The Student Room Group

medicine adjustment

Hi I was wondering if adjustment in medicine is possible, I currently hold two offers for med, but not sure id be happy going to my firm, since i was rejected by UCL which is where my hopes were really set. lots of poeple have said that adjustment in medicine doesnt really exist, yet an articly published by ucas showed around 20 people entered a medical school (Assuming they essentially 'transferred' medical schools on results day) in 2016, so bit confused?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mass_
Hi I was wondering if adjustment in medicine is possible, I currently hold two offers for med, but not sure id be happy going to my firm, since i was rejected by UCL which is where my hopes were really set. lots of poeple have said that adjustment in medicine doesnt really exist, yet an articly published by ucas showed around 20 people entered a medical school (Assuming they essentially 'transferred' medical schools on results day) in 2016, so bit confused?

Medicine can be in clearing but adjustment doesn't. it is 5 years of your life but would you take the risk you wouldn't get in if you ended up having to reapply.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Medicine can be in clearing but adjustment doesn't. it is 5 years of your life but would you take the risk you wouldn't get in if you ended up having to reapply.

thanks for your answer but you have failed to explain the report which showed approximately 20 people got into medicine via adjustment?
I've never seen it on adjustment. It does go into clearing in small numbers. They still interview and the entry requirements are still AAA+.

But you are being silly. Getting into med schools is a big achievment well done. Stop fixating on UCL.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
I've never seen it on adjustment. It does go into clearing in small numbers. They still interview and the entry requirements are still AAA+

But you are being silly. Getting into med schools is a big achievment well done. Stop fixating on UCL.

Thank you ! the report did say 20 people got in through adjustmnet though :/
Original post by mass_
thanks for your answer but you have failed to explain the report which showed approximately 20 people got into medicine via adjustment?

would you be able to link the report to me so i could take a look? One possibility is that some universities, say if a couple of students suddenly can't attend and they don't have a waiting list, it's too much effort to use ucas for two clearing places for amount of the phone calls it would generate but they could offer places to people who called and put them through as an adjustment or clearing choice that way, it's very rare but it happens.

Also courses that do sometimes have waiting lists can end up needing to use those and those people could have had other offers and then been offered a place through adjustment as they were at the top of that waiting list.
Reply 6
would you be able to link the report to me so i could take a look? One possibility is that some universities, say if a couple of students suddenly can't attend and they don't have a waiting list, it's too much effort to use ucas for two clearing places for amount of the phone calls it would generate but they could offer places to people who called and put them through as an adjustment or clearing choice that way, it's very rare but it happens.

Also courses that do sometimes have waiting lists can end up needing to use those and those people could have had other offers and then been offered a place through adjustment as they were at the top of that waiting list.

https://www.ucas.com/file/84231/download?token=ooGyWYYN

that was my intention in terms of calling in
Original post by mass_
https://www.ucas.com/file/84231/download?token=ooGyWYYN

that was my intention in terms of calling in

you can call them but as you can see the odds are very low of that being successful so don't pin your hopes on it.
Original post by mass_

its defo been done before as shown by the report - assuming all does well on results day you could possibly ring them up and ask but don't keep your hopes up to be honest
Reply 9
you can call them but as you can see the odds are very low of that being successful so don't pin your hopes on it.

thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by a-spiringmedic
its defo been done before as shown by the report - assuming all does well on results day you could possibly ring them up and ask but don't keep your hopes up to be honest

thanks , by any chance do you kniow what rpa means on that report :/
Original post by mass_
thanks , by any chance do you kniow what rpa means on that report :/

i think its deferred entry, rpa means record of prior acceptance
Reply 12
Original post by a-spiringmedic
i think its deferred entry, rpa means record of prior acceptance

oh right i see
UCL barely have places in adjustment let alone medicine tbh. All medical schools are good and they're all taught in very similar ways anyways so don't stress
Original post by GalGirl101
... and they're all taught in very similar ways anyways so don't stress

That's the opposite of true - its probably the most varied course in existence!

