The Student Room Group

I have a biology degree. AMA

Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

if you were an astronaut I'd have a lot of questions.
Reply 2
Do you have a job or are you doing further study?
How hard did you find 3rd year compared to 1st and 2nd year?

Asking as an undergrad about to enter 3rd year :h:
what does one want to do with his/her biology degree?
Reply 4
Original post by Aranos
Do you have a job or are you doing further study?
How hard did you find 3rd year compared to 1st and 2nd year?

Asking as an undergrad about to enter 3rd year :h:

I've accepted a place at Nottingham to do a masters degree. I found third year easier since I was more determined, I picked all my modules myself and knew what I needed to do to get a 2:1. The dissertation takes up a lot of time though but it's interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by BTAnonymous
what does one want to do with his/her biology degree?

I have no idea right now but I'm doing a masters degree in September though to broaden my horizon!
Where did you do your degree and did you find it boring?
How do I turn myself into a frog?
Reply 8
Original post by JoshDarnIt
How do I turn myself into a frog?

Agrobacterium-mediated transformation
Original post by madmirrors
Agrobacterium-mediated transformation

Yes I do know the alphabet.
Ask me anything

Have you ever done a sh*t so good it felt gay?
Reply 11
I have no idea right now but I'm doing a masters degree in September though to broaden my horizon!

why did u pick a subject dont know what to do with, didnt u think of it before starting uni. do u think picking up a masters accumulating more debt, use more time on the hope something would be at the end of it is a good apporach
Original post by Ol94
why did u pick a subject dont know what to do with, didnt u think of it before starting uni. do u think picking up a masters accumulating more debt, use more time on the hope something would be at the end of it is a good apporach

I didn't pick a subject I don't know what to do with, my career ideas are always changing and I never plan things too far ahead. Topics I enjoy studying often change and by changing my mind about what topics I enjoy studying often alters what career I wish to delve into. I picked a microbiology masters because I want to gain extra knowledge as I love microbiology plus a masters will mean a higher salary. Also I will gain work experience during my masters which will mean employers will be more likely to give me a job over someone with 0 experience. I'd do any job in biology or microbiology so long as it's well paid and I enjoy it plus I've loved biology since an early age.

Maybe instead of judging people's choices on TSR you should get your priorities straight. 😁
Reply 13
I didn't pick a subject I don't know what to do with, my career ideas are always changing and I never plan things too far ahead. Topics I enjoy studying often change and by changing my mind about what topics I enjoy studying often alters what career I wish to delve into. I picked a microbiology masters because I want to gain extra knowledge as I love microbiology plus a masters will mean a higher salary. Also I will gain work experience during my masters which will mean employers will be more likely to give me a job over someone with 0 experience. I'd do any job in biology or microbiology so long as it's well paid and I enjoy it plus I've loved biology since an early age.

Maybe instead of judging people's choices on TSR you should get your priorities straight. 😁

wasnt judging, u invited us to ask questions and those were the questions
Hey! I’m starting a biology degree in sept at Sheffield Hallam. I’m so excited but obvs so nervous as I hardly have any experience except an access course but I do love it/ like it lol. Not sure what I wanna ask really, just any tips? I think I’ll find it hard but I will put my all into it. ( I’m 28) been around a while worked my ass off in jobs but want to try something new . What sort of career are you thinking? For your masters, is it full time and do you work along side it?
Where did you do your undergrad and what made you pick Notts for the MSc?
Reply 16
How many contact hours in your first year?
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Hey! I’m starting a biology degree in sept at Sheffield Hallam. I’m so excited but obvs so nervous as I hardly have any experience except an access course but I do love it/ like it lol. Not sure what I wanna ask really, just any tips? I think I’ll find it hard but I will put my all into it. ( I’m 28) been around a while worked my ass off in jobs but want to try something new . What sort of career are you thinking? For your masters, is it full time and do you work along side it?

Hey there, I don't really have any tips as such apart from attend all your lectures and stay up to date with the work you get! I'm not 100% sure on 1 career as such like I'd find being a microbiologist interesting or perhaps being a water quality scientist! For my masters I'll be there full time and it's a taught masters so I won't be working fortunately! Good luck in your biology degree at Sheffield Hallam! 😊
Original post by Katieeh1999
How many contact hours in your first year?

That's a good question, I can't remember off the top of my head but in my third year I had 6 hours a week but it's definitely a lot more in first year!
Original post by Exceptional
Where did you do your undergrad and what made you pick Notts for the MSc?

Hey, I attended University of Southampton for my bachelor's. I think the University of Nottingham has a good reputation as it's a high ranking uni and it's also a Russell Group! I also like the course as it goes into depth about the diseases behind microbes 😊

Quick Reply

Latest