The Student Room Group

I'm a DevOps Engineer for TSR - AMA

Hi,

I'm a brand new recruit to the platform team in TSR. I started on the 1st of August (So bare with me!). My job is to keep the site running and to further improve the backend to further benefit you guys!

I'd thought I'd introduce myself with a AMA about my previous work or anything I can recommend or advice into the world of System Administration and Technology in general!

Ask away and i'll try and get back to you!

Edit - Some background:

Firstly, I didn't go to College or University. I don't have a degree or any equivalent, however i've got almost 7 years working experience inside the System Administration/DevOps area. I got a Apprentiship with Zenos when i left secondary school and progressed through there I used to work inside for a Brighton based VOIP company as well as in the motorsport industry. Unfortunately, I'm under NDAs with both companies so i'm not allowed to tell you any more than that!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for the question!

Firstly, the front end is the end result of my processes and the dev's. There is a massive operation behind the scenes to handle the traffic and demand TSR gets (Especially during these times!). In a nutshell we monitor mostly everything. It gives us a baseline of what we should be expecting during a normal day, compared to clearing for example.

The platform team are on hand to deal with the increase of traffic during clearing using multiple technologies (Trade secrets! :wink: ). We also deal with any issues that arise, even if it's a 3am.

We're always striving to make sure that the user's experience is the best that it can be, and it'll be my job for the future to make specific processes and ongoing projects run smoothly to benefit everyone that uses the site.
Reply 2
How much does a DevOps engineer for TSR make?
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
How much does a DevOps engineer for TSR make?

3 monkeys and comms room access.
Reply 4
What programming language do you use?
Reply 5
Original post by I'm God
What programming language do you use?

Python is my main go to language. It's extremely versatile and easy to learn compared to some other languages.

My previous role was a Senior Systems Administrator, so i used specific tools like Salt, Ansible etc which are for configuration management. These all use YAML based and are pretty much the same.

Thanks for the question.
Reply 6
Hi fellow DevOps Engineer :biggrin:

What's the most challenging aspect of working in DevOps?
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
Hi fellow DevOps Engineer :biggrin:

What's the most challenging aspect of working in DevOps?

Previous endeavours have been very fixed in their ways and not open to new technology, which can be frustrating and become more time consuming to support, resulting in no progress in the whole ecosystem.
Reply 8
What tasks do you do daily? I am specially interested because I am starting a MSc in Software Development in September.
Reply 9
Original post by Adridk
What tasks do you do daily? I am specially interested because I am starting a MSc in Software Development in September.

Good question. Currently (due to just starting) i'm reviewing the current infrastructure that TSR currently has and putting a long term plan together to generally make it faster and more efficient and stable in the long term for everyone.

EDIT: Good luck in your future endeavours!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Workflow
Hi,

I'm a brand new recruit to the platform team in TSR. I started on the 1st of August (So bare with me!). My job is to keep the site running and to further improve the backend to further benefit you guys!

I'd thought I'd introduce myself with a AMA about my previous work or anything I can recommend or advice into the world of System Administration and Technology in general!

Ask away and i'll try and get back to you!

Edit - Some background:

Firstly, I didn't go to College or University. I don't have a degree or any equivalent, however i've got almost 7 years working experience inside the System Administration/DevOps area. I got a Apprentiship with Zenos when i left secondary school and progressed through there I used to work inside for a Brighton based VOIP company as well as in the motorsport industry. Unfortunately, I'm under NDAs with both companies so i'm not allowed to tell you any more than that!

1) how did u become a backend admin without having a degree? dont you need certification to convince your employers of your skills? is apprenticeship alone good enough?

2) do you need to have intensive coding knowledge to do db admin work?

3)how would you compare python with java?

4) how would you compare a 4 year uni degree vs coding bootcamp?

5) Since you have admin access to the db, can you unban my other account? (please).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by HucktheForde
1) how did u become a backend admin without having a degree? dont you need certification to convince your employers of your skills? is apprenticeship alone good enough?

2) do you need to have intensive coding knowledge to do db admin work?

3)how would you compare python with java?

4) how would you compare a 4 year uni degree vs coding bootcamp?

5) Since you have admin access to the db, can you unban my other account? (please).

Sorry for the late reply.

1 - My level of skill has improved through my on the job experience. From 1st line support -> 2nd line -> 3rd line.. etc, you get the drift!
2 - Not really, for deep analysis it helps. Learning MySQL syntax and MongoDB should give you good foundations.
3 - I wouldn't really, they're both very different languages, i feel python is a whole leauge ahead in usability.
4 - I think continuous programming as well as peer reviews is the best way to writing better code, code bootcamps can be good for learning a language at the start however.
5 - Sorry, can't help you there!
What's the best thing you've found about working for TSR so far?
And the worst thing?

Are you looking forward to results days or are they a nightmare for your team?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
What is your 17th favourite letter of the alphabet?
Reply 14
Original post by Lemur14
What's the best thing you've found about working for TSR so far?
And the worst thing?

Are you looking forward to results days or are they a nightmare for your team?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a brilliant place to work with a brilliant bunch of people that are committed to the cause.
The worst thing is that I've just started, so still learning!

They can be intense on the systems we run, that's for sure! People are generally excited
How do you rate the coffee there? I thought it was pretty good. Also, have you had a bagel yet?
Original post by Workflow
It's a brilliant place to work with a brilliant bunch of people that are committed to the cause.
The worst thing is that I've just started, so still learning!

They can be intense on the systems we run, that's for sure! People are generally excited

Learning is good though :tongue:
It is exciting :excited: although I doubt I will agree when I'm in office at 6am next Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Paracosm
How do you rate the coffee there? I thought it was pretty good. Also, have you had a bagel yet?

Good coffee and lots of it, however, being in Brighton, small batch is always around the corner.
Reply 18
Original post by Lemur14
Learning is good though :tongue:
It is exciting :excited: although I doubt I will agree when I'm in office at 6am next Thursday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ironically I've got a pre-booked holiday, so won't be here!
Reply 19
Original post by Your Local Cat
What is your 17th favourite letter of the alphabet?

Rho. You didn't specify which language

Quick Reply

Latest