The Student Room Group

Student Finance in Ireland

As I'm anxiously awaiting my A level results I've been looking into the feasibility of studying in Ireland instead; initially on the grounds that I have family (including a parent) there that I could move in with, which would obviously reduce my living costs. It appears to me now, however, that it could be preferable entirely to studying in the UK at the universities I've applied to, because there doesn't seem to be any necessity for student loans.

As far as I'm aware, as: (1):an EU citizen (2):looking to undertake a full time undergraduate course (3):lasting at least 2 years; meeting all of the requirements stated here, I'd be eligible for the free fees scheme, which appears to be the Irish equivalent of the tuition loan in the UK, meaning I would not have to pay tuition fees.

Besides tuition fees, I believe there is a yearly student contribution of up to €3,000. This can also be covered by a maintenance grant, applied for through SUSI, which I also appear to be eligible for. This maintenance grant also appears to contribute towards living costs, the extent of which would be determined by the sum of the income of both me and my parents.

Information on all of this seems to be really sparse and I'm not entirely sure I'm reading this correctly as what it's saying to me is, in short: if I opt to study in Ireland I won't end up with the tens of thousands of pounds of student debt I would in the UK.

Am I correct? If this is the case I'm genuinely tempted to take a gap year and reapply in Ireland for 2019 entry, regardless of whether or not I meet the entry requirements for my offers in the UK for 2018 entry, for the sake of avoiding student debt and all the fun and games I'm sure comes with it.

The only downsides I can see are that this would extend my education by 2 years (by both the addition of a gap year, and the additional year of the course - the Irish equivalent to the 3 year course I'm applying to in the UK is 4 years), and that I would have to find something to do in this gap year all of a sudden. I am aware of brexit but it should be a non-issue as I am able to and would obtain Irish citizenship.
Reply 1
Original post by theteacat
As I'm anxiously awaiting my A level results I've been looking into the feasibility of studying in Ireland instead; initially on the grounds that I have family (including a parent) there that I could move in with, which would obviously reduce my living costs. It appears to me now, however, that it could be preferable entirely to studying in the UK at the universities I've applied to, because there doesn't seem to be any necessity for student loans.

As far as I'm aware, as: (1):an EU citizen (2):looking to undertake a full time undergraduate course (3):lasting at least 2 years; meeting all of the requirements stated here, I'd be eligible for the free fees scheme, which appears to be the Irish equivalent of the tuition loan in the UK, meaning I would not have to pay tuition fees.

Besides tuition fees, I believe there is a yearly student contribution of up to €3,000. This can also be covered by a maintenance grant, applied for through SUSI, which I also appear to be eligible for. This maintenance grant also appears to contribute towards living costs, the extent of which would be determined by the sum of the income of both me and my parents.

Information on all of this seems to be really sparse and I'm not entirely sure I'm reading this correctly as what it's saying to me is, in short: if I opt to study in Ireland I won't end up with the tens of thousands of pounds of student debt I would in the UK.

Am I correct? If this is the case I'm genuinely tempted to take a gap year and reapply in Ireland for 2019 entry, regardless of whether or not I meet the entry requirements for my offers in the UK for 2018 entry, for the sake of avoiding student debt and all the fun and games I'm sure comes with it.

The only downsides I can see are that this would extend my education by 2 years (by both the addition of a gap year, and the additional year of the course - the Irish equivalent to the 3 year course I'm applying to in the UK is 4 years), and that I would have to find something to do in this gap year all of a sudden. I am aware of brexit but it should be a non-issue as I am able to and would obtain Irish citizenship.

Why do you need to take a gap year? Is the course definitely full?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've missed both the deadline and the late deadline for applications through CAO (UCAS equivalent?). I've contacted a uni directly to ask if I would have to wait to apply next year at this point, but I think it's highly unlikely they would be able to offer me a place for 2018 entry.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

I received a response from the university I contacted this morning stating that their applications are now closed and I'd have to apply for 2019 entry.
Reply 4
Original post by theteacat
I received a response from the university I contacted this morning stating that their applications are now closed and I'd have to apply for 2019 entry.

Ok that's that then...

They should also be able to advise on your fee status, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending