The Student Room Group

Netflix is using an email and password that I didn't sign up with

Today I got the free one month trial of Netflix on my ipad and I signed up with my normal email address and password and everything seemed to be okay. I then went out for a few hours and came back home, went on the ipad and I just wanted to check my Netflix account details. I checked it and for some reason, the email on the account is not what I signed up with. It's some random email ending with @yopmail.com (which I dont even use, whatever it is), meaning I can't login on any other device. The name of my Netflix profile changed to the name of the email (without the @yopmail.com bit). I bought the standard netflix subscription so my brother also logged in on that account this morning. The weird thing is, the password is the same length as the password I made the account with, however I can't see what it actually is because it's all in stars. Because of this, I couldn't sign in on anything like my xbox or pc as it kept saying "Sorry, we can't find an account with this email address. Please try again or create a new one."

I found this all suspicious so I cancelled my subscription and removed my billing info from the ipad. Has anyone else had this issue?
Update: I found what yopmail is, it says its an Email address generator. Disposable and anonymous email. jetable email address.
anti-spam.
www.yopmail.com/en/email-generator.php
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I use itunes to pay for netflix what I understood is you use a credit card. Try emailing them and telling htem whta happened.
Original post by strfkr
Today I got the free one month trial of Netflix on my ipad and I signed up with my normal email address and password and everything seemed to be okay. I then went out for a few hours and came back home, went on the ipad and I just wanted to check my Netflix account details. I checked it and for some reason, the email on the account is not what I signed up with. It's some random email ending with @yopmail.com (which I dont even use, whatever it is), meaning I can't login on any other device. The name of my Netflix profile changed to the name of the email (without the @yopmail.com bit). I bought the standard netflix subscription so my brother also logged in on that account this morning. The weird thing is, the password is the same length as the password I made the account with, however I can't see what it actually is because it's all in stars. Because of this, I couldn't sign in on anything like my xbox or pc as it kept saying "Sorry, we can't find an account with this email address. Please try again or create a new one."

I found this all suspicious so I cancelled my subscription and removed my billing info from the ipad. Has anyone else had this issue?
Update: I found what yopmail is, it says its an Email address generator. Disposable and anonymous email. jetable email address.
anti-spam.
www.yopmail.com/en/email-generator.php

Did your brother sign into another or create another account. I was going to say maybe you've been hacked but the email probably wouldn't have changed if that was the case unless you can change the email
Reply 3
Original post by Iahmed512
Did your brother sign into another or create another account. I was going to say maybe you've been hacked but the email probably wouldn't have changed if that was the case unless you can change the email

My brother only made a profile for himself on the account I made because on the standard subscription two people can watch at once. Other than that, he says he hasn't done anything.
Original post by strfkr
My brother only made a profile for himself on the account I made because on the standard subscription two people can watch at once. Other than that, he says he hasn't done anything.

I think it could have been hacked then, have you been able to sign into the account yet, or are you able to reset the password? You might need to contact Netflix if you can't. As the email and password can indeed be changed.
Reply 5
Original post by Iahmed512
I think it could have been hacked then, have you been able to sign into the account yet, or are you able to reset the password? You might need to contact Netflix if you can't. As the email and password can indeed be changed.

yea, I contacted them this morning and they confirmed someone had gotten into my account. Luckily they sent me a link where I could change my email and password and it seems to have gotten back to normal. I'm just surprised at how quickly my Netflix had been hacked into.
Original post by strfkr
yea, I contacted them this morning and they confirmed someone had gotten into my account. Luckily they sent me a link where I could change my email and password and it seems to have gotten back to normal. I'm just surprised at how quickly my Netflix had been hacked into.

Glad it's been sorted. Use two factor authentication if that's an option to reduce the chance of it happening again. The hacking Might have been because of the password strength or a netflix breach if other accounts were affected.

Quick Reply

Latest