The Student Room Group

Plovdiv 2019 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rarajaja0
It was pretty much all repeat content and repeat questions, if you do them all once you will pass very convincingly. I rememeber only revising 2 hours the day before and i still got into the top half

But again i dont know they might have changed it this year due to increased competition. Don't take no risks, spend a few days on it. Even if you only needed a few hours, you'll have bragging rights for being super high in the publicly ranked list :wink:

Also, might I ask what you got for A Level as I think the raking is based off those grades too :smile:
Original post by YungChicken
Hello, I'm not sure if you are aware of this Doctor called "Dr. Buck Parker" on youtube. He was an international medical graduate (but an american citizen) and he explains in many of his videos the route to take to secure a residency and eventually a job in the US, they might help you.

Haven't heard of him but will check him out :smile:. Also I think I should achieve AB, I already have an B grade in A level maths and A* in computing. First time doing chemistry and biology but hopefully I should get in :smile:.
Reply 42
Original post by CharliesUK
My only concern is the ranking. I'm planning to move back to the USA after and plovdiv and pleven are ranked near the 8000 worldwide. My cousin who graduated A few years ago only recently found a job because there are just so many exams when you move back and the position of the university plays a large roll. *Medical school in America is very expensive so that is why I believe you need to get certain licences and some exams.

I dont see an issue aslong as you pass the USMLE convincingly
Reply 43
Original post by YungChicken
Thank you for replying rapidly. Yea, the test has changed tbh, we have a 20 mark essay question at the end, doesn't seem too difficult but still requires preparation. Hahaa, definitely don't wanna be down the bottom of the list.

No you deffo don't. You'll find yourself and others browsing through the list to see where your friends and foes lie on it 😂😏
Reply 44
Original post by CharliesUK
Haven't heard of him but will check him out :smile:. Also I think I should achieve AB, I already have an B grade in A level maths and A* in computing. First time doing chemistry and biology but hopefully I should get in :smile:.

Take into consideration though that bio and chem are the main ones they look at. The third subject isnt really all that important.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Oh wow lol
No pressure

Thank you lmao, I see they're going down the AQA Biology essay route slowly with these tests.
Reply 46
Where do you wish to work in the future? Do you want to return to the UK or move to another country?

Right now i'm planning on getting back to the UK; hopefully smash the UKMLA.

But i might consider doing the USMLE cource from 3rd year, not only if i want to move to a western country other than the UK, but the GMC rates it when you have a pass in the USMLE under your belt, because it shows them you have enough knowledge for other countries that are notoriously hard to get licencing for (like the US) , thus putting down any creeping suspicions surrounding a degree from Bulgaria.

Only problem is the cource is expensive affffff... and possibly unnecessary cos the UKLMA is the main ting
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 47
Yeah it's too expensive to sit the USMLE, would be good to have under the belt though.
How have you found first year anyway? I found it alright except the last month where it got intense.

The cource can be easy or insanely difficult depending on how good you are at raw memory retention. Ive found it eh. Last couple weeks before exams have been killer though, i made the common mistake of leaving everything too late, probably because i was riding high on my ego after passing med physics in jan/feb by cramming... But the sheer number of exams got me this summer. Hopefully I'll pass the resits i have next week and I'll be good to go.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 48
Hey have you sat the exam already? If you have, did they repeat any papers?
Reply 49
Original post by Xxxtsx
Hey have you sat the exam already? If you have, did they repeat any papers?

which exam? we have like 7 subject exams in first year...
Reply 50
which exam? we have like 7 subject exams in first year...

Did you get an A* in RS? Also, is your plan to go back to U.K. after graduating?
Reply 51
Original post by Black Water
Did you get an A* in RS? Also, is your plan to go back to U.K. after graduating?

I did... but for my unfortunate soul they don't care too much about the 3rd subject :colondollar:, they stress biology and chemistry.

And yes i do, the UKMLA should play in our favour. So hoping for the best.

What about yourself, are you a student here or interested in plovdiv?
Reply 52
I did... but for my unfortunate soul they don't care too much about the 3rd subject :colondollar:, they stress biology and chemistry.

And yes i do, the UKMLA should play in our favour. So hoping for the best.

What about yourself, are you a student here or interested in plovdiv?

Oh right. Of course, they’d care more about the other two but that doesn’t matter now for you since you’re in.

Won’t it be harder for overseas students after since the curriculum is different and the fact that it’s hard to get into specialty training programmes. What do you think about this? Also, God knows what’s happening with Brexit as well and how it will affect students.

I’m thinking about it, but not sure if it’s worth it since the competition is already high in general and it’s hard to come back here to practice.
Reply 53
Did you do A-Levels then go to Czech medical school?
Reply 54
Agreed. Building a strong and almost persistent relationship with companies or individuals who can help you is vital in cases of studying abroad. It's necessary imo to have a support network in the rare occasion things go hay wire
Reply 55
Oh right. How much does it cost to live there? Also how much is the tuition fees?
Reply 56
Hmh... there sure does seem to be alittle bit of tutelage bias from this guy 🤔... as i mentioned before they havnt been outstanding in customer service by any means ( ie forgetting to apostolise A2 results), but then again they havnt been terrible... i guess how helpful they are will be revealed in due time when complications arise.
What are the entry requirements for a level.. I know someone who got in with DDD. Are the students mostly from the 🇬🇧?
Reply 58
Original post by Boss987
What are the entry requirements for a level.. I know someone who got in with DDD. Are the students mostly from the 🇬🇧?

Short answer: BB (bio/chem) and an okay 3rd subject
Long answer: depends on the competition of the year, number of applicants, agency aid etc... this year there are some students with Ds probably due to the most latter of the 3 reasons i listed even though uni policy is the short answer, but because of plovdivs increasing popularity and applicants, being let off this year and in future years will be much more difficult than previous years (like mine 2017)

Also bear in mind that the clinical years of plovdiv mu are just as hard, if not harder than UK med schools... so if someone gets in with DDD, their chances of failing a few years in and wasting their time and tens of thousands of pounds is a sad but very real prospect.
(edited 5 years ago)
Short answer: BB (bio/chem) and an okay 3rd subject
Long answer: depends on the competition of the year, number of applicants, agency aid etc... this year there are students with Ds probably due to the most latter of the 3 reasons i listed even though uni policy is the short answer, but due to plovdivs increasing popularity and applicants, being let off will be much more difficult than previous years.

Also bear in mind that the clinical years of plovdiv mu are just as hard, if not harder than UK med schools... so if someone gets in with DDD, their chances of failing a few years in and wasting their time and tens of thousands of pounds is a sad but very real prospect.

Yeah. I think it depends on the uni. It might not be true but I heard someone got in with 3U's. Don't think it was plovdiv. I was going to come plovdiv but couldn't leave family so I settled for Kings college biomedicine. Some people also look down on bulgarian/ Czech Republic medical schools which also put me off. Good luck on ur journey 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending