The Student Room Group

School supplies!

What supplies do you actually need for your gcses? I’m starting my first year when we go back and i don’t actually know what I’ll actually need! Thanks 😁
You’ll need clear pencil case, black ball point pens (exams only allow black pens), maths set, scientific calculator, rubber, pencils, if you’re into making fancy notes maybe some coloured pens. Then you might need some notebooks to write your revision inside, including squared paper (cheap and good from wilko ) for maths. For mocks/exams flash cards would also come in handy
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by xkatiexvioletx
What supplies do you actually need for your gcses? I’m starting my first year when we go back and i don’t actually know what I’ll actually need! Thanks 😁

The basic pen pencil ruler. I found having a variety of coloured pens/highlighters (pastel ones are my favourite!) useful so if we ever made any useful notes in classes I could make them stand out for when I use the book to help with revision. I'm not sure what subjects you are taking but for French and Spanish, I have found taking a notebook to that lesson helpful so I can make notes of any extra things that the teacher might have mentioned that are a slightly higher level and will impress examiners. Ringbinders are also quite useful for each subject to keep any extra work you keep at home organised. A scientific calculator is always useful as, if the ones at your school are like the ones at mine, they can be very confusing. I'd recommend the Casio one.

Hope that has helped you 😀
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kst_xx
The basic pen pencil ruler. I found having a variety of coloured pens/highlighters (pastel ones are my favourite!) useful so if we ever made any useful notes in classes I could make them stand out for when I use the book to help with revision. I'm not sure what subjects you are taking but for French and Spanish, I have found taking a notebook to that lesson helpful so I can make notes of any extra things that the teacher might have mentioned that are a slightly higher level and will impress examiners. Ringbinders are also quite useful for each subject to keep any extra work you keep at home organised. A scientific calculator is always useful as, if the ones at you're school are like the ones at mine, they can be very confusing. I'd recommend the Casio one.

Hope that has helped you 😀

Thank you that was very useful!
Reply 4
Thank you that was very useful!

Glad I could help!
In your actual exams you can only take in a clear pencil case. However, my school provided equipment for each exam so I’m not sure if you’ll really need it.

You’ll need a basic maths set - protractor, compass, ruler and calculator. Get yourself an eraser, some pencils and about a million black biros. (All of this will be found in your exam pencil case and this is all you will ever need in an exam. Obviously, you won’t need everything for every exam. (:smile:

Highlighters and revision cards are helpful but not necessary. It honestly just depends if you want them. Same with coloured pencils and fancy pens - good for revision and classes but not necessary for exams.

Good luck in the years to come!

Some of this will vary depending on what your school has supplies of but everything you could possibly need is pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, scissors, sharpener, compass, protractor, you don't need a set square, glue stick, colour pencils/pens and highlighters. Coloured pens could just be regular ones or could be felt tip pens or fineliners. And a scientific calculator as the ones school provide are usually the rubbish sharp ones which is harder to use and there isn't always enough.

For exams you need a black ball point pen,
and a clear pencil case but keep the pencil case for exams separate as you can't use colours in the exams but you are allowed to highlight though, but not for any designs or answers.
Post it notes and record or index cards or you probably just know them as flashcards for revision, and a notebook may come in handy.
Ringbinders would be more useful at home rather than school, if you need it for any subjects your teacher will say.
(edited 5 years ago)
I already have most of these supplies, so I'll list them:

Clear pencil case for exams, and/or a normal pencil case for school.

Pens, preferably ballpoint for exams again. I find Bic pens and Zebra pens good.

Pencils, any will do.

Ruler, 15cm and 30cm, preferably one that can fold.

Rubber

Sharpener

Compass & Protractor (basically a maths set)

Scientific Calculator, preferably the Casio one.

Optional:

Scissors

2 Highlighters

Reply 8
Get a pen that's comfortable to write with. You'll be doing a lot of writing so it's worth spending a bit of money on a decent one. I'd also get mechanical pencils. And highlighters are really useful for notes. You can get pencil highlighters that don't bleed or dry out. That might be a good option. Obviously your maths kit, protractor compass scientific calculator etc. Clear pencil case. And a ruler.

Quick Reply

Latest