The Student Room Group

Vlogging while driving - legal or not?

I have noticed a lot recently so many youtubers vlog whilst driving. I feel this is sending a really bad message to young audiences, especially teens who are learning to drive themselves as they are learning it is ok to distract yourself from driving and therefore endangering lives. Many teenagers myself included watch youtubers who create blogs and drive with me's where they will actively talk and look at the camera while driving, even filming videos with friends. It confuses me why this isn't illegal considering using your phone while driving is illegal and this seems just as distracting, especially considering I have seen videos where their camera has fallen down and they have searched in the footwell of their car to find it and reattach it while driving.

What do. You guys think about this? I can't work out if I am being a grumpy git or if it's a valid issue and more should be done to discourage youtubers from being bad influences
If it's not illegal it definitely should be. It's distracting and therefore dangerous
Original post by PsychStudySarah
I have noticed a lot recently so many youtubers vlog whilst driving. I feel this is sending a really bad message to young audiences, especially teens who are learning to drive themselves as they are learning it is ok to distract yourself from driving and therefore endangering lives. Many teenagers myself included watch youtubers who create blogs and drive with me's where they will actively talk and look at the camera while driving, even filming videos with friends. It confuses me why this isn't illegal considering using your phone while driving is illegal and this seems just as distracting, especially considering I have seen videos where their camera has fallen down and they have searched in the footwell of their car to find it and reattach it while driving.

What do. You guys think about this? I can't work out if I am being a grumpy git or if it's a valid issue and more should be done to discourage youtubers from being bad influences

Yeah I agree, I've seen many youtubers doing that and they are definitely not being a good example to teens and everyone in general
Original post by Pink fizz
If it's not illegal it definitely should be. It's distracting and therefore dangerous

I honestly don't know if it is illegal but I don't think it can be considering videos viewed by millions show it being done and they never get in trouble. Even something as simple as YouTube removing videos showing dangerous driving by vlogging would have a massive positive impact
Reply 4
What's next, are we going to make sat navs illegal? Hands-free phones? Talking to your passengers?
Original post by Sataris
What's next, are we going to make sat navs illegal? Hands-free phones? Talking to your passengers?

Looking at a camera whilst delivering a point is obviously not concentrating on driving, and could well be classed as driving without due care and attention.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sataris

You're not supposed to touch a sat nav whilst driving. Vloggers barely pay attention to the road and if the camera is dropped, they pick it up, taking their eyes completely off the road which is dangerous
Original post by Sataris

Both sat navs and hands free have laws in place on how you can use them, for example you can't change sat nav settings while driving, only follow its directions. The issue is bloggers are actively looking away from the road to talk and look into their cameras and sometimes even hold the camera with one hand meaning they immediately have less control of their vehicle putting themselves and others in danger
Reply 8
Original post by Pink fizz
You're not supposed to touch a sat nav whilst driving. Vloggers barely pay attention to the road and if the camera is dropped, they pick it up, taking their eyes completely off the road which is dangerous

Yes, that's dangerous. Vlogging itself isn't.

Original post by RogerOxon
Looking at a camera whilst delivering a point is obviously not concentrating on driving, and could well be classed as driving without due care and attention.

Hence the comparisons I made

Both sat navs and hands free have laws in place on how you can use them, for example you can't change sat nav settings while driving, only follow its directions. The issue is bloggers are actively looking away from the road to talk and look into their cameras and sometimes even hold the camera with one hand meaning they immediately have less control of their vehicle putting themselves and others in danger

Obviously physically interacting with the camera or staring into it is unacceptable. Simply glancing at it is fine

Tom Scott made a video on this late last year

[video="youtube;_-aDHxoblr4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-aDHxoblr4[/video]

Doesn't touch on the legality, but it does cover safety implications etc. Thought you might be interested.
Reply 10
While it's not specifically illegal, if you're distracted while behind the wheel then that could be counted as driving without due care, which is an endorseable offense. Plus if you were to crash while on camera, not only can the video be uses as evidence against you, it would also probably place you at fault for the accident with your insurance company.
Not a good idea during your test.
Does seem on the stupid side and i'd expect to get pulled over if observed. Wouldn't expect Youtube to step in though, not their problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending