The Student Room Group

Do you think being pretty only with makeup on is deceiving?

I'm pretty when I hide my dark circles, conceal imperfections on my face (i.e. darker areas) and wear mascara, but you wouldn't think I'm pretty if I didn't do these things. I literally look ill with my real dark eye circles. I have kinda dull skin, too. Not fresh-faced.

Concealer, mascara and a bit of powder is literally all I use yet it makes such a big difference. So, do you think I'm being deceiving by wearing makeup and letting people think I'm pretty?

I mean, I'm kinda worried about my future in terms of relationships. A future guy I meet would probably think I'm pretty but what about if we get married, and live in the same house? He'll just be like 'wow, she looks so different without makeup'... which is one reason I don't really wanted to get married (but still kinda do). I don't know, I just feel like I would be lying to any possible future guy that I meet (I've never been in a relationship before, btw) and so any possible relationship wouldn't feel fulfilling/fully real/free from the get-go, if I'm making any sense?

Thanks for any comments.

Scroll to see replies

Of course, makeup can be deceiving. But you just have to acknowledge that or otherwise wear less makeup if u want to find a true lifelong partner.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm pretty when I hide my dark circles, conceal imperfections on my face (i.e. darker areas) and wear mascara, but you wouldn't think I'm pretty if I didn't do these things. I literally look ill with my real dark eye circles. I have kinda dull skin, too. Not fresh-faced.

Concealer, mascara and a bit of powder is literally all I use yet it makes such a big difference. So, do you think I'm being deceiving by wearing makeup and letting people think I'm pretty?

I mean, I'm kinda worried about my future in terms of relationships. A future guy I meet would probably think I'm pretty but what about if we get married, and live in the same house? He'll just be like 'wow, she looks so different without makeup'... which is one reason I don't really wanted to get married (but still kinda do). I don't know, I just feel like I would be lying to any possible future guy that I meet (I've never been in a relationship before, btw) and so any possible relationship wouldn't feel fulfilling/fully real/free from the get-go, if I'm making any sense?

Thanks for any comments.

yup its definitely deceiving
Reply 3
Original post by madscientist54
Of course, makeup can be deceiving. But you just have to acknowledge that or otherwise wear less makeup if u want to find a true lifelong partner.

But I don't even wear a lot of makeup? Almost every girl my age wears makeup, at least a little bit for things like dark circles for the purposes of not looking like you just woke up/are ill.
But I don't even wear a lot of makeup? Almost every girl my age wears makeup, at least a little bit for things like dark circles for the purposes of not looking like you just woke up/are ill.

To me, wearing makeup doesn’t really matter. It depends on you I guess. I rather stay in love with the personality rather than the looks.
Reply 5
Don't wear makeup then

Personally I hate girls that cake themselves to look amazing only to take it off and look like nothing that amazing after all.

Just keep it natural
it is decieving, but if your future partner at least knows how you look without makeup before they marry you, then there's no problem with that.

EDIT: I think it's financially better to spend your money on skin care products rather than on makeup. because at least you'd be fixing it rather than hiding it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by as125
Don't wear makeup then

Personally I hate girls that cake themselves to look amazing only to take it off and look like nothing that amazing after all.

Just keep it natural

I absolutely do not cake my face. I just use mascara to accentuate my eyes, concealer to hide genetic dark circles under eyes (and slightly darker slightly uneven skin tone areas), and a little powder to kinda set everything. For some reason, this little amount of makeup makes a huge difference, which is kinda the issue.
Reply 8
Original post by Professional G
To me, wearing makeup doesn’t really matter. It depends on you I guess. I rather stay in love with the personality rather than the looks.

:h:

Thanks for any comments.

You're overthinking all this bc you never had a guy. A guy who truly loves you will love you no matter how you look or whether you have good hair day or nah or whether you have dark circles.

My girlfriend used to hate not wearing makeup bc she felt like she wasnt enough when she didnt have it. Whenever I did see her without makeup (i.e. when I went to her place before she was ready for example), I always told her how beautiful she looked. I was persuading her to wear less makeup and over time she did. From what I can tell, she grew more confident in herself and I'm proud of her for that.

Wait until you're older and have a proper guy. Then you'll feel like you're perfect. If he doesnt make you feel that way, then he isn't the one.
I don’t think it’s deceiving your just enhancing your natural features, it’s not like your putting tons on. It’s not 100% natural but it doesn’t matter tbh, real men put personality first appearance second.
Bit of a shocker this, but if you wear makeup, then you are not pretty.
Original post by JaydorIV
it is decieving, but if your future partner at least knows how you look without makeup before they marry you, then there's no problem with that.

EDIT: I think it's financially better to spend your money on skin care products rather than on makeup. because at least you'd be fixing it rather than hiding it.

I do use skincare products, but my main issue is my dark circles which are genetic and practically impossible to get rid of with any skincare products. If I didn't have these dark circles, I would literally go out right now with no makeup on.
Original post by SomMC1
You're overthinking all this bc you never had a guy. A guy who truly loves you will love you no matter how you look or whether you have good hair day or nah or whether you have dark circles.

My girlfriend used to hate not wearing makeup bc she felt like she wasnt enough when she didnt have it. Whenever I did see her without makeup (i.e. when I went to her place before she was ready for example), I always told her how beautiful she looked. I was persuading her to wear less makeup and over time she did. From what I can tell, she grew more confident in herself and I'm proud of her for that.

Wait until you're older and have a proper guy. Then you'll feel like you're perfect. If he doesnt make you feel that way, then he isn't the one.

Really appreciate this, thank you
I do use skincare products, but my main issue is my dark circles which are genetic and practically impossible to get rid of with any skincare products. If I didn't have these dark circles, I would literally go out right now with no makeup on.

I wouldn't worry so much about dark circles, I have them, loads of people have them. But if it really does bother you, try my perfect eyes.
who cares if its deceiving?? its your life, you do what makes you happy. if a guy can't accept that you have dark circles then f him?!! he's not worth your time. if wearing makeup makes you look pretty, feel confident/happy, then do it without worrying about how others will perceive you. you owe NOTHING to anyone, no explanation, na-da. you do you.
Really appreciate this, thank you

There’s loads of guys (like me and some on this thread) that aren’t as fussed with looks than other guys. They value personality and compatibility more than looks. A relationship can’t last based on looks cause looks change but personality stays forever. As long as you are fun and kind to be with, looks comes second. 😁
Don’t listen to the haters. You do you, and if that includes makeup, then great!!!! You just need to find a partner who isn’t an ******* who will accept you for it. There’s one out there somewhere.
Original post by rebeccamay_
I don’t think it’s deceiving your just enhancing your natural features, it’s not like your putting tons on. It’s not 100% natural but it doesn’t matter tbh, real men put personality first appearance second.

Yes, because you know what REAL men put first, don't you? After all, you are a REAL man.

It is just enhancing my natural features, tbh. I have quite defined features (accentuated cheekbones, big eyes, shaped lips) but I look boring without makeup, so a bit of makeup, like you said, just accentuates these features a lot. But, the thing that makes me look ugly without makeup is pretty much just my dark circles. Dark circles really make someone look extremely dull, regardless of how the rest of your face looks.

Quick Reply

Latest