The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
Genuinely?

The closest league/non league club to where you were born happens to be Manchester United?

What's your second nearest?

Its not that hard to believe. My closest is Aston Villa. League or non league. Second closest is West Brom I think.
Original post by BusinessExpert
x

Is that not an issue in the whole Premier League that the true and enthusiastic fans are replacing by events ones what already caused the death of tradtition and authenticity? can understand you. It is this isolation between football clubs and their fans what ruins the football as sport in my opinion.
Original post by Quady
Genuinely?

The closest league/non league club to where you were born happens to be Manchester United?

What's your second nearest?

The second nearest is the one I play for... the most local PROFESSIONAL club to me is Manchester United. I live in MANCHESTER.
Reply 63
Original post by Wilfred Little
Its not that hard to believe. My closest is Aston Villa. League or non league. Second closest is West Brom I think.

Geography says Sporting Sandwell FC is at least second closest if not closest......

No?
Reply 64
The second nearest is the one I play for... the most local PROFESSIONAL club to me is Manchester United. I live in MANCHESTER.

I hate people who support professional clubs over their local team.
Original post by Quady
Geography says Sporting Sandwell FC is at least second closest if not closest......

No?

Its definitely not the closest. I live within walking distance of Villa Park. By the greyhound stadium if you know it. Never even heard of Sporting Sandwell tbh.
Bro people like you are embarrassing, dont associate yourself with the football fan community. We're all about roasting each others clubs, roasting our own club while supporting it to death and just general fun and good vibes, we aint got time for your negative energy.

Most people choose clubs based on where they live or which ever team they found appealing when they were young, it really isnt that deep and you have no more right to dictate how someone must talk about your club than anyone else.

Pogba is utter shite, Mourinho has killed Utd's style of play and you are dead boring to watch and Trashford has no hope. Also Fred will be a failed signing and its sad to see such a talent go to waste/
Original post by Quady
I hate people who support professional clubs over their local team.

Old Trafford is a matter of minutes away from where I live. I don’t even need to drive there.

Another thing I forgot to mention: why do I see loads of coaches outside Arnold Clark near Old Trafford carrying fans from Cardiff? Ridiculous.
Reply 68
Its definitely not the closest. I live within walking distance of Villa Park. By the greyhound stadium if you know it. Never even heard of Sporting Sandwell tbh.

Basically equidistant then.

As the crow flies, Sporting Sandwell is closer from the Perry Barr stadium than Villa is, but not much in it.
Reply 69
Old Trafford is a matter of minutes away from where I live. I don’t even need to drive there.

Another thing I forgot to mention: why do I see loads of coaches outside Arnold Clark near Old Trafford carrying fans from Cardiff? Ridiculous.

I don't need to drive to Queens Park either, but Pollok is still closer.

Man U have won stuff. It's why folk from other continents follow them. The only time a coach comes to Hampden from Cardiff it's when Scotland are playing. Never see one at Pollok.
My local team is Manchester United. The atmosphere is utterly terrible and on a regular basis the ground is full of fans whose dreams are a reality; they're finally at Old Trafford! Plastic fans are travelling to Manchester, messing up the club's culture, with their phones out and they show no passion whatsoever. No one chants anymore. That’s why everyone says away games are better because they are! Our atmosphere is really embarrassing and it is starting to show on the pitch. Mourinho has pointed it out more than once.

Who actually lives in Manchester and attends games regularly? I think anyone outside of our city should be banned from following the club; maybe supporting a local team might be more entertaining. I am sick to death of Brummies, Londoners etc. whining about everything wrong with United.

Moreover, these scumbags can't even play football to a decent level. I mean, why would you follow a sport if you cannot even play it - with the exception of disabled fans, though, because the team is most likely in their blood owing to the ongoing support of their family over the years.

I mean there isn't a valid reason to be a glory hunting, lifeless fan! People explain how their family are from that particular area, which I suppose is acceptable. Adam McKola (FullTimeDevils), for example, should be supporting West Brom - he lived literally next to the ground at one point!

United isn't the only team in Manchester, there is Oldham, Rochdale, FC United, Salford, Bury, Curzon Ashton if u don't like going to United you have plenty of options
Original post by Quady
Basically equidistant then.

As the crow flies, Sporting Sandwell is closer from the Perry Barr stadium than Villa is, but not much in it.

Villa is definitely closer to my house. But even if it wasn't, SSFC were only formed in 2007 and you don't change your team.
Original post by stephanetene
United isn't the only team in Manchester, there is Oldham, Rochdale, FC United, Salford, Bury, Curzon Ashton if u don't like going to United you have plenty of options

I don’t live in immigrant areas such as Oldham and Rochdale though do I? Anyway, pretty much everyone in Rochdale, Oldham etc. supports MUFC.

By the way, Old Trafford is rough and a lot of Asians live (but weren’t born) there. The houses aren’t worth much and the crime rate is high. Now, that is dangerously local to the club!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 73
Villa is definitely closer to my house. But even if it wasn't, SSFC were only formed in 2007 and you don't change your team.

Didn't realise you were over 15.
Original post by Quady
Didn't realise you were over 15.

:laugh:

Just got rekt tbh.
IMO that’s complete nonsense. I don’t live in Manchester yet I regularly go to games. Also have a friend who supports City who lives in London but travels to every single game paying over £100 in travel each week. Do you think that 4 year old me was thinking of location when I chose to support United?
I don’t live in immigrant areas such as Oldham and Rochdale though do I? Anyway, pretty much everyone in Rochdale, Oldham etc. supports MUFC.

By the way, Old Trafford is rough and a lot of Asians live (but weren’t born) there. The houses aren’t worth much and the crime rate is high. Now, that is dangerously local to the club!

But you're moaning about how you hate the poor atmosphere etc at Old Trafford and blaming it on the fact people from all over visit Old Trafford, if everyone only supported their local club then football wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is in the modern day, supporting a football club has much more to do than where you were born/live, and much more to do with personal preference
Original post by Mufc18391
IMO that’s complete nonsense. I don’t live in Manchester yet I regularly go to games. Also have a friend who supports City who lives in London but travels to every single game paying over £100 in travel each week. Do you think that 4 year old me was thinking of location when I chose to support United?

Right, I’ll let you off. Just please chant for the Leicester game if you’re going.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stephanetene
But you're moaning about how you hate the poor atmosphere etc at Old Trafford and blaming it on the fact people from all over visit Old Trafford, if everyone only supported their local club then football wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is in the modern day, supporting a football club has much more to do than where you were born/live, and much more to do with personal preference

Well, those in suits can do one as well.

The background of fans is only one of the many factors.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well, those in suits can do one as well.

The background of fans is only one of the many factors.

I'm from a working class background in North Manchester but say I go on to have a successful career and just happen to wear a suit does that mean my background is no longer suitable to watch football inside a stadium?

Latest