: (and gotta start writing my first post soon?!)

i’ll probably also do that tag list thing and update it :yep:

i never actually realised you want to do natural sciences! it’s something i’ve been warming to recently in addition to medicine - please educate me on the course throughout your gyg :laugh:
hiya, feel free to tag me when you get the chance:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by FloralPrints
Tag me!
How's your summer going?:biggrin:

Will do :yes:
It's too hot to do too much and honestly, it's been very lazy. What about your summer?

Original post by urlocalethnic
Good luck, though I'm sure you're going to do amazing regardless! :h: (oh yeah, and tag pls :biggrin:)

Thank you!
Will do!

Good but pretty busy studying for SATs!

Btw how did you prepare for the math 2 topics that aren’t covered on the AS maths specification? Do you now understand them well enough at A2 level now? (E.g functions and some things about trigonometry like sec)

Erk.. good luck with that. I'm assuming you're doing the Subject Tests as well. Math 2 wasn't actually as difficult as I thought it would be. I literally got a revision guide for it, worked through the guide and was fine. In fact, it was only the trig/logic stuff that I had trouble with. As for the A2 stuff, I haven't really covered it yet, but I would say that it's probably going to be harder than the SAT stuff.
Are you doing any other ones?

Original post by Toastiekid
Long time no see!:hugs:
I’ll join the tag list pleaseeeeee:wink:

:hi: :hugs:
Okie :yes: How are you doing?

Original post by MaizieAmyr
Watching, tag me please :smile:

Okie :thumbsup:

Original post by 04MR17
We love to Taggy
We love to Taggy
Jitterbug Taggy!
High School Taggy
We love to Taggy,
On a Saturday night.
:party2:

:rofl:
Okie. Will add you to the Taggy List of Taggedy Lovelies. :yep:

Original post by stalkingsilence
hey city sister!! long time no talk - mostly due to the fact that i haven't been on here for months oooops my blog kinda died out :/
tag me please! i want to stay completely up to date this year!

Yeah.. Mine has kinda almost ended and honestly, I haven't been on TSR much this summer :tongue:
Will add you to the tag list :yes: Are you making a GYG this year as well?

Original post by SomMC1
Good luck, Kei! Looking forward to read your gyg. Tag me please:tongue:

Thank you!! :hugs: Consider yourself a member of the tag list :yes:

Original post by clouddbubbles
keep me tagged! i’m so excited :biggrin: (and gotta start writing my first post soon?!)

i’ll probably also do that tag list thing and update it :yep:

i never actually realised you want to do natural sciences! it’s something i’ve been warming to recently in addition to medicine - please educate me on the course throughout your gyg :laugh:

Will tag you. Ahh please make sure you add me to your tag list thing when you finish writing your first post.
Yeah, I didn't even realise NatSci was a thing until the middle of Year 12 :colondollar: I'm not too sure I'll be able to educate you on the course but I'll try my best :biggrin:

Original post by CinnamonSmol
hiya, feel free to tag me when you get the chance:biggrin:

Okay. Will do :yep:
Yup I’m doing physics too. You applying to the US?
Also, what was the revision guide called?

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Yup I’m doing physics too. You applying to the US?

Oh same :five:
No I'm not applying to the US :tongue: I'm applying to Singapore but 'without my results' so they need me to do all the same sort of standardised testing that you would need for the USA. It's because students in Singapore generally apply to uni after they've gotten their results, which is just kinda annoying :sigh:
Original post by nyxnko_
Oh same :five:
No, I'm not applying to the US :tongue:

Ahh. When are you taking the physics test? I'm taking it in November (pretty late!). From what I've seen by looking at a textbook for physics SAT, it has a lot of content e.g. relativity, which isn't covered in A-level or GCSE. I'm not sure how difficult it is though! How was chemistry?

Also, I don't think you saw my edit in the previous comment, but what was the revision guide you used to for math 2?

Cheers
Reply 17
Ahh. When are you taking the physics test? I'm taking it in November (pretty late!). From what I've seen by looking at a textbook for physics SAT, it has a lot of content e.g. relativity, which isn't covered in A-level or GCSE. I'm not sure how difficult it is though! How was chemistry?

Also, I don't think you saw my edit in the previous comment, but what was the revision guide you used to for math 2?

Cheers

I don't know. Maybe October, if they have a session then. Yeah, the Physics SAT was apparently 'horrible' (quote my friend who did it about a month earlier than me and who refused to tell me her score because of how horrible it was)
Chemistry was actually decent :yes: A lot of it was just memorisation and dare I say it, guesswork :tongue: But funnily enough, I did better on my Chemistry SAT than my Math SAT :tongue:
No, I didn't see it. :facepalm: I used the one by Kaplan but I've heard that the Barrons (?) one is pretty good as well :yes:
Hope this helps.
I'll hang on the tag list

I feel guilty reading this because I've not been productive at all lmao, I've just been playing video games and consuming energy drinks (Though that was what I was doing during school too :rofl:)
Original post by nyxnko_
I don't know. Maybe October, if they have a session then. Yeah, the Physics SAT was apparently 'horrible' (quote my friend who did it about a month earlier than me and who refused to tell me her score because of how horrible it was)
Chemistry was actually decent :yes: A lot of it was just memorisation and dare I say it, guesswork :tongue: But funnily enough, I did better on my Chemistry SAT than my Math SAT :tongue:
No, I didn't see it. :facepalm: I used the one by Kaplan but I've heard that the Barrons (?) one is pretty good as well :yes:
Hope this helps.

Alright, cool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending