The Student Room Group

Couldn't buy condoms from costcutter because i'm not 18.. is this a thing?

My town really doesn't have many places to buy condoms, with costcutter being one of the few places open in the evening on a sunday. It's going to be the first time with my girlfriend and I'm 16. So I decided to buy some from costcutter, only to be asked how old I am? I said I'm 16 and I was told I can't buy them unless I'm 18. So I kind of argued and said how anyone of any age can buy them and the age of consent is 16? But I was still told it's 18 to buy them. Is this a thing everywhere or am I just unlucky having this happen the first place i try? How else can I get condoms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
so i went to costcutters to buy condoms and i got told i have to be 18 to buy them. i argued that anyone can buy condoms and that the age of consent is 16 but i just got told it's 18? is this a thing and will they say that everywhere? it's going to be the first time with my girlfriend and we have no idea where to get condoms.. well at least on a sunday evening.. where can i buy condoms and do i really have to be 18?
That doesn’t sound right. Maybe the person selling them got their facts wrong or something. Might be worth making a complaint. I’d suggest going in on another day and trying again. If they tell you you can’t buy them, inform them that they’re incorrect and that there is no age limit on buying condoms.

Otherwise I believe you may be able to get condoms for free from a sexual health clinic, or you may just have to venture out and try a supermarket.
Original post by Anonymous
My town really doesn't have many places to buy condoms, with costcutter being one of the few places open in the evening on a sunday. It's going to be the first time with my girlfriend and I'm 16. So I decided to buy some from costcutter, only to be asked how old I am? I said I'm 16 and I was told I can't buy them unless I'm 18. So I kind of argued and said how anyone of any age can buy them and the age of consent is 16? But I was still told it's 18 to buy them. Is this a thing everywhere or am I just unlucky having this happen the first place i try? How else can I get condoms?

Nah, this isn't a real law, you can be any age to buy them.

Have you tried the men's washrooms as they usually have those little condom dispensing machines?
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
That doesn’t sound right. Maybe the person selling them got their facts wrong or something. Might be worth making a complaint. I’d suggest going in on another day and trying again. If they tell you you can’t buy them, inform them that they’re incorrect and that there is no age limit on buying condoms.

Otherwise I believe you may be able to get condoms for free from a sexual health clinic, or you may just have to venture out and try a supermarket.

Have you tried your local gp practise as most have a sexual health clinic within them and give out free condoms
so i went to costcutters to buy condoms and i got told i have to be 18 to buy them. i argued that anyone can buy condoms and that the age of consent is 16 but i just got told it's 18? is this a thing and will they say that everywhere? it's going to be the first time with my girlfriend and we have no idea where to get condoms.. well at least on a sunday evening.. where can i buy condoms and do i really have to be 18?

you can get free ones online from local council schemes or in some pharmacies example.. if you want specific one's best bet is to just order on amazon or lovehoney.
Reply 6

I thought it was 16 as well 😂
I’m not Gona lie pal but I’ve never used a condom I had sex without it so I suggest you do the same and pull out just as I did 👍
Btw I’m 16 too if it helps 😂
Your GP should be able to give you some for free. Or you can go to a gum clinic.

Like what others have said, condoms can be sold to people under 18. But I guess the individual merchant can choose to refuse services to anyone based only on age.
Original post by Kev lad
I’m not Gona lie pal but I’ve never used a condom I had sex without it so I suggest you do the same and pull out just as I did 👍

DO NOT do this ^ this is irresponsible and there is still a chance of pregnancy.

Petrol stations have them that late at night plus 24 hour supermarkets such as Tesco.

As its now daytime pop down any chemist or supermarket. If you have a local family planning unit they offer free condoms. I dont believe they are an age restricted product, more like a disapproving cashier at costco.
Original post by Kev lad

Dude, condom's don't just prevent pregnancy, they prevent STDs
Original post by Capitalist_Lamb
Dude, condom's don't just prevent pregnancy, they prevent STDs

Ye ik that but it was her first time too so it’ll be reet and I pulled out and she isn’t pregnant or else I would have a child coming 😂
Original post by MadamePompadour
DO NOT do this ^ this is irresponsible and there is still a chance of pregnancy.

Petrol stations have them that late at night plus 24 hour supermarkets such as Tesco.

As its now daytime pop down any chemist or supermarket. If you have a local family planning unit they offer free condoms. I dont believe they are an age restricted product, more like a disapproving cashier at costco.

If he pulls out at the right time he will be ok ... it’s not like I’m saying *** inside her 😂🤦*♂️
You can apply for a C card which you can get free lube and doms from the age of 13
(edited 5 years ago)

Fairly sure you can get them for free on the NHS
I have never heard of there being an age restriction in condoms. TBH i never really had to buy under the age of 19.
Reply 15
print this page out that says you can buy condoms at any age. i'm new to the UK but i'm assuming the NHS is correct.
Original post by Kev lad
If he pulls out at the right time he will be ok ... it’s not like I’m saying *** inside her 😂🤦*♂️

Not true. The orgasm is when the main load of sperm comes out but some can come out before so... pulling just doesn’t work.
Not true. The orgasm is when the main load of sperm comes out but some can come out before so... pulling just doesn’t work.

You idiot 🤦* before you orgasm and sperm comes out everywhere you pull out omg 😂
And the fact you defined orgasm makes you sound a like a m0ng oh dear everyone knows what an orgasm is genius you don’t have to act smart ~ EVERYONE KNOWS. When I say pull out I mean when your about to *** you pull out so you don’t *** inside her... the fact I have to explain what “pull out” means concerns me 🤦😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kev lad

It only takes one sperm to make contact with the vagina for someone to risk making someone else pregnant. There's prec*m, the chance that he misses and gets some around the external vaginal area, or even that he ejaculates earluer than he expects. There is so much that can go wrong and I'd rather wrap it and not take the risk than potentially be a father at 16. It just isn't worth it.
Original post by Kev lad

Girls can pass on STDs aswell mate. It's not just when you plant the seed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending