The Student Room Group

what university and course is most appealing to f1 recruiters?

hey im currently studying my a levels in maths,physics, and art. I want to go into a f1 engineering team in the future but im confused as to what is the right path to take to get there. ive done alot of research as to what the best course would be, the traditional mechanical engineering degree or the niche motorsport degree, but i can't seem to come to a firm conclusion as to what would be best i only really like cars and i'm afraid i might loose interest in the mechanical degree , but then my teachers and most the internet recommends the traditional route!!! also in regards to the uni, which would be best for motorsport engineering ive narrowed it down to brookes, coventry ,cranfield and loughborough (automotive), after reading old forums brookes seems to be a popular but now that coventry's in the equation im confused because it ranks highly in terms of their whole mechanical engineering department.
note- i know it's very hard getting into f1 straight after graduating, if not impossible! I'm not being naive into thinking i'll get in by choosing the correct course or uni, but a bit of guidance as to what is the most sought after course and uni in this field would give me a good base to work on so i know i'm on the right lines.

any help is appreciated thank you!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by R_H
hey im currently studying my a levels in maths,physics, and art. I want to go into a f1 engineering team in the future but im confused as to what is the right path to take to get there. ive done alot of research as to what the best course would be, the traditional mechanical engineering degree or the niche motorsport degree, but i can't seem to come to a firm conclusion as to what would be best i only really like cars and i'm afraid i might loose interest in the mechanical degree , but then my teachers and most the internet recommends the traditional route!!! also in regards to the uni, which would be best for motorsport engineering ive narrowed it down to brookes, coventry ,cranfield and loughborough (automotive), after reading old forums brookes seems to be a popular but now that coventry's in the equation im confused because it ranks highly in terms of their whole mechanical engineering department.
note- i know it's very hard getting into f1 straight after graduating, if not impossible! I'm not being naive into thinking i'll get in by choosing the correct course or uni, but a bit of guidance as to what is the most sought after course and uni in this field would give me a good base to work on so i know i'm on the right lines.

Contact some F1 teams and ask them.

You can also see prior universities and degree courses for company employees on LinkedIn (although, being an American site, they call them "schools").

Of course, the engineering universities geographically closest to the F1 team tend to be well represented, which doesn't preclude you from applying via other universities obviously.

Edit: Cranfield is a postgraduate university only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The path that you want to follow depends more on your interests, do you want to work designing parts or structure? Do you prefer to work with the electronic parts of a car? Mechanical engineering is good for designing, you will end up doing FEM or CFD to design structures. If you are interested in the electronic components and bare in my mind that there is a big importance of electronics nowadays, you might want to consider mechatronics. Can't help you much with a uni since I don't know them very well, but wherever you go make sure the university has a formula student team. That's a great way of having experience in the field.
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Contact some F1 teams and ask them.

You can also see prior universities and degree courses for company employees on LinkedIn (although, being an American site, they call them "schools").

Of course, the engineering universities geographically closest to the F1 team tend to be well represented, which doesn't preclude you from applying via other universities obviously.

Edit: Cranfield is a postgraduate university only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive just made a LinkedIn account but it won’t let me view employees of f1 teams, something to do with connections i don’t really know how it all works.
So Generally I should be looking at university’s which are a common go to by employers?
Reply 4
Original post by Adridk
The path that you want to follow depends more on your interests, do you want to work designing parts or structure? Do you prefer to work with the electronic parts of a car? Mechanical engineering is good for designing, you will end up doing FEM or CFD to design structures. If you are interested in the electronic components and bare in my mind that there is a big importance of electronics nowadays, you might want to consider mechatronics. Can't help you much with a uni since I don't know them very well, but wherever you go make sure the university has a formula student team. That's a great way of having experience in the field.

Main interests would be in designing/engineering the engine /body work. And yes all the unis I’ve looked into have a formula student team, that said not all as good as each other. What I’m struggling to find is the uni with the best connections to the motorsports industry. Any recommendations?
Reply 5
Original post by R_H
Ive just made a LinkedIn account but it won’t let me view employees of f1 teams, something to do with connections i don’t really know how it all works.
So Generally I should be looking at university’s which are a common go to by employers?

Try calling a couple of F1 teams and asking. The HR team should give you some tips.

But do your research first into what you actually want to do...
http://careers.mercedesamgf1.com/
https://redbullracing.redbull.com/careers
etc
etc
Reply 6
Then mechanical engineering is a good choice of field. It deals with the all of the design since it covers mechanics, mechanics of materials, material science, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics. Be aware that in the beginning it will seem a bit slow and only considers fixed structures, many people loose motivation because of this, so it's up to you to think if you will loose motivation.
I can't really advise about a university on the UK since I studied in Denmark. But I had friend that was involved in formula student that got offered a position in a formula 1 company, this was because of his work as a manager in the formula student team. I hope this helped.
Original post by R_H

Hi!

Nice to know that you have a solid idea of what you want to do at degree-level! Motorsport is a course which is recieves one of the highest students applications in Cranfield due to Cranfield's hands-on approach and connection to F1 companies.

MSc Advanced Motorsport Engineering (already full for 2018)
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/advanced-motorsport-engineering

MSc Automotive Mechatronics
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/automotive-mechatronics

However, Cranfield is a postgraduate university. You are welcome to visit Cranfield at any time and, of course, when you are nearing completing your undergrad degree, apply for an MSc at Cranfield.

All the best in your current A-Level Studies :smile:

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi!

Nice to know that you have a solid idea of what you want to do at degree-level! Motorsport is a course which is recieves one of the highest students applications in Cranfield due to Cranfield's hands-on approach and connection to F1 companies.

MSc Advanced Motorsport Engineering (already full for 2018)
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/advanced-motorsport-engineering

MSc Automotive Mechatronics
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/automotive-mechatronics

However, Cranfield is a postgraduate university. You are welcome to visit Cranfield at any time and, of course, when you are nearing completing your undergrad degree, apply for an MSc at Cranfield.

All the best in your current A-Level Studies :smile:

Kind Regards,
Cranfield TSR Rep :smile:

Hi!
Thankyou for the information, yes cranfield will definitely be on my list after completing a degree elsewear. I’ve read so much good reviews on your hands on approach and being located close to f1 companies. I’ll pay a visit soon.
Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by R_H
Hi!
Thankyou for the information, yes cranfield will definitely be on my list after completing a degree elsewear. I’ve read so much good reviews on your hands on approach and being located close to f1 companies. I’ll pay a visit soon.
Thanks

Just be aware that many engineering students complete their MEng (the 4 year, or 5 if you include a sandwich year) at the same university. To do a seperate MSc you would need to graduate with a BEng (or BSc) instead.

Also there are student funding differences and a postgraduate loan for a standalone MSc may not be as a generous as the normal tuition fee loan (with maintenance) for the MEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R_H

Hi R_H!

Have you ever considered studying in Edinburgh? A number of recent graduates from our Mechanical Engineering programmes have gone straight to teams such as Mercedes and McLaren!

Our notable alumni include Jock Clear who got his degree from us back in 1987, and look at him now! :wink:

All the best,
David (PhD in Electrical Engineering)
Reply 11
Original post by Heriot-Watt University - Student Rep
Hi R_H!

Have you ever considered studying in Edinburgh? A number of recent graduates from our Mechanical Engineering programmes have gone straight to teams such as Mercedes and McLaren!

Our notable alumni include Jock Clear who got his degree from us back in 1987, and look at him now! :wink:

All the best,
David (PhD in Electrical Engineering)

Hi David!
oh wow, I actually havnt considered Edinburgh at all!! it didn’t come up in any of my searches maybe because they don’t include Scotland in their research I’m guessing, probably a bad guess! Anyway that’s very eye opening and I’m definitely going to do some research of my own into their departments and maybe pop down for an open day aswell, having said that it I’m from Manchester and it is some distance, making it a definite choice will be carefully considered.
Thanks for the info !

Quick Reply

Latest