But i strongly agree with the notion of just letting this go!
That's the opposite of true - its probably the most varied course in existence!

But i strongly agree with the notion of just letting this go!

Hm. I get what you mean as an Oxford graduate would be viewed in a higher regard than one from a lower on the league table uni but a medicine graduate is a medicine graduate and teaching styles are apparently beginning to align as one. It's varied but not the "most varied". I would give that title to history or english. That could mean a variety of topics in my eyes.
Hm. I get what you mean as an Oxford graduate would be viewed in a higher regard than one from a lower on the league table uni but a medicine graduate is a medicine graduate and teaching styles are apparently beginning to align as one. It's varied but not the "most varied". I would give that title to history or english. That could mean a variety of topics in my eyes.

You originally said "taught in similar ways" so i am talking about teaching methods, not content/"topics", although that does also vary a bit.

Medicine has Problem Based Learning vs lectures vs seminars vs biochemistry labs vs dissection vs living anatomy vs simulation on dummies vs roleplay using actors. In hospital it has following passively on ward rounds vs bedside teaching vs observing/asisting surgery vs seeing and examining patients alone yourself, to mention but a few. There are also factors like early clinical contact vs late, integrated course vs clear divide, highly regulated and prescriptive logbooks vs student independence, frequent exams vs less frequent. Even final exams vary from the very last week to more than a year before the course finishes.

What variation does English have again? :p:
(edited 5 years ago)
You originally said "taught in similar ways" so i am talking about teaching methods, not content/"topics", although that does also vary a bit.

Medicine has Problem Based Learning vs lectures vs seminars vs biochemistry labs vs dissection vs living anatomy vs simulation on dummies vs roleplay using actors. In hospital it has following passively on ward rounds vs bedside teaching vs observing/asisting surgery vs seeing and examining patients alone yourself, to mention but a few. There are also factors like early clinical contact vs late, integrated course vs clear divide, highly regulated and prescriptive logbooks vs student independence, frequent exams vs less frequent. Even final exams vary from the very last week to more than a year before the course finishes.

What variation does English have again? :p:

You've made a good point in regards to medicine but that last sentence? "What variation does English have again? :p:" is, and i'm sorry, inaccurate

You have language vs literature first of all. The in literature alone you have american vs british vs other countries. Poems vs Short Stories vs Novels vs Plays. Then you come into the eras. Roman era vs Greeks vs middle ages vs 13th century-14th century vs tudors vs Shakespeare vs victorian vs 1900s onwards vs 21st century. Writing critical essays with some sort of structure and having appropriate arguments that correctly critique said text. Making sure your arguments are unique despite some works being 500 years old but not being stereotypical and "been there seen that". Then with language you have looking at how language changes and since most of our language comes from latin, you're looking at almost 1000 years worth of changes. There's also sociolinguistics which looks at different dialects and not always related to changes. At uni you also have to face more coursework, less exams vs less coursework, more exams and each uni varies greatly with the amount of lectures given.

Anyone with a decent memory can memorise facts (they probably won't be able to do a full on medicine degree) but not everyone can think critically to the point of defending their argument with evidence from the text. And with the subject being very subjective in general, there's no right or wring answer. It's how well you can convince your reader that your argument is right.

Medicine is a hard degree and it's varied, I will now agree with you on that

But don't try and laugh it off by saying english has no variation. It's got plenty. But it's a bit useless to try and compare both when they're completely different.

And this is a bit off topic from the OPs original post so I probably won't continue this in respect to the OP but feel free to come into my PM or make another thread.
You've made a good point in regards to medicine but that last sentence? "What variation does English have again? :p:" is, and i'm sorry, inaccurate

Again, i said in terms of teaching methods. "Taught in similar ways" - your words. Different med schools vary how they teach as per my examples.

English teaching is lectures and seminars and that's about it. Everything you described is content!
Yes medicine in clearing is possible. I had 0 offers through ucas. But now have an offer to study at sgul after passing the interview in clearing.

But defo dont bet on it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show